none
Unable to create checkpoints-backup getting failed. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

We have Hyper-V on 2012 R2, SCVMM 2012.
    Virtual machine is also on 2008R2 OS. Recently Veeam backup started to fail for 2 VM's with below error. 

Failed to create snapshot (Data ONTAP VSS Hardware Provider) (mode: Hyper-V child partition snapshot) Details: Failed to add volume [\\?\Volume{XXXX}\] to the VSS snapshot set
    The volume shadow copy provider is not registered in the system.
    --tr:Failed to add volumes to the snapshot set.
    --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.  

I have performed below checks:

Verified VSS writers in server.
    Restarted services in OS and Hyper-V host.
    Validated cluster storage space.
    Tried to take manual snapshot, its getting failed with below error:

Error (12700)
    VMM cannot complete the host operation on the host because of the error: Checkpoint operation for 'XXXXXXXX' failed. 
    Unknown error (0x8001)

Recommended Action
    Resolve the host issue and then try the operation again.

Other VM's in the same host are running fine. Not sure how to fix this issue. 

Any suggestions how to solve this issue.?

Abhishek

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 11:54 AM

All replies

• Hello Abshishek,

Since you're using SCVMM, I suggest you ask in the dedicated forum for SCVMM, here's the link for you:

System Center - Virtual Machine Manager  >  Virtual Machine Manager – Hyper-V

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 2:00 PM
  • Hi Abhishek,

Nice to meet you again and wish you all the best!

1. Have we created checkpoints before? If so, has it succeeded?

2. >> The volume shadow copy provider is not registered in the system.

Please contact the Veeam vendor and check your register, for more information, please see here:

https://richardstk.com/2017/12/20/the-volume-shadow-copy-provider-is-not-registered-in-the-system/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

3. As you said, you have already ran “vssadmin list writers” and no error in it?

4. >> Error (12700)

VMM cannot complete the host operation on the host because of the error: Checkpoint operation for 'XXXXXXXX' failed.

Unknown error (0x8001)

Please check that the shared and NTFS permissions for backup destination folders are configured correctly.

https://terrytlslau.tls1.cc/2014/05/share-file-instead-of-copying-it-from.html

5. In addition, please check if the avhd file has been created, you can see it in process monitor.

6. Please help me see if there is any error message in VMWP log.

VMWP log path: Event Viewer-Applications and services log-Windows- Hyper-V Work-Admin:

If all the suggestions are useless, you can consider Leon's suggestion and try your luck in SCCM forum.

Hope this information can help you, if you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 9, 2019 2:10 AM
  • Hi,
    Just want to confirm the current situations.
    Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 13, 2019 1:24 AM
  • Hi Daniel, 

Thanks for your suggestions. I have verified all steps suggested, doesn't work with my VM issue. 

Snapshot creation was working before. Now I am unable to take VM snapshot, that is the reason why backup is failing. 

Nothing in VMWP logs for this VM. 

Abhishek

Monday, May 13, 2019 6:45 AM
  • Hi Abhishek,<o:p></o:p>

Generally speaking, third-party backup tools have their own working mechanism, which may cause some backup failures in some cases.<o:p></o:p>

So, have you discussed with Veeam's experts?  I suggest you post the same post in Veeam color community.<o:p></o:p>

https://forums.veeam.com/<o:p></o:p>

In addition, if my reply is useful, Please don't forget to come back and mark it as an answer. Thank you in advance.<o:p></o:p>

Best Regards,<o:p></o:p>

Daniel<o:p></o:p>

Monday, May 13, 2019 6:57 AM