none
Using GPO to modify Windows 7 Registry from Windows Server 2008 DC RRS feed

• Question

• What is the correct (best practices) way of doing this? My manager keeps telling me that the "correct" way is to install the following Administrative Template on the DC:

"Administrative Templates (ADMX) for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7"

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6243

Then he says that in Group Policy, there will be no need to remotely connect to a Windows 7 registry in order to modify a registry setting that's exclusive to Windows 7.

Is this accurate? Or is the right way to just use the New Registry Item option within GP?

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

I need to add the following registry entry to all Windows 7 machines. The Gwx key does not exist and must be created in order for the DWORD value can be added. In GP, it allows me to create the DWORD value, but not the Gwx key itself. It will let me browse to the Windows key, but then I don't see where to create the Gwx key.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx]
    "DisableGwx"=dword:00000001

One option is a .reg file, and just execute it on each machine, but that's not efficient. Is there a way to maybe deploy a .reg file to all machines?

thanks

Friday, July 10, 2015 3:42 PM

Answers

• Very simply, use the GPO option you screenshot. You don't need to create the Key.

Set Hive to HKLM, HKCU, or whatever you need it to be.

Set Key Path to the FULL PATH. Don't just browse to where the key goes. Add the key.

i.e from above "SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NewKeyName"

You don't explicitly create the key, you just tell it where to drop the value, and it creates the keys accordingly. Think of it like a folder path. If you say copy c:\windows\*.* c:\windows\mywindowsbackup\ it will create the mywindowsbackup subfolder in the windows directory for you.

Friday, July 10, 2015 8:09 PM

All replies

• Surprise your manager that Microsoft couldn't publish this settings in 7/13/2010 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6243). As I understand it is Windows 10 upgrade notification that can be removed by your registry key. You are right.

lol thanks.

Now here's my dilemma:

I created the .reg file and ensured that it's valid, by executing it on another machine. Now my issue is that when I create the GPO, add it as a startup script, and reboot the machine, nothing gets applied.

any ideas?

Friday, July 10, 2015 8:03 PM
  • Very simply, use the GPO option you screenshot. You don't need to create the Key.

Set Key Path to the FULL PATH. Don't just browse to where the key goes. Add the key.

You don't explicitly create the key, you just tell it where to drop the value, and it creates the keys accordingly. Think of it like a folder path. If you say copy c:\windows\*.* c:\windows\mywindowsbackup\ it will create the mywindowsbackup subfolder in the windows directory for you.

Friday, July 10, 2015 8:09 PM

That works! 

Thank you.

Friday, July 10, 2015 9:38 PM
  • Not a problem.
    Saturday, July 11, 2015 3:59 AM