none
Tasklist ERROR: Not Found

Question

• Hey all,

So I have a Windows 2008 server (32 Bit) and I'm trying to run Tasklist from the command prompt.  When I do so, I recieve the "ERROR: Not Found" error.  If I run it with the "?" flag then I do get the help file.  I have done some searching but haven't found any solutions that work.

I just finished running a check disk, which was the last option that I saw.  I also restored the files from a different server that is working but it still isn't.  I have reviewed my eventlogs but don't see any that might be associated with this issue. 

I just don't know where to go from here.  Any suggestions??

Thanks...

Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:51 PM

Answers

• Sorry, cleaning up old forum posts.  The issue was the antivirus on the system.  For some reason it was blocking this from running correctly, I reloaded Trend and it started working again.

Thursday, April 16, 2015 12:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

> So I have a Windows 2008 server (32 Bit) and I'm trying to run Tasklist from the command prompt. When I
    > do so, I recieve the "ERROR: Not Found" error

Which user context did you run command prompt, administrator or normal users? Have you tried to run it with elevated command prompt?

Since you run Windows 2008 Server, you can find tasklist.exe in location “%windir%\system32\tasklist.exe”

Run command prompt with elevated privilege, and change command execute path to “%windir%\system32\”, then run tasklist.exe and check the result.

Also please check whether you can run “taskkill.exe” command?

Test that and give us feedback for further troubleshooting.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Tasklist
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491010.aspx
    Cannot Use Tasklist.exe Error: Not Found
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/5da0e28e-24fb-4223-a548-372623f9b723

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 20, 2012 3:04 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? Have you resolved the problem?

If there is anything that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to let us know, and we will be happy to help.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 23, 2012 5:16 AM
  • Hey Lawrence,

I ran through all of the items that you had.  I think I tracked down the issue to be something with the WMI.  After running some diags on that it reported  a number of issues.  I tried all the fixes for the WMI and my error message changed however I wasn't able to get it fixed.  So, I ended up creating a new HyperV server and migrated all the data and services over.  It is always a pain to re-image a server but the backup solution we have requires that these work so I didn't really have any choice.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Does anyone know how to close and issue without marking something as an answer as there isn't a resolution to this problem?

Monday, July 23, 2012 6:10 PM
  • Hello Charles, 

1. I suggest you use WMI Diagnosis Utility http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff404265.aspx to fix WMI errors, if any ?
    2. Try to login into the server with safe mode(F8) and run a command tasklist or tasklist /?
    3. Still problem persists, please post unedited command prompt output when you run tasklist or tasklist /? commands.

Regards, Ravikumar P

Monday, July 23, 2012 7:01 PM
  • I found this solution that worked for me....

Re-register the WMI components, run the following commands at the command prompt:

cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
    for %i in (*.dll) do RegSvr32 -s %i
    for %i in (*.exe) do %i /RegServer

Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Hey all,

I ended up wiping the server and re-install from scratch.  All of the attempts to re-register dlls failed. 

I don't like this as a solution but since I no longer have the server to do any testing on this issue will remain a mystery.

Thanks,

Charlie

Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:33 PM
  • Tips: REMOVE TASKLIST COMMAND PROBLEM FROM COMMAND PROMPT (CMD)

Hello Sir/Madam,

Sometime, When we type tasklist command in command prompt(cmd) then following message is displayed after click "Enter " button; which is

freamedyn.all batch file has been corrupted or removed so please re-installed batch file..

casues:"Application is not installed properly"

Solution:

Open "Run" dialog box using(Win+R) and then type : "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem" and search for "Framedyn.dll" which is batch file ;this file can be existed  either inside Wbem folder or dllcahe folder(type:C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllcahe).

If this file has been deleted or corrupted then insert Windows(xp,7,8) CD inside CD-ROM and open CMD

type : sfc / scannow command and then pc automatically copied all protected in-built file from CD.

Whether you don't have Window CD then go to this URL:http://www.dllme.com/dll/download/3879/framedyn.dll   and download framedyn.dll

Important Steps:

either after installation or downloaded framedyn.all file from CD  or copy framedyn.all file from dllcahe folder or wbem folder just copied framedyn.all and paste in following folder:

"C:\WINDOWS\System32"

then check tasklist command in cmd either if it is popup all tasks list from all user then it is right or if it is not executing then i am really sorry...

If it is working and you have became happy..so don't forget give me Your good wishes and Blessing....

THANKING YOU....

Monday, January 20, 2014 3:16 PM
  • Sorry, cleaning up old forum posts.  The issue was the antivirus on the system.  For some reason it was blocking this from running correctly, I reloaded Trend and it started working again.

Thursday, April 16, 2015 12:32 PM