none
Multiple SQL Cluster (2008, 2012, 2016) on a Single Windows Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

Can I have multiple SQL Cluster configured on a single environment (Windows Cluster?

For example - I have a 5 Node Windows 2012 R2 Windows Failover Cluster on which I want to configure 2 nodes to run as SQL 2008 Cluster, 4 nodes as SQL 2012 Cluster & 2 Nodes with 2016 Cluster. 

The combination of nodes can be in any number (2 - SQL 2012, 4 -  SQL 2008 or 5 - SQL 2016) but underlying I have only 5 nodes that will form the cluster. So, a single CNO (of 5 nodes) under which there will be multiple SQL Clusters (of 2, 3, 4 or 5 Nodes).

Is that possible? Above all, is that a recommended & supported scenario?

Thanks!

Thursday, September 12, 2019 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It is possible to have multiple SQL Server clusters under a Windows Failover cluster, if your Windows Failover cluster is a Hyper-V cluster, then you can create the SQL Server clusters as virtualized.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, September 12, 2019 9:42 AM
  • Hi Leon,

Thanks for the response!

However, we have 5 Physical Nodes & they are part of a single cluster.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 11:47 AM
  • You cannot have a physical cluster under another physical cluster.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 11:59 AM
  • As Leon states, you cannot configure a physical cluster under another physical cluster.  Nor can you have a single host as a member of more than a single cluster.

It is possible to have two different versions of SQL in a single cluster, but you would need to have them installed on different nodes.  For example, you could have SQL 2012 installed on two nodes of the cluster and SQL 2016 installed on three nodes of the cluster.

As to whether you can have two different versions of SQL installed on the same node of the cluster, you should ask the SQL HA experts in their own forum - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=sqldisasterrecovery

tim

Thursday, September 12, 2019 1:38 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situation.

Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, September 16, 2019 8:11 AM
  • Hi Tim,

From Windows Failover Clustering, I definitely understand that a single node cannot be part of 2 WSFC. What I wanted to confirm that if there is n Node WSFC, can 2 nodes (of that n node WSFC) run SQL 2008 cluster, other 2 SQL 2012, another n nodes - SQL 2016?

From your response, it seems that it can be done but can be better confirmed by SQL HA experts. Yes - I did ask the same question on the SQL HA forum as well, at the same time but over there as well the response seems to be mixed. Hence, the confusion continues.

am not able to put the link in here (though i have already verified my email id) however if you search the SQL HA forum with the same subject as that of this, you will get my query posted.

social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/231c6035-22a8-41f9-ae02-13d5d6b77cff/multiple-sql-cluster-2008-2012-2016-on-a-single-windows-cluster?forum=sqldisasterrecovery

Above all, the big question is - is it recommeneded & will that configuration be supported by Microsoft. Will be get help from MS WSFC & SQL HA team when need be?

So far the response I have got on either of the forums doesn't give a clear answer.

Monday, September 23, 2019 7:50 PM
  • You can have different of versions of SQL Servers running on a cluster, but I'm pretty certain this isn't a recommended approach, but it should still be supported.

I've had customers running this kind of setups mainly because of limited resources and budget cuts, but they had multiple SQL Server versions on the same cluster nodes, not different cluster nodes.

Your best shot to get a good/proper answer is from the SQL Server HA forum, they are the SQL experts there and know more about this than we do.

Monday, September 23, 2019 8:12 PM
  • I will again say that the better place to get an answer is in the SQL HA forum.  This forum is for general questions about failover clustering.  When asking about a specific application that runs on failover cluster, I will always bow to the answers in a forum that is dedicated to that application running on failover clusters.  The fact that you got conflicting/confusing responses to your question from the experts means that it is most likely not a recommended solution.  It also means that answers from this forum are going to be even less authoritative.

If you need a clear answer, and it is important to your business, open a case with Microsoft.  The few dollars spent up front getting an authoritative answer from Microsoft (TechNet forums are not authoritative answers) would most likely be monies well spent.

tim

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 2:35 AM