none
WSUS 3.0 Server cleanup wizard problem - Unable to connect to the WSUS Server Database RRS feed

• Question

• While trying to run the Server cleanup wizard in WSUS we are getting a database connectivity error. We have narrowed this down to the first item in the Wizard, "Unused updates and Update revisions". This is the error that occurs

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server Database.

Verify that SQL server is running on the WSUS Server. If the problem persists, try restarting SQL.

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException -- SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error: incorrect checksum (expected: 0xf8876d92; actual: 0xf887650a). It occurred during a read of page (1:342887) in database ID 5 at offset 0x000000a76ce000 in file 'd:\WSUS\\UpdateServicesDbFiles\SUSDB.mdf'.  Additional messages in the SQL Server error log or system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.

Source

.Net SqlClient Data Provider

Stack Trace:

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method)

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Wizards.ServerCleanup.ServerCleanupWizard.OnCleanupComplete(O The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server Database.

Verify that SQL server is running on the WSUS Server. If the problem persists, try restarting SQL.

I have seen a similar question on this forum relating to Timeouts but believe this error is different. However, to speed the process I have answered the same questions asked in that post as below:

1)      First of all the WSUS is using the Windows Internal database and the total database size is 3.1GB. The database is not in the default location but located under a share on the D: data drive.

a)      Are there any other databases running on this Server?

> Yes, the server unfortunately is not a dedicated WSUS server but a Utility server containing many other applications. As well as Windows 2005 Management Studio Express it contains SQL Server 2000 with a number of well utlilised databases.

b)       Are there any other services running on this WSUS Server?
    > Yes CommVault, Mail Marshal, WebMarshal, and Trend AntiVirus as well as WSUS  are all on the same server.

c)      How many days since your WSUS server was first installed?
    > Unsure but at least as long as WSUS 3.0 has been released. I believe it was upgraded at some stage from WSUS 2.0

d)     What is the physical size of the SUSDB.mdf file?
    > 3,209,408 KB

e)      What is the hardware configuration of this machine, including disk drives?
    >The server is a VMWare Guest  

f)       How many client systems are you servicing from this WSUS Server?
    > Approximately 150 clients and 15 servers.

g)      What products/classifications are you synchronizing.

> Windows XP-vista, Windows Server 2003, Office 2003-2007, SQL Server 2005, SQL 2000.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Phill

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:11 AM

Answers

• It would appear that you have a corrupted database. The easy solution is to uninstall WSUS, delete the database, and reinstall WSUS with a new database. The hard solution is to engage with a qualified Database Administrator, and attempt to repair the database -- which may, or may not, be succesful -- and almost certainly will require exponentially more time than it takes to rebuild a new WSUS server from scratch.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2011)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    • Marked as answer by Phillby11 Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:39 PM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 4:46 AM