none
How to capture, read, understand, and analysis network packets, trace, or traffic ??

Question

• Hello,
    Well to introduce myself, i would say that i am a novice is this field. You can consider me as good as a dummy. And i am interested in learning and mastering the art of reading, understaing, and analysing network traces, packets, or traffic. I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could guide me on where to begin from, which books to read and what methodology to follow.

Many Thanks,

Dashanan

Dashanan
    Saturday, May 07, 2011 7:37 PM

Answers

• Go to your favorite book reseller and search for Wireshark.  Unfortunately I'm not familiar with any Netmon specific books, but there are a few that concern packet capture analysis with Wireshark.  While I haven't read any specifically (used a few as reference) I think most of them start pretty basic and work up to more complex concepts.

Thanks!

Monday, May 09, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Hi Customer,

You need to know TCP/IP model knowledge first, then learn to how to use packet capture software.

Regards, Rick Tan
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Customer,

You could use network monitor 3.4 tool to analysis network packets.

Network Monitor 3.4 has Released(include network monitor blog page, download page, forum page)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/netmon/archive/2010/06/28/network-monitor-3-4-has-released.aspx

How to capture network traffic with Network Monitor

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/148942

Regards, Rick Tan
    Monday, May 09, 2011 8:05 AM
  • Hello Rick,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I guess i did not put my query correctly.

I saw NetMon blogs. I think they expect that you already have certain amount of knowledge about technologies and are able to understand what is written in them.

I am at level 0 and need to begin from there. I am more interested in learning the technnology from scratch. That's where I need guidance and help.

Thanks again,

Manoj

Dashanan
    Monday, May 09, 2011 11:57 AM
  • Go to your favorite book reseller and search for Wireshark.  Unfortunately I'm not familiar with any Netmon specific books, but there are a few that concern packet capture analysis with Wireshark.  While I haven't read any specifically (used a few as reference) I think most of them start pretty basic and work up to more complex concepts.

Thanks!

Monday, May 09, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Hi Customer,

You need to know TCP/IP model knowledge first, then learn to how to use packet capture software.

Regards, Rick Tan
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:38 AM