none
Windows 7 Professional Network Backups RRS feed

• General discussion

•   I purchased Windows 7 Professional primarly for the back up and remote access features. 

I have two systems running Windows 7 Professional with an external hard drive attached to one of the computers.  Today I tried to schedule a backup using the network feature.  I was able to find the external drive and a folder that I set up to store the information on.  Additionally, I shared the external drive and specific folder so that it allowed read/write access.  When I tried to save the backup a message came up that it needed a user name and password so I put in the username and password (username and password from the system that had the external drive on it) and it still gave the the error message.  I researched the issue on here and the suggestion was made to turn off password protected sharing and a second recommendation was to use user accounts and passwords to connect.  I tried both of these individually and nothing has worked.  Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Kevin,

Can you check the following points:

1. User you are using to configure the backup is the same as the user to whom you have given Read/Write permissions on the share.  

2. Make sure you enter the username while configuring backup as <MachineName>\UserName where MachineName is the name of the machine with the external drive attached.

Also can you send screenshots of the network share Sharing tab and the backup configuration error screen to lokkum[at]microsoft[dot]com?

Thanks,
    Lokesh[MSFT]

Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:37 AM