none
windows backup restore after new install RRS feed

• Question

• Can I use windows backup (windows 2012) to backup the C:\ with OS and SQL then reformat C:\ and restore from the backup?

I have a Server with the OS drive on RAID 0 (SQL server also installed).

I need to replace one of the disks.

Because this is a PROD server I also need a backup of the disk incase something goes wrong (other wise it's going to take 8 hours to rebuild the server from scratch).

So with windows backup. Can i restore the OS (with all the installed applications) onto a new drive?

or is the backup bound to a specific instance of 2012?

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:51 AM

Answers

• Yes, you need to make sure you have a bare metal backup done, but you should be able to restore to a hard drive of equal or greater size using windows server backup. If it were me and the system was a mission critical production, I would replace all the drives, create a new raid. That way if you have trouble with the restore you could always put the old drives back in and boot up, regroup and start again. Hard drives are cheap now days, and if one of the original have failed the others in the raid may not be far off, kind of like headlights in a car. This will allow you to have matching drives too.
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:49 PM