none
vGPU and RemoteFX in Ubuntu VM on Windows Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to RDP into an Ubuntu 13.10  VM running as a guest on Windows Server 2012 host and want RemoteFX graphics acceleration. I can install a package like xrdp and FreeRDP in ubuntu to make RDP possible. However, remoteFX is the catch! 

Iv read all the microsoft blogs which mention that only Windows 7 Enterprise and 8 Enterprise VMs running on Windows Server 2012 host can support RemoteFX and vGPU. Microsoft has given driver support to Linux VMs through the Linux Integration Services. Do these services enable vGPU and remoteFX for a Linux  VM running on a Windows Server 2012 host? 

Thanks

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 6:57 PM

Answers

• The Linux Integration Services drivers do not currently provide RemoteFX or vGPU capabilities for Linux guests on any version of Hyper-V. This would be a great capability to be added in the future, but it's not there now, and I can't make any commitment about when it might be added.

Michael Kelley, Lead Program Manager, Open Source Technology Center

• Marked as answer by Hrushit Wednesday, June 4, 2014 1:22 PM
    Tuesday, June 3, 2014 11:51 PM

All replies

• The Linux Integration Services drivers do not currently provide RemoteFX or vGPU capabilities for Linux guests on any version of Hyper-V. This would be a great capability to be added in the future, but it's not there now, and I can't make any commitment about when it might be added.

Michael Kelley, Lead Program Manager, Open Source Technology Center

• Marked as answer by Hrushit Wednesday, June 4, 2014 1:22 PM
    Tuesday, June 3, 2014 11:51 PM
  • Thanks Michael. 

Yes, it will be a great addition to LIS. Especially with existing RDP softwares in Linux such as xrdp and FreeRDP which would allow RemoteFX delivery if given access to the GPU.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 1:20 PM