none
Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 install problem on HP Proliant ML350 G5 with a HP SmartArray P800 controller

Question

• As the title states I cannot get Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 installed on a HP Proliant ML350G5 with a SmartArray P800 controller. During the installation process it cannot find any hard disks/RAID array and ask me for the drivers. It picks up the drivers and when I select the HP SmartArray P800 drivers it says it cannot find the device. I have tried the drivers for Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 2008 x64 and both do the same. I have tried the same with the onboard HP SmartArray P200 controller and it does the same. Only option I have not tried is a Smartstart assisted install but I do not see how this will make a difference as it uses the same drivers. 
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:38 PM

All replies

• Seems this product is not very well supported as the documentation is very slim. Don't want to really waste my money/free ticket on something that seems be still undergoing maturity :/

Problem is, as a gold partner, we got challanged (by Microsoft representative) we not pushing Hyper-V products enough and instead stick with VMWare. Would really love to see if we can run now a apple to apple comparision against ESXi since Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 seems to be excact equivelent.

Surely somebody on the forum is running Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 in a similiar configuration?

Friday, February 11, 2011 6:26 AM
  • Seems this product is not very well supported as the documentation is very slim. Don't want to really waste my money/free ticket on something that seems be still undergoing maturity :/

Problem is, as a gold partner, we got challanged (by Microsoft representative) we not pushing Hyper-V products enough and instead stick with VMWare. Would really love to see if we can run now a apple to apple comparision against ESXi since Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 seems to be excact equivelent.

Surely somebody on the forum is running Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 in a similiar configuration?

Friday, February 11, 2011 6:26 AM
  • Hi,

I understand your current situation, however, I don’t know whether the computer you used is compatible with Hyper-V Server 2008 R2, so it is recommend that you contact HP to perform the further research. You may also wait for other customer's experience sharing on this. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

• Marked as answer by Vincent HuModerator Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:46 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Naraka Saturday, February 19, 2011 10:48 AM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 9:36 AM
  • That is what I thought as well until I tried it on a HP Proliant ML110 with normal internal SATA connector and it could also not pickup anything.

I found some HP centric documents and busy going through it. Will share on forum once I am done with them.

EDIT:

The HP Proliant ML350G5 with D21 BIOS is indeed supported.

Friday, February 11, 2011 10:45 AM
  • Are you trying to install Hyper-V directly from scratch or have you tried using the SmartStart CD's?

Friday, February 11, 2011 11:13 AM
  • Hi,

Any progress with your issue?

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, February 14, 2011 3:09 AM
  • Still problems with or without SmartStart. Also tried installing Hyper-V Server on VM Workstation which works but for some or other reason it switches all fonts to some asian one.
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 10:48 AM
  • Hello Naraka,

we have more than one HP ML 350 G5 at cumstomer sites running with W2K8 R2 and Hyper-V R2. This machine is definitly capable of Hpyer-V. I have two questions:

• Do you create a logical Drive in the array configuration of the array bios?
    • Do you have enabled the hardware-assisted virtualization and hardware data execution prevention ?

Sugestion try to install Windows Server 2008 R2. If this is a success enable the Hyper-V Roll.

Grüße/Regards,Carsten Rachfahl http://www.hyper-v-server.de
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Hi Naraka,

I've got a ML350G5 myself @ home and I tried installing Windows Hyper-V R2 to reproduce your problem.

These are my experiences:

- If you want to install Hyper-V R2 on that server you first of all have to make sure that your firmware is up to date (I updated my FW version to 9.2).

- I strongly suggest you to use SmartStart (which will include some additional drivers)

- Make sure that the Logical Drive that you use is the first one available (nr 1); if not the Hyper-V R2 server has troubles detecting/booting it.

Hope this helps a bit.

Grts,

Michael

Monday, February 21, 2011 8:57 AM
  • Oh my word - i am clearly doing something wrong for not able to afford a ML350 to play around at home :)

Hi - I will try it again although I am sure the firmware was updated and I did use the SmartStart CD.

Friday, March 18, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Oh my word - i am clearly doing something wrong for not able to afford a ML350 to play around at home :)

Hi - I will try it again although I am sure the firmware was updated and I did use the SmartStart CD.

Friday, March 18, 2011 3:14 PM
  • As the title states I cannot get Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 installed on a HP Proliant ML350G5 with a SmartArray P800 controller. During the installation process it cannot find any hard disks/RAID array and ask me for the drivers. It picks up the drivers and when I select the HP SmartArray P800 drivers it says it cannot find the device. I have tried the drivers for Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 2008 x64 and both do the same. I have tried the same with the onboard HP SmartArray P200 controller and it does the same. Only option I have not tried is a Smartstart assisted install but I do not see how this will make a difference as it uses the same drivers. 

Same problem here! Anyone got a solotion for this problem?
    Friday, September 30, 2011 10:03 AM
  • For those of you searching the web for more information about Hardware compatibility with server operating systems please see this blog post:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/jeffloucks/archive/2011/10/15/windows-server-os-support-by-product-number-hp-and-dell.aspx

Saturday, October 15, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Sunday, October 16, 2011 7:29 AM
  • I had exactly the same problem.

I was reusing hardware (including drives) from an old system and there were the dregs of the previous install on the drive(s).

I wiped the drive with dban (www.dban.org) and the controller+drives were detected and the software installed!

Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:04 PM