none
Can I create multiple domains on one server???

Question

• I need to know if this is possible...

Hi,

I need to configure my system to be able to create multiple domains on one server.. 
    How can I do that?

My Task:

I have a Windows 2008 x64 R2 Enterprise, with Exchange 2010 installed. 
    I know how to make the SMTP be configured to work on different domain names for the same mailbox.... 
    Like: 
    krehan@domain.com 
    and 
    krehan@domain.com.eg 
    or krehan@atmail.net 
    All are the same mailbox with different addresses... 
    My problem is: I need to make many mailboxes in different domains and different folders too. 
    I want to make a solution like we have on Gmail. 
    I want krehan@domain.com is a mailbox with its own access and domain and krehan@atmail.net is totally different mailbox with different access but both are on the same server... 
    Is it possible to have two Users with same name and different domains and different access on the same Windows Server 2008 machine? 
    What I'm asking is different from UPN Suffixes, I tried it... 

Thanks in advance,
    Khalid Rehan..

Monday, March 26, 2012 7:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• No, only one domain can be hosted on any computer. Each domain requires at least one domain controller, and any computer can only be one domain controller. However, one physical computer can host several virtual computers.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Monday, March 26, 2012 7:23 PM
  • Yes, it is possible.  This is not achieved by way of UPN suffixes.  You need to configure the mailboxes with the smtp addresses.  A mailbox can receive mail for more than one smtp address and different domain names.  I would recommend that you get help on the Exchange forum since all of the configuration is done on the Exchange side.  Getting this to work will also require you to have MX records in place in DNS so that mail for each of the domain names you will be accepting for will be sent to the same mail server.

Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.

itgeared.com facebook twitter youtube

Monday, March 26, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Hello,

Exchange is able to host multiple SMTP addresses, details please ask in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/exchange2010,exchangeserver/ 

You cannot have multiple AD domains on one DC, therefore another DC is required.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Monday, March 26, 2012 7:42 PM
  • OK, that is what I thought :(

Is there any other solution, and Mail Server other than Exchange that can perform this??

Thanks,

Khalid..

Monday, March 26, 2012 7:52 PM
  • Yes, but I still can't create two accounts with the same name..

Monday, March 26, 2012 7:54 PM
  • I re-read your description.  I missed the part about the same username with two domain names.  To clarify, no you cannot have the same username with two different domain names.  Usernames must be unique.  A user can have multiple smtp domain names associated with the same mailbox.

Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.

itgeared.com facebook twitter youtube

Monday, March 26, 2012 8:00 PM
  • I got some help...

Some expert told me a short answer: set up two forests inside Active Directory..

How to do so??
    I've been searching for an hour, and I couldn't find out :@ , seems my head is going out of power...

Thanks,
    Khalid..

Monday, March 26, 2012 9:28 PM
  • Hello,

as said before one DC one can host ONLY one domain.

If you like to have 2 forests you have the need for at least 2 DCs, one for each domain.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Monday, March 26, 2012 9:48 PM