none
Server 2012 DeDuplication and AntiVirus - experiences

Question

• Hello Guys,

Any experiences with Antivirus on deduplicated Servers?

I have had troubles on a dedupped Server 2012 with Bitdefender Antivirus Security for Servers 3.5.
    It's not possible to delete something and get the space back.
    I figured out there are heaps of errors with a driver called "bdfsfltr" and it seems this could be a reason.

What happened?

After successfully running a Server 2012 as Fileserver with a dedup volume over weeks some days ago we could seen the server is running out of space and deleting files won't help anymore.

if you have similar troubles or read something with other kinds/vendors of Antivirus give me a hint. ;)

• Edited by Enrico Stephan Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:02 PM correction
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:55 PM

Answers

• 1) Should be no issues.

2) Referenced driver is indeed a BitDefender file system filer so it could be a product-specific or version-specific collision.

3) To get space back make sure you schedule to run garbage collection process. See this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831434.aspx

Data Deduplication includes garbage collection jobs to process deleted or modified data on the volume so that any data chunks no longer referenced are cleaned up. Garbage collection jobs process previously deleted or logically overwritten optimized content to create usable volume free space. When an optimized file is deleted or overwritten by new data, the old data in the chunk store is not immediately deleted.

noteNote
    Garbage collection is a processing-intensive operation, so you should allow the deletion load to reach a threshold and then manually run this job type, or schedule it for off hours.

Garbage collection can also be triggered on demand. For example:

PS C:\> Start-DedupJob E: –Type GarbageCollection

This command removes unreferenced chunks and compacts containers that have more than 5% unreferenced data. By adding the –full parameter, the job will compact all containers to the maximum extent possible. For example:

PS C:\> Start-DedupJob E: –Type GarbageCollection -full

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Thursday, March 21, 2013 10:20 PM

All replies

• 1) Should be no issues.

2) Referenced driver is indeed a BitDefender file system filer so it could be a product-specific or version-specific collision.

3) To get space back make sure you schedule to run garbage collection process. See this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831434.aspx

Data Deduplication includes garbage collection jobs to process deleted or modified data on the volume so that any data chunks no longer referenced are cleaned up. Garbage collection jobs process previously deleted or logically overwritten optimized content to create usable volume free space. When an optimized file is deleted or overwritten by new data, the old data in the chunk store is not immediately deleted.

noteNote
    Garbage collection is a processing-intensive operation, so you should allow the deletion load to reach a threshold and then manually run this job type, or schedule it for off hours.

Garbage collection can also be triggered on demand. For example:

PS C:\> Start-DedupJob E: –Type GarbageCollection

This command removes unreferenced chunks and compacts containers that have more than 5% unreferenced data. By adding the –full parameter, the job will compact all containers to the maximum extent possible. For example:

PS C:\> Start-DedupJob E: –Type GarbageCollection -full

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Thursday, March 21, 2013 10:20 PM
  • Hey VR38DETT,

This could be an answer and I'm running the garbage process at the moment. Hopefully it works ... thank you for the reference to the article. I thought I read allthing but it seems I missed that point. ;)
    Friday, March 22, 2013 9:20 AM
  • It is helpful. Thank you very much. :)
    Friday, March 22, 2013 5:24 PM