none
Windows 2008 R2 VM failing system state backup RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to create system state backup on 3 new Win2k8 R2 servers DPM reports the generic "DPM failed to create the system state backup, verify WSB is installed and enough free disk space"  verified both.

Event viewer on machine has event: "The backup operation that started at '‎2010‎-‎11‎-‎12T12:53:30.308552000Z' has failed with following error code '2155347997' (The operation ended before completion.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved."

Backup Log has this error:  "Error in backup of C:\windows\\systemroot\ during enumerate: Error [0x8007007b] The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

When trying to run wbadmin from command prompt: C:\Windows\system32>wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backupTarget:c:
    wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2004 Microsoft Corp.

Starting to back up the system state [11/12/2010 7:55 AM]...
    Retrieving volume information...
    This will back up the system state from volume(s) System Reserved (101.94 MB),Lo
    cal Disk(C:) to c:.
    Do you want to start the backup operation?
    [Y] Yes [N] No y

Creating a shadow copy of the volumes specified for backup...
    Creating a shadow copy of the volumes specified for backup...
    Please wait while system state files to back up are identified.
    This might take several minutes...
    Summary of the backup operation:
    ------------------

The backup of the system state failed [11/12/2010 7:55 AM].
    Log of files successfully backed up:
    C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup\Backup-12-11-2010_07-55-23.log

Log of files for which backup failed:
    C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup\Backup_Error-12-11-2010_07-55-23.log

The operation ended before completion.
    The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

From what I am reading I believe it is trying to backup the "System Reserved" volume that is for VMWare - I am assuming because it is marked as "System" - how can I tell DPM to consider C: as the "System" even though disk managment doesn't?

Monday, November 15, 2010 4:08 PM

Answers

• Thank you RPeluffo,

You gave me a point in the right direction.

Initially i tried what you suggested, but after changing the entry in the registry i found (which is located at):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\LSI_SAS\ImagePath

Original ImagePath String: \systemroot\system32\drivers\lsi_sas.sys

Changed to your suggestion: %systemroot%\system32\drivers\lsi_sas.sys

The VM started Bluescreening and was not even able to boot into Safe Mode, (Luckily i had taken a snapshot)

I reverted back to the snapshot and looked at the entry again.

I logged onto another server which was setup very similar and had some OS, VM settings and ESXi Server version 4.1 etc...

I looked at the Registry entry and found, that server (which the problem didn't exist on) had the entry:

ImagePath: system32\drivers\lsi_sas.sys

So i set the same string on that registry entry on my Problem VM Server and restarted it, and tested it out, and the problem was SOLVED... YAY!!

Thank you very much for your Help again RPeluffo, I greatly appreciate that.

Systems Administrator Quantum Education Group
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:20 PM
  • Hi, I have think that I've the solution.

Sorry my english is very weak.

You must to download the Vshadow.exe from Microsoft's donwloads. I have encoutered the Vshadow x64 R2. You must execute the command line: vshadow -wm2 | find "windows\\" 

after made it, you will receive the key name of the driver that is making this error. I am thinking that it's caused by a Vmware driver.

In my case the command above showed me the line:

c:\windows\\systemroot\system32\dirvers filespace = lsi_sas

Then, I open the Regedit and made a serch on edit > find and input: lsi_sas

One Key showed me the entry: imagepath \systemroot\system32\drivers\*** and after this I change the value for %systemroot%\system32\

replacing the "\" to "%" and rebooting the machine, so the problem was corrected.

My wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backutarget:h: was successfully.

Thanks a lot... good lucky

MCP, MCTS, MCITP Consumer support
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 12:06 PM

All replies

• Looks like one of the Win32 services installed on your machine is reporting a file under incorrectly formed path: C:\windows\\systemroot\

Need to check which service is reporting this & it is part of which application. Correcting the path by changing registry or uninstalling the application would help fix this issue.

Thanks,

Sriram [MSFT]

Sriram [MSFT]
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 11:31 AM
  • Hi

Can you please send me a mail at suhasrao-nospam@microsoft.com (remove the -nospam). I can share a script with you to identify which service is causing this issue and how we can fix this.

Thanks,
    Suhas

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 3:29 PM
  • I'm having the same/similar problem.

My Server is a VM which was created from a template (VMware)

Everything works fine on the server except when i do a 'SystemState' Backup it fails with: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

I've tried setting up the destination as a dedicated disk (vdisk) [so it reformats it and sets it up for backups all by its clever self...] , i've tried a Volume and even a Network Share but when running the systemstate backup it still fails with the same error.

I've even tried following several articles on the internet to no avail (there is the one that suggests doing a wbadmin get disks and then you use the disk identifer to add it, but this still doesn't work...)

If anyone can help me resolve this problem, that would be amazing! :)

Thursday, November 18, 2010 1:12 AM
  • hows no on else had this issue i'm having, i've tried everything but i can't seem to get it backing up properly.  If i do a standard full backup, it doesn't give me that error, but if i try to restore from system state it gives me the same error again: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

It's real annoying..

if anyone else has any ideas, i'm all ears!

• Proposed as answer by RPeluffo Wednesday, December 1, 2010 12:07 PM
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 10:10 PM
  • Hi, I have think that I've the solution.

Sorry my english is very weak.

You must to download the Vshadow.exe from Microsoft's donwloads. I have encoutered the Vshadow x64 R2. You must execute the command line: vshadow -wm2 | find "windows\\" 

after made it, you will receive the key name of the driver that is making this error. I am thinking that it's caused by a Vmware driver.

In my case the command above showed me the line:

c:\windows\\systemroot\system32\dirvers filespace = lsi_sas

Then, I open the Regedit and made a serch on edit > find and input: lsi_sas

One Key showed me the entry: imagepath \systemroot\system32\drivers\*** and after this I change the value for %systemroot%\system32\

replacing the "\" to "%" and rebooting the machine, so the problem was corrected.

My wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backutarget:h: was successfully.

Thanks a lot... good lucky

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 12:06 PM
  • Thank you RPeluffo,

You gave me a point in the right direction.

Initially i tried what you suggested, but after changing the entry in the registry i found (which is located at):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\LSI_SAS\ImagePath

Original ImagePath String: \systemroot\system32\drivers\lsi_sas.sys

Changed to your suggestion: %systemroot%\system32\drivers\lsi_sas.sys

The VM started Bluescreening and was not even able to boot into Safe Mode, (Luckily i had taken a snapshot)

I reverted back to the snapshot and looked at the entry again.

I logged onto another server which was setup very similar and had some OS, VM settings and ESXi Server version 4.1 etc...

I looked at the Registry entry and found, that server (which the problem didn't exist on) had the entry:

So i set the same string on that registry entry on my Problem VM Server and restarted it, and tested it out, and the problem was SOLVED... YAY!!

Thank you very much for your Help again RPeluffo, I greatly appreciate that.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:20 PM
  • Hello...

Good... very good.. I'm happy for you...

In my case, the solution was change de "\" to "%". Whether you look in the registry you will see that there are some keys on various formats as %systemroot% and "\systemroot\" and "systemroot".

I had thought on remove of the back slash, and certainly I had made a snapshot. I remember you that the snapshot must be to deleted after few days.

I am very happy... Please Mark as Helpfull and Answered...

see you later..

Thursday, December 2, 2010 10:40 AM
  • I'm new to this forum, how do i mark it as an answer?

I can only see the buttons reply & quote on the post that you did that was the answer.

Thursday, December 2, 2010 10:44 AM
  • Hi,

Next to "Reply and Quote" there is "Propose As Answer" and At left corner there is "Vote As Helpful"

thanks

Thursday, December 2, 2010 11:27 AM
  • I want to share a bit of experience about this VSS problem.

In my case, I traced the issue to the SPTD driver provided with Daemon-Tools's virtual CD-ROM.

This drivers creates incorrect Registry entries causing an error with VSS. It is most noticeable when executing a system state backup:
    "Error in backup of C:\windows\\systemroot\ during enumerate: Error [0x8007007b] The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

The value of registry key "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\sptd\ImagePath"
    is set to \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\sptd.sys but it must be "%SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\sptd.sys" instead.

At this time, DTLite4402-0131.exe is the most recent application. I experienced with on a Windows 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 system.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:40 AM
  • Hi!

I managed to get same type if issue resolved.
    I ran a PowerShell script that located the wrong paths in the registry.
    you can find the information of the PS script here.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2010/06/18/ps-script-for-blog-enumeration-of-the-files-failed.aspx

But I still cant get the backup to run. I am using DPM2010. DPM2010 uses the packup feature of the WIndows Server Backup....
    On the machine that has the issue is just the System State that is not working
    The log says.
    Error in backup of C:\windows\"c:\ during enumerate: Error [0x8007007b] The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

But I cant figure out what or where in the Registry it tries to find the Path above.
    If I search on it in the registry its not found.

Any suggestions?

Sharepoint/DPM2010 Consultant
    Friday, April 15, 2011 11:51 AM
  • I have two domain controllers, one VM and one physical.  Both have the same 517 error.  Running vShadow and fixing the lsi_sas sovled my problem on the VM.  Thanks for that tip.  Still having the problem on my physcial DC.  Having trouble finding the bad path.

Thanks....rick

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 6:39 PM
  • I'd agree.

I had exact same issue with a Windows 2008 R2 VM, and made the changes to

and it reboots fine ( takes a while but eventualy gets there ) 

My misbehaving machine was one half of a 2 node SQL 2008 R2 cluster, so I had to fail all shared drives to another node first, then I did the system state and system reserved backup.

Friday, September 30, 2011 3:06 AM
  • Actually this article explains the issue and the real solution.  Which is un-needed boot SCSI drivers.  While other solutions may work they may cause other issues, and or fail to take into account which SCSI driver is actually needed....as one person found out on the by taking this advice.

http://networkadminkb.com/KB/a467/how-to-fix-windows-2008-r2-system-state-backup-fails.aspx

• Proposed as answer by slimey69 Friday, March 16, 2012 7:28 PM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 4:30 AM
  • This info on using Vshadow also helped me find the cause of my failing SystemState backups.  In my case it was a RAID driver that had been enabled for some testing and then left enabled.   The vshadow -wm2 | find "windows\\" command led me right to the solution.
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 12:06 AM
  • Hello gents,

I do tried their fix which seems to be less invasive that ours but it didn't worked out.

Before rewriting path I choose to reinstall vmwaretools as it seems a bad driver seems to be loaded. It worked ! But it seems that you'r solution is the good one because look at the capture to see what the wizard automatically did :

Driver

The path of my used driver "LSI_SAS" which can or cannot be your's is rewritten to what is suggested. Was \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\

So my advise regarding this issue is more : reinstall VMWareTools if you can to put the right path in. If you could'nt (or beeing in another environnement), read twice this article :http://networkadminkb.com/KB/a467/how-to-fix-windows-2008-r2-system-state-backup-fails.aspx to backup and understand what you touching at before doing something nasty.

Saturday, March 3, 2012 8:43 AM
  • Hi

Can you please send me a mail at suhasrao-nospam@microsoft.com (remove the -nospam). I can share a script with you to identify which service is causing this issue and how we can fix this.

Thanks,
    Suhas

Would you be willing to share the script with me? I'm having the same problem.

-Brent Blades

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:47 PM
  • I found another site that led me to the proper fix:  http://networkadminkb.com/KB/a467/how-to-fix-windows-2008-r2-system-state-backup-fails.aspx

The instructions on this site had the code to run to find the offending registry entries.  Here was the key for me (taken from the above page):

Run the following command sequence, to list the VSS writer information to the file out.txt and then open out.txt in Notepad or another text editor.

Diskshadow /L out.txt

DISKSHADOW> List writers detailed

Exit

Notepad out.txt

Then searching out.txt for the offending text, whether it is C:\Windows\\systemroot\ or C:\Windows\C:\, will lead you to the correct registry entry.  In my case, it was Kaspersky's boot driver and I had to substitute \systemroot\System32\drivers\klbg.sys with System32\drivers\klbg.sys and all was well.

The easy way to find the offending text is by reading the backup log in C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup.  In my case, it was just one line.

Cheers,

Dan

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:40 PM
  • My thanks too RPeluffo. Similar issue but from a different problem source.

In my case this started with a system state backup issue i was experiencing with Backup Exec 2010 R2. So that Google caches this, the error was as follows: -

V-79-10000-11225 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider that you selected does not support snap technology for this volume. Select another snapshot provider, and then run the job again.
    The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" "D:" "E:".

A thread on the Symantec site was similar but didn't help: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/cannot-back-system-state

To isolate the issue, i ran a Windows Server Backup (wbadmin.msc) job that indicated the following error too: -

The backup operation that started .... has failed with following error code '2155347997' (The operation ended before completion.).

From the Backup Exec fault, i noticed that it was trying to snapshot a DVD drive. Now a little background: this system was a P2V conversion and so a drive was disconnected on the move but another was added which took on the same drive letter (now as the DVD drive).

Running the command: -

vshadow -wm2 > Writer.txt

..dumped the metadata of the individual writers and searching for the e:\ drive revealed a path to a previous folder and windows service. That was when i noticed a now disabled service was still installed. I only had to delete the service and remove any references from the registry to the path and now the system state backs up via both Windows Server Backup and Backup Exec.

Thanks again all.

Pops

• Edited by Popolou Friday, May 16, 2014 1:12 PM typos...
    Friday, May 16, 2014 1:12 PM
  • In my case was an invalid SMB share in "Paths affected by this component".

diskshadow

list writers

* WRITER "System Writer"
      - Writer ID   = {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
      - Writer instance ID = {5c12007d-6514-4371-b9dc-2e24dbe8a539}
      - Supports restore events = FALSE
      - Writer restore conditions = VSS_WRE_NEVER
      - Restore method = VSS_RME_RESTORE_AT_REBOOT_IF_CANNOT_REPLACE
      - Requires reboot after restore = TRUE
      - Excluded files:
      + Component "System Writer:\System Files"
       - Name: System Files
       - Logical path:
       - Full path: \System Files
       - Caption: System Files
       - Type: VSS_CT_FILEGROUP [2]
       - Is selectable: FALSE
       - Is top level: TRUE
       - Notify on backup complete: FALSE
       - Paths affected by this component:
        - C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto
        - C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
        - C:\Windows\System32\Microsoft\Protect
        - C:\Windows\assembly
        - C:\Windows\servicing\packages
        - C:\Windows\system32\CatRoot2\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE}
        - C:\Windows\system32\CatRoot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}
        - C:\Windows\system32\CatRoot\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE}
        - C:\Windows\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}
        - C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository
        - C:\Windows\winsxs
        - \\vsmc0013.xxxxxx.corp.net\omniback\i386
        - c:\hp\hps\lw_agt\bin
        - c:\program files (x86)\ca\etrust policy compliance\agent
        - c:\program files (x86)\ca\sharedcomponents\ca_lic
        - c:\program files (x86)\ca\sharedcomponents\ccs\cam\bin
     ... etc

I search for \\vsmc0013.xxxxxx.corp.net\omniback\i386 in registry and deleted it. Now, systemstatebackup runs fine!

Obs.: I replaced the domain original name to xxxxxxx in this post to protect the real name of my customer.

http://www.mycertprofile.com/Profile/2194019177

• Edited by Caio Bauab Thursday, April 14, 2016 4:26 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 4:17 PM
  • I read all this and wasn't so sure on any of the steps involved. So I dug further and I the following link resolved my issue. My driver was vsock.sys,

https://secure.efoldering.com/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/281/7/system-state-backup-fails-with-the-system-state-backup-process-failed-with-the-following-exit-code--3

Friday, July 28, 2017 4:24 AM
  • I found a real easy fix for this, after spending alot of vain Googling on the issue. After looking at following post which referenced exact error I found in my backup log (all other searching for answer was fruitless until I found this), was to hack the registry to enable the driver that was failing on my VM ("vsock" driver in my case):

"Error in backup of C:\windows\\systemroot\ during enumerate: Error [0x8007007b] The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." - RESOLUTION: Use VSS Writer information to determine required driver to enable in registry:

https secure dot efoldering dot com /support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/281/7/system-state-backup-fails-with-the-system-state-backup-process-failed-with-the-following-exit-code--3

[NOTE: Could not post URL above as I'm new "unverified" poster here. Use thoe search terms to find for yourself if needed]

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 8:55 PM