none
Domain consolidation, and DHCP/DNS config with seperate subnets RRS feed

• Question

• So here is the deal.  We have 2 offices connected via a VPN tunnel through 2 watchguard firewalls.  Office A has a domain of "a.domain.com" and a subnet of .1  Office B has a domain of "B.domain.com" and a subnet of 0.  The domains have a trust setup and things work fine.

We want to consolidate everything into the B domain just for the sake of simplicity.  

Domain A has has 2 DC's running server 2003.  One of which supplies DHCP and they both run WINS and DNS.

Domain B has 2 DC's running server 2003 on one, and server 2008 R2 on the other.  With the 2008 R2 server handling DHCP, DNS  and WINS and the other running DNS and WINS as well.  

I also have Exchange 2010 running inside of Domain B, with linked mailboxes attached to the users in the A domain.

My question is this.  Lets say we wanted to combine these domains into the B domain.  I want to keep the different subnets so that I dont have to reconfigure all of the printers and equipment that has static setups, and a DHCP server in each office with each office handling its own DNS and replicating the other office.  Will that work as simple as I imagine it working?  

The other question is how do I move the profiles in domain A to domain B and keep the mailboxes in exchange attached to them?

Am I wrong to think that if there wasnt a DHCP server in either office that the machines would try to obtain DHCP through the VPN tunnel to the other office?  That is something I want to avoid because obtaining an address would rely on the internet connection working at all times.

I am making this change because I plan on upgrading all servers to 2008 R2, and would just make the change at that time.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 8:21 PM

All replies

• So here is the deal.  We have 2 offices connected via a VPN tunnel through 2 watchguard firewalls.  Office A has a domain of "a.domain.com" and a subnet of .1  Office B has a domain of "B.domain.com" and a subnet of 0.  The domains have a trust setup and things work fine.

We want to consolidate everything into the B domain just for the sake of simplicity.  

Domain A has has 2 DC's running server 2003.  One of which supplies DHCP and they both run WINS and DNS.

Domain B has 2 DC's running server 2003 on one, and server 2008 R2 on the other.  With the 2008 R2 server handling DHCP, DNS  and WINS and the other running DNS and WINS as well.  

I also have Exchange 2010 running inside of Domain B, with linked mailboxes attached to the users in the A domain.

My question is this.  Lets say we wanted to combine these domains into the B domain.  I want to keep the different subnets so that I dont have to reconfigure all of the printers and equipment that has static setups, and a DHCP server in each office with each office handling its own DNS and replicating the other office.  Will that work as simple as I imagine it working?  

The other question is how do I move the profiles in domain A to domain B and keep the mailboxes in exchange attached to them?

Am I wrong to think that if there wasnt a DHCP server in either office that the machines would try to obtain DHCP through the VPN tunnel to the other office?  That is something I want to avoid because obtaining an address would rely on the internet connection working at all times.

I am making this change because I plan on upgrading all servers to 2008 R2, and would just make the change at that time.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 11:25 PM
  • Thanks.  It was a duplicate post, I tried to delete the other.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2015 3:35 AM
  • Dear customer,

Thank you so much to contact Microsoft.

From your description, you have following questions,

Q1 Is that possible to keep the different subnets after migration domain?

Yes, you can. You cannot change the IP setting after you migrate domain.

Q2 How do you move the profiles in domain A
    to domain B and keep the mailboxes in exchange attached to them?

You can Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT) to migrate user and its profile. As
    for how to migrate the mailboxes in exchange, I appreciate it you can
    understand that I am AD engineer and am not familiar with Exchange. I suggest
    you can contact Exchange engineer to confirm.

Q3 would the machines try to obtain DHCP through the VPN tunnel to
    the other office?  

Not, since the DHCP quest is broadcast. however the two office is in the different subnet.

Hope I address your concern, please feel free to contact me if you have any question.

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 8:02 AM
  • Hi,

Any update about the issue?

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 2:39 AM