none
S2D Cluster Quorum change RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a 6 node Server 2016 S2D Cluster which was initially set up with a File Share Witness. The file share is located on a VM in another cluster. I will soon be adding a new node for a total of 7. Should I alter the Quorum settings or still run with File Share Witness?

It looks like my witness configuration also writes a file to the S2D-clusters first volume c:\clusterstorage\volume1\hyper-v\shared. The file is called groupregistry.vmcx and cannot be removed. I want to remove this volume, but I cannot figure out how to do this. Any suggestions?

Thursday, May 16, 2019 7:00 AM

Answers

All replies

• File share witness will continue to work fine with an additional node in the cluster.

If you want to get rid of the volume, you can temporarily change the quorum on your cluster to no quorum and then change back to file share witness by pointing to a new location for the file share.  At that time you should be able to delete the volume which contained the original file share.  This can be done during cluster operations.  It will not affect the running of the cluster.

tim

Thursday, May 16, 2019 12:19 PM
  • Good idea, I will test this in a couple of days
    Thursday, May 16, 2019 1:22 PM
  • Hi,

In addition,disk witness stores a complete copy of the cluster database.

It is recommended to use a disk witness in a cluster where shared storage is available.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mspfe/2012/11/05/file-share-witness-vs-disk-witness-for-local-clusters/

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, May 17, 2019 2:55 AM
  • Hi,

Just check the situation about your issue.

Best Regards,
    Frank

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 20, 2019 8:58 AM

• Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 7:59 AM
  • Changing quorum worked fine, but I still can't remove c:\clusterstorage\volume1. If a set this volume to offline, none of the VMs can be migrated between hosts. Error Message: Failed to verify Collection registry for virtual machine.

Can a solution be to change the mapping on the disk that I want to remove, and then add a new disk mapped as c:\clusterstorage\volume1? How can I change this in a safe way?

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 1:43 PM
  • I just renamed the folder c:\clusterstorage\volume1 to volume7, added a new volume as volume1, copied the data to the new volume and removed the original volume
    • Proposed as answer by raillkattlia Friday, June 21, 2019 12:50 PM
    Friday, June 21, 2019 12:50 PM