Virtual Server for Windows Server 2008 R2

Question

• The current build of Virtual Server 2005 R2 is not compatible with Server 2008 R2 RC, I have an older PC that does not support any hardware assisted virtualization, will there be a non-hypervisor based Virtual Server app for Server 2008 R2?
    Friday, May 08, 2009 2:36 AM

All replies

• hi there,

can you see the below link , it might assist you

http://blogs.technet.com/keithcombs/archive/2009/05/02/installing-the-windows-server-2008-r2-rc-on-a-lenovo-thinkpad-t61p.aspx

sainath Windows Driver Development
    Friday, May 08, 2009 8:12 AM
  • no that explains how to install Windows Server 2008 R2. I don't understand how that relates to Virtual Server not running on it. I also said my machine doesn't support hardware virtualization so why would hyper-v help me out when it requires hardware assisted virtualization.

Let me explain this again,

I have a Server that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 RC Build 7100. Ok? So that means the box already has Server on it. No need to install it or find any drivers like that blog posts shows.

Now I want to run a Virtual Server app on it, since it does not support AMD-V, I am stuck with Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 or VMWare Server.

Which leads me to the above question: Will there be a non-hardware virtualizaed server app by MS to run on Server 2008 R2, which means I am looking for an app that will INSTALL and RUN on Windows Server 2008 R2, not HOW TO INSTALL Windows Server 2008 R2.
    Friday, May 08, 2009 12:03 PM
  • Yes, I would like to know too.

When attempting to install Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 on a fully installed and correctly configured Windows Server 2008 R2 box the installation is halted with an error stating an incompatibility issue with Virtual Server on this OS. The same message appears when attempting to install on Windows 7 RC (Build 7100).

Hyper-V works well (yes, my system does support it), I have been running the currently available 64 bit Server 2008 with Virtual Server with no problems for quite a while. I can't move to R2 unless this is addressed.

Is there going to be an update for the Virtual Server product to run on Windows Server 2008 Release 2 and Windows 7?

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 12:07 AM