windows server 2008 r2 - network drive map

Question

• I have problem in my network to map a share of a NAS.

My network has composed of this server:
    -) windows 2003 sp2 domain controller
    -) windows 2003 sp2
    -) windows 2008 sp1
    -) windows 2008 R2
    -) NAS (no in active directory)

I have created a .cmd script with a net use command. I have linked this file in a GPO user/logon so when all admin user logon in a server can access in a shared dir with file.
    the file have this command:
    net use w: /delete /yes
    net use w: \\nas\windows <password> /user:<user>

I have used a user to map a share because this NAS is outside of a AD.

when I logon in windows 2003 server or 2008 sp1, network drive has mapped regularly, and I can read and write inside.
    when I logon in windows 2008 R2, network drive hasn't mapped. I see it in explorer with a red cross over!!! if I try to open, windows popup open with: "An error occurred while reconnecting W: to \\nas\windows. Microsoft windows network: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again. This connection has not been restored."

why win2008r2 do this?
    what differences exist from win2008 sp1 e win2008 r2?

thanks of all
    Alexmela
    Friday, March 26, 2010 3:44 PM

Answers

• Thanks to all, I find the solution!!!

I modify in local security policy these keys:
    Local Policy/Security Options:

1. Network Security: Allow Local System to use computer identity for NTLM ---- was Not def, now Disabled
    2. User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode ---- was Prompt for Credential, now Elevate without prompting
    3. User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode ---- was Enabled, now Disabled
    4. User Account Control: switch to the Secure desktop when prompint for elevation ---- was Enabled, now Disabled

Now when I logon in server I connect w: without problem.

I find the solution in Netapp KB (my NAS is a Netapp filer).

thanks to all

Alexmela78

• Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Thursday, April 01, 2010 6:03 AM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:28 AM

All replies

• I have problem in my network to map a share of a NAS.

My network has composed of this server:
    -) windows 2003 sp2 domain controller
    -) windows 2003 sp2
    -) windows 2008 sp1
    -) windows 2008 R2
    -) NAS (no in active directory)

I have created a .cmd script with a net use command. I have linked this file in a GPO user/logon so when all admin user logon in a server can access in a shared dir with file.
    the file have this command:
    net use w: /delete /yes

I have used a user to map a share because this NAS is outside of a AD.

when I logon in windows 2003 server or 2008 sp1, network drive has mapped regularly, and I can read and write inside.
    when I logon in windows 2008 R2, network drive hasn't mapped. I see it in explorer with a red cross over!!! if I try to open, windows popup open with: "An error occurred while reconnecting W: to \\nas\windows. Microsoft windows network: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again. This connection has not been restored."

why win2008r2 do this?
    what differences exist from win2008 sp1 e win2008 r2?

thanks of all
    Alexmela

• Merged by Tim Quan Monday, March 29, 2010 1:08 AM same issue
    Friday, March 26, 2010 3:43 PM
  • Probably becasue you have another connection on that server for example as x:

Issue from command line: net use after login and check if there are no connections to \\nas\windows

With kind regards
    Krystian Zieja
    http://www.projectnenvision.com
    Follow me on twitter
    My Blog
    Friday, March 26, 2010 4:24 PM
  • What will happen when you manually run the following command from your Windows 2008 R2?

Do you get any error messages?

Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications.sivarajan.com/ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, March 26, 2010 6:19 PM
  • Thanks of answer.

Randomly I have 2 error messages:

1) System error 53 has occurred.
    The network path was not found.

2) System error 1219 has occurred.
    Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more
     than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the
     server or shared resource and try again.

All these servers are web servers, and I connect only this share, because Inside of this there is all admin scripts.
    but I don't understand because in other servers 2008sp1 or 2003sp2 don't happened.

thanks

Alexmela

Saturday, March 27, 2010 3:35 PM
  • Thanks of answer.

No I connect this share only in this session with only w: letter.

If I try to connect a share from dos manually Random I have 2 error messages:

1) System error 53 has occurred.
    The network path was not found.

2) System error 1219 has occurred.
    Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more
     than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the
     server or shared resource and try again.

All these servers are web servers, and I connect only this share, because inside of this there is all admin scripts.
    but I don't understand because in other servers 2008sp1 or 2003sp2 don't happened.

thanks

Alexmela
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 3:37 PM
  • Can you ping the server using NetBIOS and FQDN?

Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications.sivarajan.com/ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, March 29, 2010 6:46 PM
  • Also, are you using different user names from the same machine to map this drive?  Please the Net Use command result here.

Monday, March 29, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Thanks to all, I find the solution!!!

I modify in local security policy these keys:
    Local Policy/Security Options:

1. Network Security: Allow Local System to use computer identity for NTLM ---- was Not def, now Disabled
    2. User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode ---- was Prompt for Credential, now Elevate without prompting
    3. User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode ---- was Enabled, now Disabled
    4. User Account Control: switch to the Secure desktop when prompint for elevation ---- was Enabled, now Disabled

Now when I logon in server I connect w: without problem.

I find the solution in Netapp KB (my NAS is a Netapp filer).

thanks to all

Alexmela78

• Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Thursday, April 01, 2010 6:03 AM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:28 AM