none
Hyper-V Role lost after disabling hypervisor and removing VMWare RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. On it, I had originally installed VMWare Workstation. I later installed Hyper-V and migrated my virtual machine to Hyper-V. I then wanted to remove VMWare Workstation, but its installer fails if Hyper-V is installed (see also here ), so I had to temporarily disable Hyper-V to remove VMWare Workstation.

After uninstalling VMWare, I restarted with the default profile to re-enable the hypervisor, but Hyper-V did not start. I check the server roles, and the Hyper-V role is not listed. If I attempt to add the role, I'm given the error "The processor on this computer is not compatible with Hyper-V". I have confirmed that the virtualization feature is enabled in the BIOS and I have confirmed that it is enabled by running the VMWare CPU ID utility.

Note that the boot profile has the 'hypervisorlaunchtype' set to Auto. I tried setting it to "on" according to this FAQ , but that produces an error message. As far as I can tell, the only valid values for hypervisorlaunchtype are Off and Auto.

Why does Hyper-V no longer recognize my processor? Was VMWare Workstation enabling the processor? Are there any tools I can use to diagnose the issue? How can I restore Hyper-V on this server?

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 4:32 PM

Answers

• The behavior I experienced seems bizarre and non-intuitive:

1) After removing VMWare Workstation, the Hyper-V role was also removed. I never removed the Hyper-V role; apparently, Windows Server did this on its own. Why?

2) Thereafter, neither Windows nor Intel reported that the server had Virtualization Technology (VT) support when the system was booted with 'hypervisorlaunchtype=Auto'. This prevented me from re-installing the Hyper-V role.

3) When I rebooted with 'hypervisorlaunchtype=Off', the Intel CPU ID software reported support for VT and I was able to reinstall the Hyper-V role. Only after restarting once more with 'hypervisorlaunchtype=Auto' was I able to restart my virtual machine.

Ultimately, and with Microsoft Technical Support assistance, I was able to get the system restored. However, the behavior was very strange indeed.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 7:29 PM

All replies

• The intel processor ID utility is reporting that the CPU doesn't have the Virtualization Technology feature. How can this be when just a few hours ago it did? I have confirmed and re-confirmed the BIOS setting. I have even saved the virtualization setting as disabled, then resaved as enabled, but the OS and Intel utility seem to think the feature is not present.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:33 PM
  • The behavior I experienced seems bizarre and non-intuitive:

1) After removing VMWare Workstation, the Hyper-V role was also removed. I never removed the Hyper-V role; apparently, Windows Server did this on its own. Why?

2) Thereafter, neither Windows nor Intel reported that the server had Virtualization Technology (VT) support when the system was booted with 'hypervisorlaunchtype=Auto'. This prevented me from re-installing the Hyper-V role.

3) When I rebooted with 'hypervisorlaunchtype=Off', the Intel CPU ID software reported support for VT and I was able to reinstall the Hyper-V role. Only after restarting once more with 'hypervisorlaunchtype=Auto' was I able to restart my virtual machine.

Ultimately, and with Microsoft Technical Support assistance, I was able to get the system restored. However, the behavior was very strange indeed.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Hi,

If I were you, I will not install VMware on a Windows Server 2008 R2 computer and then enable Hyper-V on it.

After you enable Hyper-V role on the computer, the original Windows Server 2008 R2 becomes to a special virtual machine, we usually call it as parent partition or root partition. So you may not run VMware properly.

By the way, I don’t know why Hyper-V role was removed after you uninstall VMware on the computer, but I prefer to remove the unneeded applications and features before I enable Hyper-V on the computer, that’s the best practice.

In addition, if you enable Hyper-V on the computer and then run the report tool, you will get a fail result. For more information, you can refer to:

http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2008/05/07/it-doesn-t-feel-like-a-hypervisor-to-me.aspx

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:58 AM