none
Test-SRTopology: PDH operation failed with status: 0x102 RRS feed

• Question

• Two servers, Server A and Server B, both joined to AD, different subnets, IPv4 connectivity between the servers seems ok (IPv6 is disabled).

Ran the Test-SRTopology cmdlet and got this error when it finished:

WARNING: PdhOpenQuery: PDH operation failed with status: 0x102
    WARNING: Microsoft.FileServices.SR.Powershell.SrNativePerfCounterHelper+PdhException
    WARNING:    at Microsoft.FileServices.SR.Powershell.SrNativePerfCounterHelper..ctor(String CounterPath)
       at Microsoft.FileServices.SR.Powershell.Utilities.GetAvgDiskThroughput(String ComputerName, String Counter, String VolumeName, UInt32
    DurationInSecond, UInt32 IntervalInSeconds, Boolean IsCSV)
       at Microsoft.FileServices.SR.Powershell.TestSRTopologyCommand.<>c__DisplayClass75_0.<PerformRecoveryTest>b__2()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
    Test-SRTopology : PdhOpenQuery: PDH operation failed with status: 0x102
    At line:1 char:1
    + Test-SRTopology -SourceComputerName ServerA -SourceVolumeName D ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (:) [Test-SRTopology], PdhException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : TestSRTopologyFailure,Microsoft.FileServices.SR.Powershell.TestSRTopologyCommand

Can't see anything in any event logs so far... any ideas?

• Moved by Amy Wang_Moderator Tuesday, September 6, 2016 12:33 PM Unrelated to Windows Server Technical Preview
    • Moved by Mary DongModerator Wednesday, September 7, 2016 6:16 AM the feature in technical preview
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 10:13 AM

Answers

All replies

• Note that this is running on Windows Server 2016 TP5 - all latest updates installed.
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 12:43 PM
  • Because Storage Replica is not available on any other version of Windows at the moment. Hence posting in the Windows Server Technical Preview forum!
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 12:44 PM
  • Hi robincm2,

Thanks for your post.

As you said, storage replica is the new feature on server 2016. And since server 2016 is still in previous version, it still hasn't be released officially. I'm afraid there's no much explanation for this error code.

Based on my research, pdh seems to be Performance Data Helper. But still not sure what does the error code mean.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/aa373046(v=vs.85).aspx

And you could also check the information below for now about storage replica to check the configuration.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-sg/library/dn765475.aspx#BKMK_SR

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-sg/library/mt126104.aspxhttps://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2015/06/02/the-storage-replica-video-series-plan-your-replication-using-test-srtopology-in-windows-server-2016-technical-preview-2/

I'm sorry, since the resource limit I couldn't do the test for that. And the information about server 2016 is also limited. If after checking, it still shows the prompt. We could wait for the official explanation from Microsoft website.

And you also submit you idea in “ To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...” below. You might get feedback with others in similar scenario.

Appreciate your support and understanding.

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 6:42 AM
  • I got the same message. On the second attempt I got a different message indicating a problem with the csv format. I changed my regional format to English United States, rebooted, and then on the second attempt the test passed. 

Getting there

Monday, October 3, 2016 3:33 PM
  • Hi, I am the owner of Storage Replica. Two questions:

1. Do you see this issue when using the RTM eval version of Windows Server 2016 with its cumulative update installed?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2016

I mean this in the nicest possible way: I don't care about TP5 problems. :)

2. If you still see the issue on RTM, can you tell me your regional and language settings on these servers? Especially if they are not EN-US.

Thanks,

Ned Pyle [MSFT] | Principal Program Manager for Storage Replica, DFS Replication, Scale-out File Server, SMB, other stuff

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 5:34 PM
  • Hi Ned, thanks for getting in touch, much appreciated!

1) I'll get that downloaded and tested ASAP. I did check the VLSC to see if 2016 was available there today, but nothing yet. I didn't realise the RTM eval was available.

2) Will answer once I've done 1, but for info, I had TP5 set to United Kingdom.

Once I'd got the storage replica going, I then had issues trying to actually do anything with it (include remove it). The PowerShell cmdlets would show me that there was a replica present, but then complain they couldn't find one if I tried to do anything it. I'm guessing that may well be sorted in RTM too then...

Will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks for getting this feature finally added to Windows Server Ned, has been a massive hole in the storage side of things for so long, and kind of became even more evident when all the other good storage stuff was added in 2012 - but I suppose you can only work on so many new things at once, and anything storage related has to be super-reliable :-)

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 8:51 PM
  • We have seen this before, back in TP4, but we couldn't reproduce it and the owners of PDH couldn't either (the problem appears to be an intermittent load bug in that perf library). One workaround was to try the same command twice. Obviously, this is dumb and I wouldn't call that a proper answer. :) It was found by our localization testers, which is why my gut was to understand the language and region settings. I may have some further logging to request once you can reproduce this on RTM, will play it by ear.

I am very glad you like this feature and very sorry it took us so long!

Ned Pyle [MSFT] | Principal Program Manager for Storage Replica, DFS Replication, Scale-out File Server, SMB, other stuff

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 10:04 PM
  • Hello again!!

OK so finally I've been able to test this. I'm using the proper 2016 (not the trial) because that's available to me now.

I'm afraid that I am getting the same error. UK regional settings.

PS C:\Windows\system32> Test-SRTopology -SourceComputerName FS-SiteA -SourceVolumeName D: -SourceLogVolumeName L: -Destin
    ationComputerName FS-SiteB -DestinationVolumeName D: -DestinationLogVolumeName L: -DurationInMinutes 5 -ResultPath C:\Use
    rs\aarcm\desktop -Verbose
    Validating data and log volumes...
    VERBOSE: Volume D: exists on FS-SiteA
    VERBOSE: Volume L: exists on FS-SiteA
    VERBOSE: Volume D: exists on FS-SiteB
    VERBOSE: Volume L: exists on FS-SiteB
    VERBOSE: Partition D: on FS-SiteA is a GPT-style partition
    VERBOSE: Partition L: on FS-SiteA is a GPT-style partition
    VERBOSE: Partition D: on FS-SiteB is a GPT-style partition
    VERBOSE: Partition L: on FS-SiteB is a GPT-style partition
    VERBOSE: Volume D: on FS-SiteA and D: on FS-SiteB are identical in size
    VERBOSE: File system on volume L: on FS-SiteA is NTFS
    VERBOSE: File system on volume L: on FS-SiteB is NTFS
    VERBOSE: Sector size of the volume D: on FS-SiteA and D: on FS-SiteB is identical
    VERBOSE: Sector size of the volume L: on FS-SiteA and L: on FS-SiteB is identical
    VERBOSE: The log volume L: in FS-SiteA has enough free space to hold the recommended log volume size of 8GB
    VERBOSE: The log volume L: in FS-SiteB has enough free space to hold the recommended log volume size of 8GB
    VERBOSE: Target server FS-SiteB can be managed remotely using WMI
    VERBOSE: Firewalls are configured to allow SMB protocol traffic to and from FS-SiteB
    VERBOSE: The roundtrip average latency between the source server FS-SiteA and target server FS-SiteB is within the
    recommended latency threshold of 5 milliseconds
    VERBOSE: FS-SiteA meets the physical memory requirement to deploy Storage Replica
    VERBOSE: FS-SiteB meets the physical memory requirement to deploy Storage Replica
    Measuring Storage Replica recovery and initial synchronization performance...
    WARNING: Microsoft.FileServices.SR.Powershell.SrNativePerfCounterHelper+PdhException
    WARNING:    at Microsoft.FileServices.SR.Powershell.SrNativePerfCounterHelper..ctor(String CounterPath)
       at Microsoft.FileServices.SR.Powershell.Utilities.GetAvgDiskThroughput(String ComputerName, String Counter, String
    VolumeName, UInt32 DurationInSecond, UInt32 IntervalInSeconds, Boolean IsCSV)
       at Microsoft.FileServices.SR.Powershell.TestSRTopologyCommand.<>c__DisplayClass75_0.<PerformRecoveryTest>b__2()
    At line:1 char:1
    + Test-SRTopology -SourceComputerName FS-SiteA -SourceVolumeName D: -Sou ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (:) [Test-SRTopology], PdhException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : TestSRTopologyFailure,Microsoft.FileServices.SR.Powershell.TestSRTopologyCommand

I'd be more than happy to help with any testing/log gathering etc. and I will try and respond in hours not weeks...!

By the way, your video on SR is excellent https://myignite.microsoft.com/videos/2689 (and very funny!) :-)

Cheers!

Thursday, October 27, 2016 3:40 PM
  • Sorry for my delay in reply, I was at a conference last week and lost track (doesn't help that forum is not emailing me like it's supposed to :/ ).

We will try a new repro of this here using this config and I'll get back to you as quick as I can. Thanks for the kind words. :)

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 5:10 PM
  • Hi RobinCM2, Ned and Cronje,

I got the same error when running Test-SRTopology with x2 node x1 on-prem and x1 in Azure across a S2S VPN. The error only occurred after I modified the on-prem Hyper-V guest data and log vHDDs with a physicalSectorSize of 512 from 4096 in order to match this to the Azure node data and log file vHDDs.

Does anyone know if it's possible to modify the physicalSectorSize of the vHDDs  for a vhd file in Azure configured as blob storage? I'd like to try setting both ends with a PhysicalSectorSize of 4096 and run Test-SRTopology again.

I also tried changing the regional settings to English (United States) to match on both nodes however I'm still getting the error.

Also the temporary drive on the Azure VM has a PhysicalSectorSize of 4096 however the C: drive and the Storage Replica data and log drives PhysicalSectorSize is 512.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 3:48 AM
  • The test fails no matter what I have tried to do.

The cultures match between the machines (en-US) but I am still seeing the error.

I re-installed the storage-replica role just in case it helped but didn't.

Measuring Storage Replica recovery and initial synchronization performance...
    WARNING:    at Microsoft.FileServices.SR.Powershell.SrNativePerfCounterHelper..ctor(String CounterPath)
       at Microsoft.FileServices.SR.Powershell.Utilities.GetAvgDiskThroughput(String ComputerName, String Counter, String
    VolumeName, UInt32 DurationInSecond, UInt32 IntervalInSeconds, Boolean IsCSV)

I have spent so much time on this and I had high hopes but there is no known solution to this.

Without a test, I can't bring this forward.

Alex

Saturday, June 20, 2020 7:24 AM
  • Found root cause of problem!

So, if your Data Volume is slow (around 30-40Mbytes/sec) AND your Logs volume is equally slow, then the test throws this error.

If you move your Logs volume to a fast one (SSD), then the test completes properly.

Hope this hints the team to look into the issue further and try to reproduce.

All tests ran on VMs on HyperV and VMs were exasctly the same.
    Slow storage was iSCSI and fast storage was local vDisk.

Alex

Sunday, June 21, 2020 2:38 PM
  • Found root cause of problem!

So, if your Data Volume is slow (around 30-40Mbytes/sec) AND your Logs volume is equally slow, then the test throws this error.

If you move your Logs volume to a fast one (SSD), then the test completes properly.

Hope this hints the team to look into the issue further and try to reproduce.

All tests ran on VMs on HyperV and VMs were exasctly the same.
    Slow storage was iSCSI and fast storage was local vDisk.

Alex

Sunday, June 21, 2020 2:39 PM
  • So, I am dropping Storage Replica altogether as it might look good in a demo, but it fails to deliver in real life. This is a semi-complete product with inconsistent behavior to say the least.

I would suggest not spending your time on this.

Monday, June 22, 2020 10:11 AM