TCP loss under load?

General discussion

• Hi, i have a tower running windows server 2008, and it is a media/storage server.

When i am writing to the server, which has a 2TB external drive attached via USB, the server drops connection alltogeather. If i ping the server (ie ping i receive a 100% success. When i am attempting to write to the shared storage, i get a 100% packet loss! and the transfer sticks on time remaining: Calculating.

This has never happened. I have replaced the switch but with very little experiance troubleshooting network failure im not sure where i can trace the packet loss or if its the server itself.

I have a NIC and a wireless card installed on the server, the NIC ( and wifi ( both loss connection. (unable to ping) until i cancel the file transfer, then the server, both addresses are reachable again!

Saturday, March 03, 2012 9:52 AM

All replies

• Add a persistent route from your machine to the server bounding it to the hard wire NIC.
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 12:54 PM

Hi deanfourie,

Thanks for posting here.

So will system responses properly if we write to the shared folder where stored on its local storage ?

Try to disable one of active NIC on this server ( wireless NIC maybe )and set it single homed , after that please try to see if we can still reproduce the phenomenon.  

Expected Behavior of Multiple Adapters on Same Network

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 05, 2012 8:26 AM