none
ADPrep execution failed - Error(8224) while running "LDIFDE -o "ObjectGuid" -d

Question

• In a network environment with Windows SBS 2003 domain controller, other than completely replace the domain, I am trying to setup a backup domain controller with the Windows Server 2012 Standard.

Here's the error I am getting:

"ADPrep execution failed --> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): A device attached to the system is not functioning"

Below is the abstract from the ADPreg log file:

Adprep was unable to complete because the call back function failed. 
    [Status/Consequence]
    Error message: Error(8224) while running "LDIFDE -o "ObjectGuid" -d "CN=printQueue-Display,CN=405,CN=DisplaySpecifiers,CN=Configuration,DC=MyDomainName,DC=local" -u -f "C:\Users\EXECUT~1\AppData\Local\Temp\TMP805A.tmp" -s "MyServerName.MyDomainName.local" -h".   (0x80004005).

[User Action]

Check the log file ADPrep.log, in the C:\Windows\debug\adprep\logs\20130419101228 directory for more information.

DSID Info:
    DSID: 0x1811132a
    winerror = 0x1f
    NT BUILD: 9200
    NT BUILD: 16384

[2013/04/19:10:20:52.482]
    Adprep was unable to update forest information. 

[Status/Consequence]

Adprep requires access to existing forest-wide information from the schema master in order to complete this operation.

[User Action]

Check the log file, ADPrep.log, in the C:\Windows\debug\adprep\logs\20130419101228 directory for more information. 

I am scratching my head...Where shall I start with solving this problem?

Friday, April 19, 2013 3:16 PM

Answers

• WOW, I nailed it!!!

Simple but no one has mentioned this. I tried to logon to Windows Server 2012 with the local administrator account not any domain users and provide the above domain account credentials during the setup which is the key for this error I was getting!

Hope this will be useful for others if you are trying to add the Windows Server 2012 as a backup domain controller to the existing Windows SBS 2003 domain controller.

Cheers.

• Marked as answer by EHL120 Monday, April 22, 2013 6:58 PM
    • Edited by EHL120 Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:28 PM Spelling
    Monday, April 22, 2013 6:58 PM
  • Hello,

assure to use an account that is member from schema/enterprise admins to run the command.

"Adprep requires access to existing forest-wide information from the schema master in order to complete this operation"

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by EHL120 Monday, April 29, 2013 3:11 PM
    Friday, April 19, 2013 4:13 PM

All replies

• Hello,

assure to use an account that is member from schema/enterprise admins to run the command.

"Adprep requires access to existing forest-wide information from the schema master in order to complete this operation"

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by EHL120 Monday, April 29, 2013 3:11 PM
    Friday, April 19, 2013 4:13 PM
  • Yes, the user I used is a member of the Administrators and Schema Admins.
    Friday, April 19, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Hello,

as you mentioned "Administrators", so "Administrators" is included in the enterprise admins group?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Friday, April 19, 2013 4:33 PM
  • Just had a look, the Enterprise Admins is a member of the Administrators group which is the other way around of what you are saying. Would that be the issue?
    Friday, April 19, 2013 4:41 PM
  • Hello,

so the account you use is NOT an Enterprise admin. Enterprise Admins is member and the your account is member from Administrators but that's it. The account has same permissions as Administrators not more.

Please add the account direct to the Enterprise admins group.

See here about Group nesting http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc776499(v=ws.10).aspx

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Friday, April 19, 2013 6:10 PM
  • Just noticed the account is already a member of the Enterprise admins. But I removed the Enterprise admins group from administrator group. So with the user Executive, a member of both the administrators and enterprise admins group, I haven't got any luck yet. I wonder what else can be done.
    • Edited by EHL120 Monday, April 22, 2013 12:57 PM spelling.
    Friday, April 19, 2013 7:31 PM
  • New finding! This error has nothing to do with user privilege. I tried use another user, member of administrators and enterprise admin groups (forgot to add it to schema admins group). When I tried it and it warned me that the user is not in the schema admins group and don't have enough permission to do it. So I logged out and add the user to the Schema Admins group and tried it again. It went through this time, getting the same error as before: 

[2013/04/22:13:55:56.813]
    Adprep was unable to complete because the call back function failed. 

[Status/Consequence]

Error message: Error(8224) while running "LDIFDE -o "ObjectGuid" -d "CN=mSMQSettings-Display,CN=405,CN=DisplaySpecifiers,CN=Configuration,DC=mememe,DC=local" -u -f "C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\Temp\TMPB2E6.tmp" -s "yname.mememe.local" -h".   (0x80004005).

[User Action]

Check the log file ADPrep.log, in the C:\Windows\debug\adprep\logs\20130422135512 directory for more information.

DSID Info:
    DSID: 0x1811132a
    winerror = 0x1f
    NT BUILD: 9200
    NT BUILD: 16384

[2013/04/22:13:55:56.813]
    Adprep was unable to update forest information. 

[Status/Consequence]

Adprep requires access to existing forest-wide information from the schema master in order to complete this operation.

[User Action]

Check the log file, ADPrep.log, in the C:\Windows\debug\adprep\logs\20130422135512 directory for more information. 

Monday, April 22, 2013 6:08 PM
  • WOW, I nailed it!!!

Simple but no one has mentioned this. I tried to logon to Windows Server 2012 with the local administrator account not any domain users and provide the above domain account credentials during the setup which is the key for this error I was getting!

Hope this will be useful for others if you are trying to add the Windows Server 2012 as a backup domain controller to the existing Windows SBS 2003 domain controller.

Cheers.

• Marked as answer by EHL120 Monday, April 22, 2013 6:58 PM
    • Edited by EHL120 Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:28 PM Spelling
    Monday, April 22, 2013 6:58 PM
  • EHL120 --  Thank you!!!!!

I have been going around on circles on this one for days!  How did you come across the solution?

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:02 PM
  • I am glad that it works out for you. Everything counts...lots of googling and trying different advices that are new to me! I am sure that Mainolf's thought aobut user permissions plays a big part of it as well. Thanks Mainolf!
    Monday, April 29, 2013 3:10 PM
  • EHL120 - Another "thank you" from me! We now have our Server 2012 R2 as a secondary DC in our SBS 2003 environment.
    Friday, November 21, 2014 9:42 AM