none
Installing 3rd party RAID Driver issue....

Question

• I know this is a 2008 forum but if you guys could help my out I'd appreciate it since I can't seem to find a 2003 forum.

I picked up two cheap servers from DELL to learn at home with. Upon startup of the installation (Windows 2003 server) I hit the F6 key to install the RAID drivers. There is no floppy on the server just a DVD drive (Drive A).  I place the DELL CD in the drive and hit the 'Enter' key to install the drivers but nothing happens.  It's as if I never pressed the enter key at all?  This ever happen to anyone before?

I just bought a technet subscription a month ago.  I downloaded the 2003 evaluation ISOs and burned them on CD.  Do you think I should try the copies that were mailed to me from Microsoft instead?  I can't imagine it being a hardware problem since the enter button worked fine a couple of screens before?

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:16 AM

Answers

• There are three ways to tackle this problem:

1. The easiest way to install a Dell Server is using the Dell OpenManage Server Assistent Media.

This CD was originally supplied along with the system. If you do not have the media you can easily download ISO files from Dell's support website. The CD contains a Graphical Wizard which will help you answer questions for the installation of an Operating System and will supply all the drivers for the system during the installation process.

The downside of this method is you will be stuck with loads of Dell software you might not need or might not want.

2. You can add a physical floppy device to your system, since this is the only media that can be used in Windows Server 2003 with F6 to install Mass Storage Controllers.

Microsoft in Microsoft KnowledgeBase article 314859 wrote:
      Mass storage controller drivers can be loaded only from floppy disks by using the F6 key. The F6 key cannot be used to load drivers that are stored on USB flash drives, on USB hard disks, or on other external storage devices.

3. Alternatively you can inject the Dell RAID drivers into your Windows Server 2003 installation media.
      Microsoft KnowledgeBase article 254078 explains this in great detail for both Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003.

For fast answers to Windows Server 2003 questions you can best ask them in one of the Windows Server 2003 newsgroups.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 8:04 AM

All replies

• There are three ways to tackle this problem:

1. The easiest way to install a Dell Server is using the Dell OpenManage Server Assistent Media.

This CD was originally supplied along with the system. If you do not have the media you can easily download ISO files from Dell's support website. The CD contains a Graphical Wizard which will help you answer questions for the installation of an Operating System and will supply all the drivers for the system during the installation process.

The downside of this method is you will be stuck with loads of Dell software you might not need or might not want.

2. You can add a physical floppy device to your system, since this is the only media that can be used in Windows Server 2003 with F6 to install Mass Storage Controllers.

Microsoft in Microsoft KnowledgeBase article 314859 wrote:
      Mass storage controller drivers can be loaded only from floppy disks by using the F6 key. The F6 key cannot be used to load drivers that are stored on USB flash drives, on USB hard disks, or on other external storage devices.

3. Alternatively you can inject the Dell RAID drivers into your Windows Server 2003 installation media.
      Microsoft KnowledgeBase article 254078 explains this in great detail for both Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003.

For fast answers to Windows Server 2003 questions you can best ask them in one of the Windows Server 2003 newsgroups.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 8:04 AM
  • Ok that would explain a great deal.  I think I'll go the dell open manage route with hopes of getting back more detailed errors from hardware failures.  Might do an RIS mods once the first server up.  Thanks for your help Sander! I appreciate your help.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 12:42 PM
  • Hi, I have a similar issue with a Dell Power Dege 2950 server on which i am trying to install Windows 2000. The Raid controllers on this server is PERC 6/i and using the Dell Open Management CD during installations, i see Widows 2000 is not supported. The option of extracting this RAID controller drivers to a floopy and pressing F6 during Win 2000 installations did not help either because i do not see Win 2000 option on the management CD from which to extract this controller driver. Please could you help me here. Thankx Guy Moquet.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 4:09 PM