none
Windows Server 2016 - Volume Activation Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently installed updates as per below web link on our Windows Server 2012 R2 KMS server to support Volume Activation of Windows Server 2016 OS machines.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2016/10/19/windows-server-2016-volume-activation-tips/

This allowed me to add the Windows Server 2016 KMS host key as Active Directory-Based Activation object via the Volume Activation Tools wizard and Windows Server 2016 shows up in the Volume Activation Management Tool as an Active Directory-Based Activation object.

When I setup a new Windows Server 2016 OS it automatically activates using Active Directory-Based Activation object (GVLK). When running slmgr.vbs / dlv from the Windows Server 2016 OS it shows as activated (See screenshot):

However the new machine setup does not pull through into the Volume Activation Management Tool to show as activated even when I have done a manual discover of products in the domain.

Any ideas why this might be occurring?

Do I need to update the Volume Activation Management Tool on Windows Server 2012 R2 key?

Any help given would be much appreciated.

• Moved by Ty Glander Tuesday, December 13, 2016 7:16 PM Activation report issue
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 11:17 AM

All replies

• MDT isn't involved in this. Was posting here intended? If not I can move the thread.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 11:36 AM
  • I was not 100% sure which thread to post to be honest.

Sorry, I thought I saw other examples of people posting about Volume Activation to this thread so I assumed this was the thread to do it on.

Can you help me move this to the relevant thread please?

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 2:24 PM
  • Hi Bazza,

>>This allowed me to add the Windows Server 2016 KMS host key as Active Directory-Based Activation object via the Volume Activation Tools wizard and Windows Server 2016 shows up in the Volume Activation Management Tool as an Active Directory-Based Activation object.

Are you using Active Directory-Based Activation with VAMT?

As far as I know, once you have configured ADBA and activated the host, VAMT is not required. Clients are activated once they joined domain. In your deployment, VAMT could activate an Active Directory-based activation object, not activate the domain clients.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 3:52 AM
  • Hi Leo,

Thanks for your reply.

We using Active Directory Base Activation but not through VAMT.

I added an Active Directory-Based Activation object via the Volume Activation Tools wizard. Steps taken to do this were as follows:

1. Go to Server Manager->Tools

2. Select Volume Activation Tools

3. Click Next on Introduction page

4. On the Activation Type page select Active Directory-Based Activation

5. Click Next

6. Enter the Windows Server 2016 KMS Host key obtained from the Volume Licensing Service Center

7. Click Next

8. Select Activate Online

9. Click Commit

10. This then adds an Active Directory-Based Activation object for Windows Server 2016 (GVLK) which shows up in the Volume Activation Management Tool (VAMT) as an Active Directory-Based Activation object.

Then when I setup a new Windows Server 2016 OS it automatically activates using  the Active Directory-Based Activation object (GVLK).

Are you saying that VAMT tool is not required and that it is does not matter that it is not reporting to the tool as Activated?

Also can you clarify what you mean by "In your deployment, VAMT could activate an Active Directory-based activation object, not activate the domain clients."?

Thursday, December 15, 2016 2:34 PM
  • Hi Bazza,

>>Are you saying that VAMT tool is not required and that it is does not matter that it is not reporting to the tool as Activated?

Yes, VAMT is not required if you have configured ADBA.

>>Also can you clarify what you mean by "In your deployment, VAMT could activate an Active Directory-based activation object, not activate the domain clients."?

I could only find document stating that VAMT could activate an Active Directory-based activation object. Not sure if it could activate other clients.

Anyway, your ADBA is working and VMAT is not required.

Best Regards,

Leo

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 16, 2016 5:24 AM
  • Are you saying that VAMT tool is not required and that it is does not matter that it is not reporting to the tool as Activated?

VAMT is not required, if you have correctly implemented KMS or ADBA or AVMA.

I have 50,000 machines in my organisation with KMS/ADBA and have never had the need for VAMT in 7 years...

VAMT is useful, sure, but it's certainly not critical unless you have automatic_activation problems or constraints.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Friday, December 16, 2016 7:07 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates on the issue?

You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.

Best Regards,

Leo

Thursday, January 5, 2017 2:40 AM