none
Windows Store and MFA(2FA) randomly prompting users? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have MFA enabled for users and some of them are reporting receiving prompts to allow a windows login attempt(Maybe they're being hacked!) but when checking in the admin center, the prompt was caused each time by an entity known as "Universal Store Native Client" which is an Application from the Resource: "Windows Store for Business"(Oh thank goodness its just a false negative. But now we're plagued with these false negatives!).

My question is; How would I go about fixing this issue?

I haven't found it so far within the Settings>Apps>Apps & Features area. I see Windows Store, but no Windows Store for Business. And even within the regular Windows Store settings I see nothing which seems out of place or like it would cause an MFA prompt spontaneously during the day. The kicker is, nothing pops up on the PC, just the notification on the phone. So if the fix is something like "just hit allow", we're taking a big leap of faith then since there's no visible evidence that when we get prompted in order to confirm that we're allowing the Windows Store and not some hacker with good timing. That's a big risk. 

So if there's any other, safer, more secure way to fix this issue, please help! Any ideas or suggestions are more than welcome too!

-John

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 2:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please understand, we are not familiar with MFA, it seems like a APP in windows store. For APP related question, you might have this asked in following community:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/winapps?sort=LastReplyDate&dir=Desc&tab=All&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=All&isFilterExpanded=false&page=1

Hope this can help you, if you have anything unclear, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:38 AM
  • 

Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 11, 2019 1:55 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful.

If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

Best regards,

Ellen   

Monday, October 14, 2019 2:08 AM
  • Hi Ellen,

Unfortunately, I was already redirected to here from that location. 

"Aditya_Roy

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are looking for safer way to fix the issues in Multifactor Authentication/ Two Factor Authentication.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to post your query in TechNet forums, where we have experts and support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on Multifactor Authentication/ Two Factor Authentication to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator"

Would you happen to have any other forums which might be knowledgeable on Microsoft Store-related inquiries?

• Edited by Hobble Gobble Thursday, October 31, 2019 3:23 PM Formatting
    Thursday, October 31, 2019 3:22 PM
  • Hi,

>>Would you happen to have any other forums which might be knowledgeable on Microsoft Store-related inquiries?

I will search for the right place which you can post in.

Please wait for a few hours.

Your kind understanding is appreciated. 

Best regards,

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 4, 2019 2:37 AM