Upgrade to 2016 Standard, from 2008 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to know the easiest / safest / legal way to upgrade my Windows Server 2008 Standard to Windows Server 2016 Standard.

A "clean install" is acceptable / preferable. But, I want to know:

1. HOW can I activate my license after installing? Will / Should I enter the "old" Product key? 

2. Should I download an evaluation copy of Win Server 2016 first and then input the "old" (2008) Product key?

3. Please reply with general step-by-step instructions (or give a link to a guide)

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 9:25 AM

All replies

• "A "clean install" is acceptable / preferable."

That's good, because that is the recommended method.

"HOW can I activate my license after installing? Will / Should I enter the "old" Product key? "

Activation of a new installation is the same as before.  Enter product during or after installation.  You must have a valid 2016 product activation key.  A 2008 key will not work with 2016.

"Should I download an evaluation copy of Win Server 2016 first and then input the "old" (2008) Product key?"

Nope.  You can download the evaluation copy and install it.  But you must purchase a license for 2016 and obtain an activation key.  A 2008 key will not work with 2016.

"Please reply with general step-by-step instructions (or give a link to a guide)"

Use your favorite search engine for instructions on installing 2016 if you are unfamiliar with the process.  Lots of step-by-step guides available.  Really not much different from 2008 installation.

tim

• Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Wednesday, September 5, 2018 1:29 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 1:17 PM
  • That's good, because that is the recommended method.

An upgrade install isn't even on the table, is it?

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 7:20 PM
  • Not in a single step.  You could perform an upgrade from 2008 to 2012, then from 2012 to 2016.  But that is not recommended.  You would still need to purchase the 2016 license.  If you did pursue the in-place upgrade, i believe you would also need to obtain a 2012 activation code because I think the upgrade would require the activation key (I've not done that step, so I am not positive).  But the recommended method remains to perform a clean installation.  In-place upgrades can leave artifacts and detritus from earlier installations.  A clean installation eliminates that.

tim

Thursday, September 6, 2018 2:17 PM
  • hi,
    1. HOW can I activate my license after installing? Will / Should I enter the "old" Product key?
    2. Should I download an evaluation copy of Win Server 2016 first and then input the "old" (2008) Product key?
    you can purchase server 2016 standard (retail) product key and get server 2016 standard (retail)
    install media from your operation system vendor. You can active it by server 2016 standard (retail) product key directly. But if you download and install the server 2016 standard evaluation edition ,you need to convert to server 2016 standard (retail) by command.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/supported-upgrade-paths
    https://msfreaks.wordpress.com/2016/10/06/convert-windows-server-2016-evaluation-to-licensed/
    Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
    3. Please reply with general step-by-step instructions (or give a link to a guide)
    you can install server 2016 evaluation in hype-v and check if your current applications on server 2008 are suitable for server 2016.
    server 2016 evaluation download center
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-admin-center

clean install server 2016 standard step by step
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LaZVCtCThA
    Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

BEST REGARDS
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Friday, September 7, 2018 6:19 AM