none
DNS issue after upgrading AD from 2008r2 to 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have only one domain controller running windows server 2008R2. I have added one DC (windows 2012r2) and transferred all the FSMO roles and removed network connection of Win 2k8R2 and tested it. 

After removing network connection, i couldnt able to join machines to domain. But FSMO roles are on new server.

When i run dcdiag on new server i got, failed test NetLogons against new server. 

If i turn on old server, i am able to join PCs. 

IN new server, i have given primary DNS IP as old server ip and alternate as 127.0.0.1. 

Thank you

Thanks

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 1:04 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you install the DNS role on the new server? What happens when you do a nslookup on the server? What DNS server do you have configured on the client? What forwarders do you have configured on the DNS server?

Regards,

Niels

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 1:16 PM
  • Please run;
    • Dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:%computername% >c:\dcdiag.log
    • repadmin /showrepl >C:\repl.txt
    • ipconfig /all > C:\dc1.txt
    • ipconfig /all > C:\dc2.txt
    • ipconfig /all > C:\problemworkstation.txt

then put unzipped text files up on OneDrive and share a link.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

I have installed DNS Server on the new server. If i do nslookup after removing network connection of old server, i got unknown. Later i added PTR record in DNS on new server. Then it shows new server name. 

I have 8.8.8.8 dns forwarder on old server but not on new server. I have configured new DNS Server IP on the client machines. If I shutdown old DC and try for netdom query fsmo on new DC it shows The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. But if i turn on old dc and try netdom query fsmo, it shows all roles on new server

Thanks

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 1:57 PM
  • Hello,

Did you demote the old server properly?

https://ivan.dretvic.com/2013/05/decomission-a-windows-2003-domain-controller/

Regards,

Niels

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:01 PM
  • I have demoted old dc. i just shut it down and checked the domain joining as it is not working, i have turned it back

Thanks

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:22 PM
  • Could you please run the commands as stated by Dave Patrick?

Thanks,

Niels

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:30 PM
  • Hi Dave,

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap4SZwPw12tDlFTDC4C_mH9ieFxH?e=BvLc9S 

Thanks

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:37 PM
  • Looks like some recent address changes? DNS may need cleaned up a bit.

10.180.9.2 (TEKZEN-PDC) [Valid]
                            10.180.9.110 (tekzen-pdc.symbiosys.local.) [Valid]

I'd remove 10.180.1.2 listed for DNS on TEK-SYM-PDC and replace with 10.180.9.110

then do ipconfig /flushdns, ipconfig /registerdns on both, also restart netlogon service. If problems persist then put up a new set of files.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:00 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

If there are any updates ,welcome to share here!

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, January 23, 2020 5:01 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while,

If this question has any update?

If you have any questions or concerns about it, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Again thanks for your time and have a nice day!

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 27, 2020 9:30 AM