none
The client-side extension could not log RSoP data because it failed with error code '0x8004401e <unknown-message-text>' RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I am experiencing the following error on one of my Vista workstations:
    The client-side extension could not log RSoP data because it failed with error code '0x8004401e <unknown-message-text>'

I tried re-installing the GP Preferences for Vista and the problem persists.

Any suggestions how I may resolve this issue?

Thank you,
    D
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for update. Let’s try the steps below to rebuild WMI folder.

1.    Open an elevated Command Prompt window. To do so, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

Type the following command:

winmgmt /verifyrepository
    winmgmt  /salvagerepository

The above command performs a consistency check on the WMI repository, and if an inconsistency is detected, rebuilds the repository. The content of the inconsistent repository is merged into the rebuilt repository, if it can be read.

2.    Open an elevated Command Prompt window. To do so, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. Type this command and press Enter:

net stop winmgmt

Using Windows Explorer, rename the folder %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository. (For example, %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository_bad). %windir% represents the path to the Windows directory, which is typically C:\Windows.

Switch to Command Prompt window, and type the following and press ENTER after each line:

net start winmgmt

EXIT

Restart the computer and test. If there is any error during the steps above, please let us know the detailed error message.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue may be caused by corrupt or missing WMI files. Let’s try the steps below for troubleshooting.

1.    Try to dredge the computer's performance libraries again by using the following commands:

winmgmt /clearadap
    This command clears all WMI-related values from the service's performance registry key.
    winmgmt /resyncperf "winmgmt service pid"
    This command registers the computer's performance libraries with the WMI.

You can find the WMI service PID information on the Process tab of Windows Task Manager.

2.    Restart the WMI services and test. If the error still persists, please refer to the following article.

Repairing and re-registering the WMI
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If the issue persists, please refer to the suggestions in article below.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistasp/thread/ebc3159c-ec56-44b8-8caf-32b049cd508e/

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/75042146-8477-420a-83be-5412052564a1

Thanks.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:49 AM
  • Hi Mervyn,

Thank you for your note.   I observed the following issues:

When I run winmgmt /clearadap the command does not complete successfully.  Are you sure it is a valid command?
    When I run winmgmt /resyncperf 1032 it appears to run properly however the problem persists

I reviewed http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistasp/thread/ebc3159c-ec56-44b8-8caf-32b049cd508e/ and I downloaded the files and placed them in my WBEM folder.  The problem persists after copying the files to the WBEM folder

I reviewed http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/75042146-8477-420a-83be-5412052564a1 and I was unable to find these files

%systemroot%\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-g..icy-policymaker-mof_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18016_none_ba4867157cf43c50\polprocl.mof

%systemroot%\winsxs\x86x86_microsoft-windows-g..maker-mof.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18016_en-us_a02b3828567a0267\polprocl.mfl

I copied the polprocl.mof file to the WBEM folder and ran the Mofcomp polprocl.mof comand but the problem persists.

How should we proceed?

Thanks,
    D

Monday, June 15, 2009 7:22 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for update. Let’s try the steps below to rebuild WMI folder.

1.    Open an elevated Command Prompt window. To do so, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

Type the following command:

winmgmt /verifyrepository
    winmgmt  /salvagerepository

The above command performs a consistency check on the WMI repository, and if an inconsistency is detected, rebuilds the repository. The content of the inconsistent repository is merged into the rebuilt repository, if it can be read.

2.    Open an elevated Command Prompt window. To do so, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. Type this command and press Enter:

net stop winmgmt

Using Windows Explorer, rename the folder %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository. (For example, %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository_bad). %windir% represents the path to the Windows directory, which is typically C:\Windows.

Switch to Command Prompt window, and type the following and press ENTER after each line:

net start winmgmt

EXIT

Restart the computer and test. If there is any error during the steps above, please let us know the detailed error message.

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:50 AM
  • Hi Mervyn,

Thank you for your help.  All functionality is restored.

Derek
    Friday, June 26, 2009 1:29 PM