none
Folder redirect problem RRS feed

• Question

• Several years ago I set up a folder redirect using GPO.  At the time we were running windows server 2008 and windows 7.  I have the folders redirected to a NAS drive.  The drive crashed so I restored all the redirected folders to a new location and modified the GPO.  The GPO never worked after this.  So now I have to get to each computer and change where the documents folder is so users can use their documents.  Since this happened we have moved to server 2016 and windows 10.  The redirect GPO still isn't working and I have to point each user to their documents folder on the server.  I would like to get this fixed because I am going to have to move the folders that are currently redirected.  I have never been able to get the folder redirect to work since the first time that I set it up.
    Friday, September 20, 2019 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hello Mike,

Thank you for posting in our forum.

Before we go further, I would like to confirm the following questions:

1.>>The drive crashed so I restored all the redirected folders to a new location and modified the GPO.  The GPO never worked after this.
    Is this GPO not applied at all, or is the changed settings not applied? 

Because it is a user configuration, we can check the gpresult as below:
    1.Logon one client with domain user account.
    2.Create a new folder in C drive named Folder.
    3.Open CMD, type gpresult /h C:\Folder\report.html and click Enter.
    4.Open report file to check this folder redirection under User Configuration.

2. If we logon one client with one user whom we want to apply folder redirection to.

(1)Can we see Documents in this user profile?

(2)If we click Documents, can we see where do we redirected this Documents?

(3)Can we access the new shared path?

3. Would you please tell us how we configure the folder redirection for domain users?

Usually, we can try the following steps:
    1.Create a folder redirection security group:On Active Directory Administration Center,Right-click the appropriate domain or OU, select New, and then select Group. 

2.Create a file share for redirected folders:On File and Storage Services,select Shares.
      In the Shares tile, select Tasks, and then select New Share.

3.Create a GPO for Folder Redirection: In Group Policy Management,create a new GPO called redir,select the GPO. In the Security Filtering section of the Scope tab,add Folder Redirection Users.

4.Edit the policy"redir",the path is :User Configuration>>Policies>>Windows Settings>>Folder Redirection.Right-click a folder that you want to redirect (for example, Documents), and then select Properties.

5.After configuring the GPO, run "gpupdate /force"in the cmd.

For more information we can refer to the article.
    Deploy Folder Redirection with Offline Files

Appreciate your patience.

Best regards,
    Cynthia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 23, 2019 9:47 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 1:35 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

Friday, September 27, 2019 3:18 AM
  • I am sorry I hadn't responded. I didn't realize the was a response to my question.  I guess I forgot to select the alert me.  I will give this a look and let you know the results.  Thanks

Friday, October 18, 2019 12:40 PM
  • I have a folder redirect GPO set up and it is not working.  It is linked and enforced.  When I run gpresult /h C:\Folder\report.html the GPO doesn't show up in the report.  This has been setup for several years.  All computers have been changed (new computers with windows 10)since this was first setup.  We also went from 2008 domain to 2016 domain.

The problem started when the drive(NAS Drive) that held the document redirected folder died.  At the time we were running server 2008 and windows 7.  I have had to set each computer and users document manually since.

Friday, October 18, 2019 1:02 PM
  • Hi

Thank you for your update.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Cynthia

Monday, October 21, 2019 1:55 AM