none
Hyper-V on the new Sandy Bridge i7-2600K processor--not compatible?

Question

• Because the price was so good for a Core i7-2600K, I picked that up:

1) with the intention of running Win 2008 R2 Hyper-V
    2) knowing that it doesn't support VT-d (but Hyper-V doesn't need it; all it needs is Intel-VT, which _is_ supported by the K version)

Hyper-V _runs_ but the VMs don't start.

The error that pops up is "<VM name> could nit Initialize".

Anybody else run into this?  I was looking forward to running a few VMs quickly on this very fast processor.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:18 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

just though I'd add something, I have the same problem as well and after I installed the Service Pack 1 RC, the VM will boot now

anyone know what changed in RC that made the difference ?

• Marked as answer by Seafire888 Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:10 PM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:06 PM

All replies

• Here are the most relevant error messages:

============

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-Worker-Admin

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-Worker

Date:          1/11/2011 11:14:12 AM

Event ID:      3040

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      

User:          NETWORK SERVICE

Computer:      WIN-EHCFQDJ32LP

Description:

'Test-Sandy1' could not initialize. (Virtual machine ID 498B9E24-0F98-417D-9068-21EE874846A4)

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-Worker" Guid="{51DDFA29-D5C8-4803-BE4B-2ECB715570FE}" />

<EventID>3040</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-01-11T19:14:12.256889600Z" />

<EventRecordID>10</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="1432" ThreadID="1952" />

<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-Worker-Admin</Channel>

<Computer>WIN-EHCFQDJ32LP</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-20" />

</System>

<UserData>

<VmInitialize xmlns:auto-ns2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events" xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Virtualization/Events">

<VmName>Test-Sandy1</VmName>

<VmId>498B9E24-0F98-417D-9068-21EE874846A4</VmId>

</VmInitialize>

</UserData>

</Event>

=============

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-Worker-Admin

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-Worker

Date:          1/11/2011 11:14:12 AM

Event ID:      3430

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      

User:          NETWORK SERVICE

Computer:      WIN-EHCFQDJ32LP

Description:

'Test-Sandy1' failed to set/change partition property: The system cannot find message text for message number 0xTest-Sandy1 in the message file for 498B9E24-0F98-417D-9068-21EE874846A4. '0x8007013D'.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Hi!

Alternative 1. Restart the Hyper-V services / reboot the host

Alternative 2. check security properties of the vm files.

Alternative 3. recreate the vm and attach the vhd to the new configuration.

Merely my suggestions.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:00 PM
  • Did you make sure all the Virtualization stuff was enabled on the BIOS?
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:15 PM
  • The problem occurred on a fresh install of Win 2008 R2 and freshly created VMs.  I resorted to this after swapping in the a fully configured system and saw the problematic behavior of the VMs.
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 11:34 PM
  • Yes, the default in the BIOS was "Intel Virtualization" - disabled.  When booted under this condition, Hyper-V doesn't start and the error message I get when starting the VMs is clear:  it says they can't start because the Hypervisor isn't running (or something explicit like that).

When I enable Intel Virtualization in the BIOS, Hyper-V does start.  All looks normal.  No errors in the logs.  But the VMs won't start and all I have is the cryptic error messages I posted earlier.

I should emphasize that the processor I am using is the "unlocked" K version: i7-2600K.  Intel has, for some reason, disabled VT-d on the unlocked Sandy Bridge procesors, but I believe VT-d is not used by Hype-V so it shouldn't have mattered.  Like I said, Hyper-V starts up. I don't know if the regular Sandy Bridge processors will run Hyper-V ok.

I know I'm on the bleeding edge (release date on the chip was just 2 days ago!).   It's a viciously fast processor and system that I though would be cool for my Hyper-V test-bed.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 11:40 PM
  • After you enabled virtualization in the bios, did you do a cold boot?  A simple restart after enabling VT doesn't always do it.
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 11:43 PM
  • I don't recall doing a cold boot but the setting did seem to take effect.  When "Intel Virtualization" bios setting is disabled, Hyper-V won't start at all. 

With VT enabled, Hyper-V starts but I get those cryptic errors when I try to start a VM.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:56 AM
  • Hi.

The same problem occurred. CPU = i5-2400S, OS = 2008 R2 Standard. I confirmed:

1. BIOS, Intel Virtualization -> Enabled

2. Start CPU-Z, Check "Instructions" -> VT-x Enabled

3. Install Hyper-V, and reboot.

4. Create and start VM. -> Error(EventID:3040)

5. Check CPU-Z -> VT-x Disabled

6. Uninstall Hyper-V and reboot.

7. Check CPU-Z -> VT-x Enabled

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:25 PM
  • odaoda_jp, what motherboard are you using? I couldn't get Hyper-V working due to it not finding my on-board Intel NIC. I hope SP1 will fix all of these Sandy Bridge issues we're seeing.
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:08 PM
  • You can download and run this small application (not sure if it will run on server core)

http://www.grc.com/securable.htm

It checks for 64-bit, DEP and hardware virtualization support, and lets you know if your system is capable of running Hyper-V.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:18 PM
  • Ok, but you should still do a cold boot.  VT may seem to work, but this could be the root cause.
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:35 PM
  • I have the exact same problem but with the Sandy Bridge i7-2600 (1 up from the K version)

Hyper-V starts up no problem but when i create new VM it wont start with the same cryptic "could not initialize" error.

I've been searching for a solution for 2 days and still havent got it working so I'm super keen to find out if it can be solved. 

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Hi.

The same problem occurred. CPU = i5-2400S, OS = 2008 R2 Standard. I confirmed:

1. BIOS, Intel Virtualization -> Enabled

2. Start CPU-Z, Check "Instructions" -> VT-x Enabled

3. Install Hyper-V, and reboot.

4. Create and start VM. -> Error(EventID:3040)

5. Check CPU-Z -> VT-x Disabled

6. Uninstall Hyper-V and reboot.

7. Check CPU-Z -> VT-x Enabled

Hi odaoda_jp,

If you are running CPU-z on the console session when Hyper-V is installed, I think VT-x not showing up is actually OK.  I am of the understanding that the console session itself, when running the machine as a Hyper-V host, is actually a "guest" VM [someone correct me if I'm wrong]. 

As a quick test, I ran CPU-z on my _working_ test Hyper-V host (an old Q6600-based system) and it also does NOT show VT-x capabilities when CPU-z is run on the console.

I think the key point is that Hyper-V is actually RUNNING and thus the host CPU (and the bios setting) is shown to indeed have VT-x capabilities. 

And thus the key question/problem is that if Hyper-V is RUNNING ok, why can't we run the VMs? 

Incidentally, my hardware (just a test Hyper-V box for learning purposes):

Asus P8P67-Deluxe

Intel Core i7-2600K

16 GB of DDR3-1333

1TB SATA drive

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:46 PM
  • Just some additional info:

Just for fun and to see if I could get VMware Workstation VMs running on my Sandy Bridge box, I took out the hard drive on my Sandy Bridge box and put in a new drive and then installed Win 7 x64 ENT.  Then put on WMware Workstation 7.  As I type this, Win 7 x64 ENT is being installed on a VMware VM.

So Sandy Bridge can definitely run VMs, at least under VMware Workstation 7.   VT-x is thus alive and well on the i7-2600K.  

...It's just that Hyper-V doesn't seem to run VMs on Sandy Bridge...yet...

Come on guys at Microsoft.  Don't tell me none of you Hyper-V geeks haven't gotten your hands on a little i7-2xxx and immediately (tried to) set up a Hyper-V box!

Let us know what you find.  If there's a problem, please try to get on it and fix it or let us know how to get around it.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:44 AM
  • DEP also has to be enabled for Hyper-V, but I'm guessing you have it
    set up that way.  Otherwise I can't think of any reason why Hyper-V
    wouldn't work on your machine.  What does it do?

I don't have any machines with Sandy bridge.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:31 AM
  • Hi all,

just though I'd add something, I have the same problem as well and after I installed the Service Pack 1 RC, the VM will boot now

• Marked as answer by Seafire888 Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:10 PM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:06 PM
  • A lot was changed.  The biggest thing I ran into was a video driver
    issue that was fixed in SP1. (host would BSOD on boot if the
    hypervisor was enabled)

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:32 PM
  • Not necessarily a good test, since VMWare Workstation doesn't require hardware virtualization.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Hi all,

THANKS ADI!

I just applied the SP1 RC to the Hyper-V host and the VMs now start up OK!

• Proposed as answer by Dilip Naik Tuesday, August 02, 2011 8:42 PM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:12 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. Intel i5-2500 with Asus P8P67 Pro. I can't install RC software on this server, are there any hotfixes or similar that are included in the SPI RC that I can apply separately?
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 1:51 AM
  • Hi there

Great forum!  I was having the issues as above on an i5-2500K.  I was getting so frustrated as I purposely got this machine to use for Hyper-V as well as a desktop 2008 R2.

Question is now that I have installed SP1 RC and its working (yay), what happens with the RTM SP comes out?  Can you upgrade directly, or do you have to uninstall (if you can) and reinstall?  Worst case scenario reinstalling Windows again...

Friday, January 21, 2011 5:41 AM
  •   You uninstall the RC version, then install the RTM version of the service pack. I have done it several times with the betas and no problems. If you are running Hyper-V I would make sure that all of the vms were shut down, not in a saved state (just in case).

Bill
    Friday, January 21, 2011 5:57 AM
  • Thanks for that Bill

At least I know I can begin to configure my machine as I want it...

Friday, January 21, 2011 7:56 AM
  • If this can help anyone, I'm using a brand new sandy bridge based computer, and I have no chance to start a VM using hyper-V

Downloaded an unofficial SP1 release of WS2008R2, and I could start them straight after !!

SP1 is the clue !

Regards

Stephane

MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    Transcript ID: 825434 - Access Code: microsoft

• Proposed as answer by JoinTheDotz Monday, February 07, 2011 5:08 PM
    Sunday, February 06, 2011 11:04 PM
  • I have this problem too. Did you find solution for your case? My H/W: CPU: i7 2600K RAM: 16GB Motherboard: Asus P8H67M-Pro I downloaded Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 with SP1. And it is failed to start VM. But if I run W2K8 R2 Standard (Server Core and Full installation). VM can be started successfully.
    Cheers,
    Victor Tong (Blog: http://www.0101news.com)
    CISSP
    ITIL V3 Foundation
    MCTS| Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization
    MCITP| Server Administrator
    MCITP| Enterprise Messaging Administrator
    Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:17 AM
  • This may be the cause:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2517374

You cannot start virtual machines on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 and on which a CPU is installed that supports the AVX feature....

• Proposed as answer by Victor Tong Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:11 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:20 PM
  • I had the same problem and this patch worked for me, thanks!
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 10:56 AM
  • Hi There,

We have a problem on i5-2500k processor.

I have intel i5-2500k processor

gigabyte p67-ua4 motherboard

8gb kingstone hyperx 1600 mhz ram

But I dont work Hyper-V on Server 2008 R2.Where is the problem?

Thank you.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:31 AM
  • Hi! I had problem with data throughput on a virtualized (with H-V) server with 2600K. Securable said that the CPU doesn't have VT capability. I saw into the BIOS and VT was on. I tried to replace the processor with a 2600 without "K" this lunch time, but Securable always told me that the VT capability is not supported.

Now I'll try the performance of the VM, but it's a strange that Securable can't find the VT capability of the processor. Is there something to do into windows?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:41 PM
  • If you're trying to run Securable in Hyper-V this is expected. 

Once you install Hyper-V your primary OS installation essentially becomes a virtual machine and no longer has hardware virtualization since it not directly on the hardware.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:46 PM
  • So, securable on a Hyper-V host couldn't recognize  if VT is enabled on the CPU? And also other softwares like intel's one?

Because I triedin my lab  with the same MB and same cpu using a bootable floppy and it can recognize the VT...

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:51 PM
  • I would imagine it depends on the utility you are using and if it is aware that it is running in Hyper-V.

If you can start a VM, then Hyper-V is working, regardless of what a utility tells you.

All I am saying is that in the Hyper-V parent OS, once you install the Hyper-V role you're no longer directly running on the hardware.

Here's a related post regarding Hyper-V and Securable

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2008/05/07/it-doesn-t-feel-like-a-hypervisor-to-me.aspx

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:26 PM
  • I would imagine it depends on the utility you are using and if it is aware that it is running in Hyper-V.

If you can start a VM, then Hyper-V is working, regardless of what a utility tells you.

All I am saying is that in the Hyper-V parent OS, once you install the Hyper-V role you're no longer directly running on the hardware.

Here's a related post regarding Hyper-V and Securable

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2008/05/07/it-doesn-t-feel-like-a-hypervisor-to-me.aspx

Wonderful!!! You gave me a good information!!!!!!!!
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:47 PM
  • You're welcome!

• Proposed as answer by Charles.Mat Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:07 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:27 PM