none
Nvidia Quadro P4000 passed through with DDA, error code 43 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've installed a server with Windows server 2016 core and Hyper-v role. On this host I've setup a virtual machine and installed it with Windows server 2012R2 and also successfully passed through a Nvidia graphics card, Quadro P4000 to it with DDA.

The problem I encounter is that after installing the driver for the card it shows up in device manager as expected but with the text "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

Obviously, it doesn't work and I've asked Nvidia if they can point me in any direction where I've faulted but their response was that this should work and the P4000 supports running in virtual machines. I've tested and made sure I've followed every instruction I could find but still no change.

I've tested different drivers as well but still the same error. How can I solve this?

Appreciate all help I can get, thank you.

Monday, October 8, 2018 11:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check Hardware Compatibility List

Microsoft publish a list of GPUs supported for use with Windows Server OS, customers should verify that the version of Windows Server OS they are using supports the use of the specific NVIDIA GPU they are using in the Windows Server Catalog.

Customers should verify that their Server is certified for use with NVIDIA GRID to ensure support. The list of GRID supported servers can be found on the NVIDIA GRID web pages, here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/grid-certified-servers.html

More information about it,please refer to it below:

https://virtuallyvisual.wordpress.com/2017/01/18/nvidia-grid-and-microsoft-windows-server-oss-and-hyper-v/

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 3:30 AM
  • Hi

I've checked the list and the server we're using is supported, a HPE DL380. We've successfully already deployed one server with the exact same setup and that one is working which leaves me really confused with this one.

What would be the troubleshooting steps from this point and forward? I've reinstalled both the server and the virtual machine and redone everything with the exact same results.

I've also tested the graphics card directly from a bare metal installation of 2012R2 with a gui and it worked as expected with the same driver.

Grid is not involved in this as we're passing through the whole GPU and not sharing it with other VMs.

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 10:01 AM
  • Hi,

Please understand, to solidly troubleshoot the issue, we generally need to collect some logs. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum.
    If the issue still occurs, a support call to our product service team is needed for the debugging service. We'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers  

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 2:49 AM
  • Hi

I've installed a server with Windows server 2016 core and Hyper-v role. On this host I've setup a virtual machine and installed it with Windows server 2012R2 and also successfully passed through a Nvidia graphics card, Quadro P4000 to it with DDA.

The problem I encounter is that after installing the driver for the card it shows up in device manager as expected but with the text "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

Obviously, it doesn't work and I've asked Nvidia if they can point me in any direction where I've faulted but their response was that this should work and the P4000 supports running in virtual machines. I've tested and made sure I've followed every instruction I could find but still no change.

I've tested different drivers as well but still the same error. How can I solve this?

Appreciate all help I can get, thank you.

Hi Marcus, did you manage to resolve this? We have a Hyper-V 2016 host, attempting to use DDA to passthrough a Quadro GPU to a VM, and receiving the same error. We have had DDA with a Radeon card working previously, but this is the first time we've tried to set up a Quadro card. Passing it through to the VM worked fine, but after driver installation we just get Code 43 stop errors and can't get it to work correctly.
    Sunday, October 20, 2019 11:36 AM