none
an error occurred while attempting to connect to server check that the virtual machine management service is running and that you are authorized to connect to the serer

Question

• Hello,

I have a server, which run the separting servers (1 windows 2008 r2 server core and the other is windows 2008 r2 enterprise). i tried to connect the server core from the hyper-v manager by entering the ip address of server core, it gave me this error:

"An error occurred while attempting to connect to server x.x.x.x. Check that the virtual machine management service is running and that you are authorized to connect to the server"

how to go about solving this error? 

Friday, June 11, 2010 7:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• What exactly are you attempting to do?

Is your Server Core installation a Hyper-V Server? (you added the Hyper-V role to a Server Core installation)

If so, you need to enable the remote maangement firewall rule.

If the Server Core is domain joined and the machine you are connecting from is also joined to the same domain then your traffic is seen as trusted by default.  If this is not the case it is blocked by default.

Also, Server Core has super tight advanced firewall settings by default - you need to enable each and every firewall hole you need.  It forces you to be aware that you are opening holes in the firewall.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Friday, June 11, 2010 3:18 PM
  • The Server Core is from Windows R2 2008..So by default there is already hyper-v inside.

Hmm, i'm not sure, but i was asked to solve the error, and everything was already set up.

One thing is, the domain for server core is removed (via SCONFIG), so am i right to say that the server core is not in any domain now? since it is the case, i have to enable remote management firewall rule (in server core)?:

> netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="remote administration" new enable=yes

this question posted in here before, he/she had the same error as me and he/she disabled the firewall as said by him/her:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverhyperv/thread/c36b3a52-c00a-4a9b-a479-2d51c8fa6e8a

Friday, June 11, 2010 3:58 PM
  • Remeber:  "Server Core" and "Hyper-V Server" are not the same thing.

Also, when you unjoin from a domain your firewall rules might not be reset, but your domain firewall rule will NOT be used.

Also remember that Advanced Firewall has three bucketst hat it evaluates traffic into:  Domain, Private, and Public and each has different firewall settings.  This is different than Windows Firewall which has its own settings.

This being said, if you disable the firewall, you must do it correctly and in the correct place.  Focus on the Advanced Firewall and settings not the Windows Firewall when dealing with Server Core.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Friday, June 11, 2010 5:31 PM
  • Oh okay, i will take note that "Server Core" is different from "Hyper-V Server".

Hmm, so the firewall command i listed before is advanced firewall..

Since it unjoin from the domain, domain firewall rule will not be used. So even if i disable the firewall, the server core also will be able to use the setting cause i'm just practically disabling the firewall for the server core?

So, just to confirm, i disable the firewall in server core, this is to enable traffic to come in, because practically when firewall is on, all inbound traffic will be blocked. And this might be the cause for the error i had? I not sure why i had this error.. there is no domain for server core won't cause this error i guess?

Saturday, June 12, 2010 1:46 AM
  • + 1

"....i disable the firewall in server core, this is to enable traffic to come in, because practically when firewall is on, all inbound traffic will be blocked. And this might be the cause for the error i had? I not sure why i had this error.. there is no domain for server core won't cause this error i guess?...."

If the host cannot be part of the same domain like management client then there are additional configuration steps required (azman/firewall..). But check out the "hvremote" script (which is supported on core editions) from John Howard, which does all this for you and can be used for remote access/management configurations:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jhoward/archive/2008/11/14/configure-hyper-v-remote-management-in-seconds.aspx

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/HVRemote

Regards

Ramazan

Sunday, June 13, 2010 6:38 PM
  • i downloaded the hvremote.wsf, but when i tried to run it on server core (cscript hvremote.wsf...) they would give me what "hvremote.wsf could not be found.. i put it somewhere in the c drive directory, but why they could not detect it?

because of the above so-called 'error' , i cannot proceed on

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:07 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to manage a remotely Hyper-V computer easily, it’s better to add both the remote Hyper-V computer and the client computer you used for remote management to the same domain, then you can use a domain user account who is a member of the local administrators group on the remote Hyper-V computer.

If you do want to keep them in a workgroup instead of domain, you may encounter some permission issue, there are many posts discussed the similar issue in this forum. You can refer to the following blogs and post.

Part 1 - Hyper-V Remote Management: You do not have the required permission to complete this task. Contact the administrator of the authorization policy for the computer ‘COMPUTERNAME’

http://blogs.technet.com/jhoward/archive/2008/03/28/part-1-hyper-v-remote-management-you-do-not-have-the-requested-permission-to-complete-this-task-contact-the-administrator-of-the-authorization-policy-for-the-computer-computername.aspx

Configure Hyper-V Remote Management in seconds

http://blogs.technet.com/jhoward/archive/2008/11/14/configure-hyper-v-remote-management-in-seconds.aspx

Manage Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 in a Workgroup environemtn

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/a3bba155-5745-44a1-91c7-a94e8a4d7842

By the way, if you want to perform the further research on hvremote.wsf, it is recommend you to get further support in the corresponding community so that you can get the most qualified pool of respondents. Thanks for your understanding.

Discussions for Hyper-V Remote Management Configuration Utility

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/HVRemote/Thread/List.aspx

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:32 AM
  • Hmm. My server core is in workgroup. I wanna change it to domain via sconfig but it says 'the requested domain cannot be found' or something like that..
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:27 AM
  • Hi,

Before you add the computer to a domain, you need to configure correct IP address, gateway, DNS for it.

How to change a computer name, join a domain, and add a computer description in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295017

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:11 AM
  • Hi

What do you mean by :

"If you don’t want to keep them in a workgroup instead of domain..."

Does it mean to keep them in workgroup instead of domain?

the computer(not server core) is by default, has a domain right? whereas for server core, we can choose to set it as either domain or workgroup?

we can check the domain (DNS) for the computer via ipconfig right. sorry to ask about this, but i just wanna confirm. cause in the link you gave me for Part 1, we have to enter the domain name, which is the DNS i supposed.

is it possible that we made the computer (not server core) to be in a workgroup? (just asking, i don't intend to do that i guess) cause in this link, the person made both in workgroups, and he/she just turned the firewall off, and both can connect:

http://networking.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/networkadmin-l/managing-server-core-2008-from-windows-2008-in-same-workgroup-3416358 

Sorry and thanks a lot.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Hi,

I am sorry for the wrong word, it meant if you do want to use workgroup.

There isn’t a domain by default, you need to create active directory on a computer and then this computer is a domain controller in your environment. After that, you can add other computer to this domain. With domain user with specified privilege, it’s very easy and convenient to manage another computer remotely.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Friday, June 18, 2010 5:40 AM
  • Okay. So by default, both the client and server (server core) is in workgroup?
    Friday, June 18, 2010 7:45 AM
  • Hi,

You can say so.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Friday, June 18, 2010 8:15 AM
  • I have the same problem for a while. I have switch off firewall and enabled the domain administrator to every items which I found them on the internet. But the problem still remains.

hvremote shows everything is fine.

Can Microsoft point us to a right way? Should we reinstall everything from scratch? It is not way to do, is it?

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:14 AM
  • I wish a Microsoft rep would answer this question, it has been a LONG time, and connecting should not be this hard.  I can connect flawlessly with HVM but not with Hyper-V Manager.....

Thursday, March 19, 2015 5:42 PM
  • Nice!!!
    Thursday, October 05, 2017 7:58 PM