none
RDP hangs on Welcome with Windows 7 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know what is going on with RDPing to a Windows 2008 R2 Ent server?  I have about 20 of them and majority of the time anymore, I cannot RDP to them.  The screen stays on the Welcome screen or the Applying users' settings screen.  I cannot use Terminal Services to connect to the box if it is having the RDP issue.

My servers are always a few weeks behing on updates and they are 64 bit.  As is mt workstation, 64 bit and currently up to date with patches, updates, etc.  Good thing I have the DRAC access, but rebooting a server everytime I want to RDP to it is NOT a solution for the issue.  Anyone?

Thanks!
    Randy

Friday, June 3, 2011 10:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Randy,

To work around this problem, you can use the Remote Desktop Services Manager MMC snap-in/tsadmin.msc to reset the client session to recover from this situation. You may have to reset several sessions until Remote Desktop services recovers completely. Resetting the client forces a termination of the client session.

WS2008: Terminal Server Management and Administration
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2008/02/15/ws2008-terminal-server-management-and-administration.aspx

For more information about RDP issue, please refer to:

Remote Desktop to Windows 7 Professional hangs at Welcome screen
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/remote-desktop-to-windows-7-professional-hangs-at/396380b2-df5b-4a4c-ba08-d50e4b084754

Server 2008 R2 Hangs at Welcome Screen.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winservergen/thread/89bfe1f5-33e1-4cd4-a4e5-d6bce07e39f2

Remote desktop slow problem solved
    http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/microsoft/remote-desktop-slow-problem-solved.asp

Brent
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, June 6, 2011 2:58 AM
  • Brent:

I am unable to connect via Termina Services.  I try this everytime I am unable to connect via RDP, just to make sure there are multiple connections hanging the box up.  The only way I can connect to the box is via Dell's Remote Access Controller (DRAC) and I then have to perform a system reboot.  I can then usually RDP in successfully, a few times before the problem starts to happen again.  And yes, I am logging off when I use the RDP sessions, so I do not keep multiple session active on the server.

Items in "Remote Desktop to Windows 7 Professional hangs at Welcome screen" do not really apply to this situation.  But Firewall allows RDP, servers have a static IP address.

Items in "Server 2008 R2 Hangs at Welcome Screen" - I do have a shared network drive mapped, however it is not available offline.  The mapped drive is for a drive that stores all of my Admin tools, so it is mapped on all my servers.  That shared folder is located from a Domain Controller.  I cannot add a background image for the boxes becuase it tells me background are not enabled for RDP connections.

Remote desktop slow problem solved, does not really apply since my network is 1GB traffic and everything including the internet run fast.  I did apply the bottom 2 netsh suggesitons just to verify the speed increase, and I really don't notice an increase at all.\

Thanks, but so far I am still having this problem.

I did install SP1 on a 2008 R2 Ent box, and the problem still exists.  I also installed KB 2379016  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2379016) on a 2008 Ent w/ SP2 box and I have been able to connect to it a few times already today.  However, most my 2008 R2 boxes are not fixed by this Hotfix.

Randy

Monday, June 6, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Does this issue happen at the console of the server?

Is RDS the only role of these servers?

How much time does it stay at the welcome screen?

Does the issue happen if you were to take one of the servers out of the domain and test?

Try adding the below registry key on the server, reboot may be required.

Registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    Entry: BufferPolicyReads
    Type: DWORD
    Value: 1

Run the netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled command to disable the TCP Chimney Offload feature.

Let me know if these steps help!

Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Brent
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:31 AM
  • I opened a ticket with Microsoft and they collected a couple MSDTs and then issued me a hotfix.  I have only installed the hotfix on 3 servers, so far.  A 4th tonight.  So far everything is running fine, however it usually took a couple days to start after a reboot.

The reason for the hotfix was because there were many system 7011 errors, which means masny services were trying to access the tcpip.sys file at the same time.

Randy

Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Hi Randy,

If you can share your solutions and KB here, it will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Brent
    Monday, June 13, 2011 3:30 AM
  • Looks like you installed: 2465772 An application or service that uses Winsock API or Winsock Kernel API may randomly stop responding in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7

Do let us know if this permanently resolves your issue.

Monday, June 13, 2011 5:08 AM
  • I installed KB2465772, as Sumesh assumed.  And after a couple days, the issue has started up again.  I have not yet looked into the logs and will hopefully submit another MSDT to the Microsoft technical rep and come up with a solution soon.

Randy

Monday, June 13, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Do post back when you discover the solution.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:58 AM
  • it seem like a problem in the driver installed that is in conflict , check for any new driver update or any new hardware installation on the system.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:49 AM
  • I realize this was old, but I had this issue with a Windows 7 machine, tried many other solutions, but this one worked.  I am not sure which worked, whether it was the netsh chimney offload or the regedit, but doing both and rebooting fixed the issue for me, thanks a million!

EDIT:

It seemed to be fixed.  I was able to RDP several 6 times with no issue, but after a reboot the issue returned again.

Monday, June 17, 2019 5:17 PM
  • Microsoft have since stopped supporting the hot fix KB2465772. They now urge you to upgrade instead.
    I don't know if they are allowed to do that when support for Win7 has not ended.
    Monday, July 15, 2019 6:03 PM