none
Possibility of utilizing both host monitor and client monitor when remote connecting on the same desktop RRS feed

• Question

• So I have a client MacBook Air running MacOS and a host server running windows 10 enterprise trial (I can install an licensed copy of Windows Server 2016 if need be). When im at home I wish to utilize the monitor the host server is hooked up to while also seamlessly dragging active windows to my client computer screen (Macbook) like how it would be when there is a second monitor connected to a computer. I am wondering if this is a viable option for working on my laptop whilst extending the desktop screen to both while using a wireless connection.

I do have an alternative which can enable unlimited sessions but the draw back is that I wont be able to seamlessly drag windows from one end of a screen to the other.

• Edited by SlateHound Monday, September 16, 2019 7:46 AM edit wording
    Monday, September 16, 2019 7:46 AM

All replies

• HI
    MacBook Air
    remote pc system :WIN10 or windows 2016

in general ,there is only one user can remote access win10 at the same time.
    there are 2 users can remote access w2016 currently .
    we can use Microsoft remote desktop software on MAC computer to remote access win10 or w2016,but i am still confuse about your issue ,can you detail explain with example ? 

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 16, 2019 3:58 PM
  • Hi

Currently the host computer is using the default remote desktop function from the system settings. That is when you right click the Windows Menu button on the bottom left from your Windows 10 desktop screen and click Settings, click System, click Remote Desktop at the left side bar.

I am also remote connecting the client MacBook air using the Microsoft Remote Desktop software.

Then this is where the issue begins. I want to utilize both the host's monitor and my MacBook's screen to work on at the same time. But by default, when I connect to the host computer, the host's session is closed and then forwarded to my MacBook screen, rendering the host's monitor unusable. I should also add that the host has only one monitor.

Elaborating further from my previous comment about enabling unlimited sessions, I can utilize the host's monitor by enabling more than one session to my user account. Which means that my host computer will create another remote session for my MacBook while leaving the session on the host server active for my user account. Which is in contrast to the previous paragraph. This is done by installing a third party software called RDP Wrapper, where I can enable this option. But that's the draw back, I wont be able to drag windows from the monitor screen to my MacBook screen because they are both displaying separate desktop sessions.

So my question is whether I can use both these monitors for work seamlessly on one session without Windows closing the monitor screen.

• Edited by SlateHound Monday, September 16, 2019 11:05 PM Edit working
    Monday, September 16, 2019 10:59 PM
  • HI
    Thanks for your clarifying this issue.
    "I want to utilize both the host's monitor and my MacBook's screen to work on at the same time."
    "So my question is whether I can use both these monitors for work seamlessly on one session without Windows closing the monitor screen?"
    unfortunately, first of all ,the RDP Wrapper is not allowed in win10 EULA.AS you see "But by default, when I connect to the host computer, the host's session is closed and then forwarded to my MacBook screen, rendering the host's monitor unusable."so if you are using Mac OS and Microsoft remote desktop for Mac on your Mac computer ,the answer is no.
    I think you can try to use below third party(or other third party)remote software and look if they can implement your idea.
    AnyDesk  The Remote Desktop for Mac

Teamview The Remote Desktop for Mac

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:07 AM
  • Thanks,

So then will this feature work if I install Windows server 2016 and install the more advanced Remote Desktop Services? Does RDS have this setting where I can project a single session to two screens?

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:47 AM
  • HI
    Thanks for your reply.
    "So then will this feature work if I install Windows server 2016 and install the more advanced Remote Desktop Services? 
    No.
    Does RDS have this setting where I can project a single session to two screens?"
    RDS also not support this feature ,so the answer is no.
    you
    can try to use above third party(or other third party)remote software and look if they can implement your idea. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:25 AM