none
Remote Desktop Protocol 8.0 update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (KB2592687) breaks context menus (right-click and ribbon dropdowns) for RemoteApp Office 2010 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Within a day of installing update KB2592687, I had reports of context menus appearing for a fraction of a second then disappearing on RemoteApp session with Office 2010 applications, including Outlook, OneNote, and Word.  On most clients, this problem was not observed at the beginning of a session.  The delay varied from minutes to hours.  Based on internet searching, this appeared to be an office plug-in or install corruption issue.  After repairing Office, modifying registeries, reinstalling Office, and deleting user profiles, I tried removing the KB2592687 update, which only seemed related to the problem because of when it was installed.  Removing KB2592687 appears to fix the problem, based on the last 24 hours.  No one else seems to be having this problem, or they haven't discovered this new cause.

Server: Win 2008 R2; Office 2010 x64

Clients: Win 7

All computers have the latest Microsoft updates via WSUS.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To install the RDP 8.0 update, you must have hotfix 2574819 installed. Did you ever install the hotfix?

I suggest you ask in the office forum to see whether they can provide you some fixes.If not,I suggest you uninstall the KB2592687 to fix the problem,and then wait for the office product team to rectify this issue.

regards,

Clarence

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 7:59 AM
  • I'd like to add that we are experiencing the exact same problem.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 11:09 AM
  • Clarence,

Thanks for your reply!  KB2574819 was installed with KB2592687, so installing it does not fix this problem.  I have uninstalled KB2592687, because doing so fixed the problem.

I will post to the office team, but this issue seems more like a RemoteApp problem.  Office 2010 has been working well for years.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 11:57 AM
  • Hi, I experienced another problem with KB2574819 on a stand-alone PC (Win7pro64): in XP mode the drives disappeared. It was suddenly no more possible to activate the integration features for only selected drives. If one does not select all harddisks, no Win7-disks at all will be available in XP mode. The crosses on the selected drives get just ignored. Deinstalling this obviously buggy update resolves this problem.
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 6:26 PM
  • It's not necessary (and there is no real benefit) to installing RDC 8.0 update on Windows 7 SP1 machines that are NOT connecting to Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 deployments.

That being said, if this is an easy enough issue to reproduce I would recommend opening a case with Microsoft Support to have the issue investigated. 

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

Thursday, November 1, 2012 8:55 PM
  • I appreciate anyone's thoughts on this issue, but this question should not be marked as answered.  I explicitly stated that the 2574819 hotfix does not fix the problem.  Don Geddes suggestion to not install the update if you don't need it does not fix the problem if you need the update.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:55 AM
  • If the target server is Windows Server 2008 R2, you do not need the update, so I don't understand why you're installing it.

If you're also connecting to Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 machines so you need the RDC 8.0 update, then make sure you enable RDP 8.0 by enabling the policies listed in the article (I have seen many people miss that part of the article).

If you can still reproduce this then I would recommend you open a case and work with someone in Microsoft Support, because if there is an issue we would like to investigate.

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:41 PM
  • We are seeing a this issue (Not been able to prove it is linked to KB2592687 yet...)

Our users start one app via RemoteApp, this works fine, but then will open a word document, that starts a RemoteApp of Ms Word 2010 in the same session. The RemoteApp of MS word sees the issue where content (right click) menus vanish or disappear a split second after they appear.

Delete of the user profile on the TS does not resolve the issue.

Monday, November 12, 2012 4:40 PM
  • Your first remark is not entirely true, there are supposed to be benefits for connecting to Windows 7 SP1 as well. I quote from KB2592687:

New features for remote computers that are running Windows 7 SP1

The RDP 8.0 update lets remote computers that are running Windows 7 SP1 use RDP 8.0. The update contains the following features for remote computers that are running Windows 7 SP1: 
    • RemoteFX for WAN
    • RemoteFX Network Auto Detect
    • RemoteFX Adaptive Graphics
    • RemoteFX USB Redirection for non-RemoteFX vGPU virtual desktops
    • Support for Nested Sessions
    • Performance counters for monitoring the user experience

Secondly, this problem is not isolated to Windows 7 SP1 machines, the problems occurs on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 clients as well, for which the workaround to uninstall KB2592687 is not available.

Clearly there is a compatibility issue with RDP 8.0 clients when connecting to RemoteApps on an RDP 7.1 server.

Gerard

Monday, November 12, 2012 10:41 PM
  • Those features only work if the target system has RDP 8.0 as well.

Make sure you enable RDP 8.0 by setting the policies on a Windows 7 SP1 machine.

This sort of issue can't really be fixed using the forums though, so if you are experiencing this issue please open a case with Microsoft Support. 

Monday, November 12, 2012 11:13 PM
  • I'm convinced that KB2592687 causes the problem. I've revealed a workaround. Instruct users to press ALT to activate main menu and then press CTRL+ALT, this will fix context menus. In some cases you even have no need to activate main menu of an application, just press CTRL+ALT. By the way, activating main menu by pressing ALT in our case is the action that breaks context menus.
    • Edited by Mikhail Os Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:23 AM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:46 AM
  • I'm convinced that KB2592687 causes the problem. I've revealed a workaround. Instruct users to press ALT to activate main menu and then press CTRL+ALT, this will fix context menus. In some cases you even have no need to activate main menu of an application, just press CTRL+ALT. By the way, activating main menu by pressing ALT in our case is the action that breaks context menus.

Tried your workaround, but noticed that it only works temporarily.

More than two and a half months later there is apparently still no resolution for this issue. For the first time ever we used The Approve for Removal feature of WSUS to uninstall KB2592687, which worked fine (even though Windows 7 requires two reboots to do it).

However, most of our users are on Windows 8 now, where this bug also occurs, with no possibility to fix this by remove an update. The only workaround is to recommend users to use Office applications in a Remote Desktop session rather than as RemoteApps. :-(

Gerard

Monday, January 14, 2013 9:35 PM
  • I can also confirm that the problem exists in Windows 7 SP1 Russian and it is very annoying. Can Microsoft confirm that this is a problem?

dgedded, you workaround (Alt, Alt+Ctrl) really works, thanks a lot!
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:09 AM
  • I am seeing this problem with office 2010 on a server 2012 remoteapp server with windows 7 client
    • Edited by notleyhigh Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:20 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:20 PM
  • I have the same problem

Using Server 2008 R2 Sp1, and windows 7 x64 Sp1, using remoteapp. there we publish 3 party app

The problem is werry noticeably, and is clearly related to KB2592687, as the problem with the dropdown menys, not working, is solved after removing the patch, on the clients, and then reapears after installing the patch.

Are there any open MS cases with this problem ?

Jakob Lundqvist

Monday, February 25, 2013 3:30 PM
  • Has anyone here found a way of removing the update by script?

We've unfortunantly got this update installed on our whole PC population.

I've tried following the guidelines on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa372104(v=vs.85).aspx using the patch GUID {D30E6B99-5CA6-49D4-83C5-7543236D341B} and product code {945A8954-C147-4ACD-923F-40C45405A658} as shown in the EventViewer log referring to the patch after installation, but all i get is a message telling me that the product is not installed.

Guidance is much appreciated!

/David

Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:52 PM
  • This is a known issue and we are working on a fix.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:47 AM
  • good  to know, thanks for replying 
    Monday, March 18, 2013 8:30 PM
  • Can anyone say something about this issue? We have about 200 users affected by this bug. :(
    Monday, April 22, 2013 3:01 PM
  • Any news about it?
    About 100 employees have this problem too in company where I work.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:24 PM
  • 160 users affected here for one of my clients. Any update on a fix and/or workaround?
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 3:19 PM
  • Any News on this? update anytime soon?
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:01 PM
  • Any update?
    Monday, June 17, 2013 7:31 PM
  • Two fixes have been released for this.

For Windows 8:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2822241 

For Windows 7:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2847932

Monday, June 17, 2013 9:17 PM
  • Two fixes have been released for this.

For Windows 8:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2822241 

For Windows 7:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2847932

Did anyone install the two patches mentioned above and see if this work?  I have sort of the same issue, but what happens to a published application we are running on a TS2008 R2, is that when we minimize the application, it disappears from our tool bar, however, the connection and the app appears to be running, just in lala land we guess.

Removing the said update on win7 solved the problem for the most part, but now that we are starting to use Win8 machines, we noticed the same issue, just this time with no patch to remove :(

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:23 PM
  • I came across an issue, when you minimize published "old-fashioned" application to the system tray and it disappears completely, although it is running. All you have to do is just check an option that does not allow application to go to system tray, to minimize to the tool bar instead, if the option exists of course. I don't know whether it is tied somehow to the fixes.
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:11 AM
  • I know this is an old thread but I am having the same problem with Windows 7 thin clients, Windows 2012 R2 RDS server and Office 2013. In fact the problem happens even in published IE and possibly the other published RemoteApps (have to confirm that). The CTR+ALT fix works. I tried to apply the fixes suggested by Don Geddes but they are not compatible with Windows 2012 R2.

Is there a fix for Windows 2012 R2? Has Microsoft acknowledged the problem?

Monday, March 24, 2014 3:56 PM
  • I am seeing the exact same thing, exact problem on W7 Pro x86 clients connecting to 2012 R2 RDS server using office 2013, happens on our Published IE as well.  The CTR+ALT only temporarily fixes, same with removing the user's profile from the server, but low an behold the users may work fine for few hours and then see the problem happen again.  I have not explored yet for KB files on those clients yet, will look in the morning and see if it makes a difference.  

Joshua Craddock PinComputing LP. Systems Administrator

Monday, April 7, 2014 9:59 PM
  • I'm having the exact same issues, we're running HP t510 Flexible Thin Clients with Embedded Windows 7 on Windows Server 2008; and when someone right clicks in Office 2013, they have that issue. I've tried flashing different versions of the image for the thin clients, but still no luck. It does usually take approximately 24 to 48 hours before it shows up though, not sure what's going on there. Anyone find a fix yet?

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:55 PM