none
VM not appearing in Hyper-V Manager

Question

• I have two servers running Hyper-V. One server has been running strong for 3 months with 5+ VM's. The other I just started building VM's on. I've had one VM running on the server for two weeks now, it is still running as I write this. The only problem I have is that the Hyper-V Console does not show the VM. "No virtual machines were found on this server" This just happend within the last day or two. Before that The server would display the VM. The VM is still running and I am afraid of rebooting the HW server. Any ideas?
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:12 PM

Answers

• Yep, you'll have to re-configure the real-time scanning to not scan the locations containing any of the VM files to include ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V.  You can also tell if the VM is running by examining task manager and showing the full command path for vmwp.exe and it will display the GUID associated with the error message.
    Chuck Timon Senior Escalation Engineer (SEE) Microsoft corporation
    • Marked as answer by CCC Techie Monday, December 15, 2008 9:35 PM
    Friday, December 12, 2008 3:37 AM

All replies

• Did you check the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management (vmms) service to see if it is running?

Restart this service and reconnect again.

Hope this helps
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:25 PM
  • I restarted the vmms service and still cannot see the VM. I did get some info from the event log.

"Virtual machine '918FFF4B-B203-4258-A0BF-2ECF362495A2' (ID=918FFF4B-B203-4258-A0BF-2ECF362495A2) was already running when the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service started."

"The description for Event ID 18160 from source Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:20 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, it seems the Hyper-V manager lost the associated symbolic link to the virtual machine configuration file.

To troubleshoot this problem efficiently, please perform the following suggestions to recreate the symbolic link:

1. Open an elevated command prompt, and then navigate to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines\" (it's a hidden path).

2. Check whether there is a symbolic file (xxx.xml) to the virtual machine configuration file. If so, please rename it.

3. Run the following command:

Mklink xxx.xml D:\VM\Test-VM\Virtual Machines\xxx.xml

Note: the “xxx” is the GUID of the specific virtual machine. You can get this number from the location where you put the configuration file (the .xml file). I am assuming that you put this configuration file at "D:\VM\Test-VM\Virtual Machines\xxx.xml".

If there are other symbolic links (XXX.xml) there in the %systemdrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines\ folder, please double-click each symbolic link to check whether it is orphaned. If any link is orphaned, an error will occur. If you find an orphaned link, please delete it and then use the Mklink tool to re-associate it to the virtual machine configuration file.

I understand that you are reluctant to restart the server now. If this problem continues, I still suggest that you schedule a maintenance time to reboot the Hyper-V server to test this issue again if possible. In this way, we can isolate temporary inconsistent state.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:51 AM
  • Vincent Hu said:

Hi,

According to your description, it seems the Hyper-V manager lost the associated symbolic link to the virtual machine configuration file.

To troubleshoot this problem efficiently, please perform the following suggestions to recreate the symbolic link:

1. Open an elevated command prompt, and then navigate to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines\" (it's a hidden path).

2. Check whether there is a symbolic file (xxx.xml) to the virtual machine configuration file. If so, please rename it.

3. Run the following command:

Mklink xxx.xml D:\VM\Test-VM\Virtual Machines\xxx.xml

Note: the “xxx” is the GUID of the specific virtual machine. You can get this number from the location where you put the configuration file (the .xml file). I am assuming that you put this configuration file at "D:\VM\Test-VM\Virtual Machines\xxx.xml".

If there are other symbolic links (XXX.xml) there in the %systemdrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines\ folder, please double-click each symbolic link to check whether it is orphaned. If any link is orphaned, an error will occur. If you find an orphaned link, please delete it and then use the Mklink tool to re-associate it to the virtual machine configuration file.

I understand that you are reluctant to restart the server now. If this problem continues, I still suggest that you schedule a maintenance time to reboot the Hyper-V server to test this issue again if possible. In this way, we can isolate temporary inconsistent state.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thanks for the suggestion, I just gave it a shot and I also restarted the VMMS service, but the VM still did not come up. Looks like I will have to reboot the server next.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:54 PM
  • Can you tell us if you have anti-virus software running on this Hyper-V server with real-time scanning configured?
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:17 PM
  • Yes, Trend Micro OfficeScan. Its running on both Hyper-V servers.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:59 PM
  • Yep, you'll have to re-configure the real-time scanning to not scan the locations containing any of the VM files to include ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V.  You can also tell if the VM is running by examining task manager and showing the full command path for vmwp.exe and it will display the GUID associated with the error message.
    • Marked as answer by CCC Techie Monday, December 15, 2008 9:35 PM
    Friday, December 12, 2008 3:37 AM
  • Chuck Timon [MSFT] said:

Yep, you'll have to re-configure the real-time scanning to not scan the locations containing any of the VM files to include ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V.  You can also tell if the VM is running by examining task manager and showing the full command path for vmwp.exe and it will display the GUID associated with the error message.

I am unsure why this only affected one of our two Hyper-V servers. They are configured exactly the same. This did fix the issue after a server reboot, all was well. Thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by etho Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:07 AM
    Monday, December 15, 2008 9:35 PM
  • Hi,

I have had the same situation happen to me. I have been trying to figure out where it all went wrong and believe I have found the problem. In the virtual machine directory there is an xml file. Upon opening this I see that all of the machines that did not appear have something wrong with the file after the dev008 line. It has an invalid character or syntax. I don't know how to fix this at the moment but I believe that if somebody could tell me where the guid that appears after this line is written I can recreate the xml file and get my machines working again without having to merge avhd files etc.

I know this post is a bit old but it is the newest one I could find.

Any help would be appreciated.
    • Proposed as answer by etho Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:16 AM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:12 AM
  • I think I may have solved my issue.
    I took an xml file from a different virtual machine that was working and viewed it using notepad. I compared it with the corrupted file and found that I only had to copy a few lines to get it to not look corrupted when I viewed it in internet explorer (what I use to view xmls)
    After replacing the corrupted xml with the modified one I can now see the virtual machine and it has started a process of merging snapshots.
    Hopefully all is fixed.
    Sorry propose this as answer not above.
    • Proposed as answer by etho Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:16 AM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:16 AM
  • Your posting was a great help.  I had a legacy Win2K server (production) that disappeared after running the infamous Windows Server Backup on my S2008 Std (not R2).  I don't know what corrupted the .xml, but painstaking comparison with a good one showed some trash added on the end of the .xml file.  Once corrected, stopped Hyper services, replaced file with good one and all came back. I think I was supposed to shut down all VMs, stop the Hyper services, then run backup -- at least that's what I will do next I use WSB.

Thanks again for posting.

MSRP
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 12:28 AM
  • It seems that any restart of the S2008 host causes corruption of one or more virtual machine definition files.  It requires editing them and chopping off the trash after the first </configuration> tag.  Even saving the machines before restarting does not work sometimes -- they must be "Shut Down".  Then I make paranoia copies of the .xml files. 

This is VERY BAD behavior on the part of Server/Hyper-V and I wonder when it is going to get fixed.

Server 2008 Std (not R2).

MSRP
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:20 PM
  • Hey Guys

Yeah it was a corrupt XML file in our situation too. I opened a good XML with firefox and it opened fine. I then opened the suspect corrupt one in firefox and it gave a syntax error at line 237. I then opened the XML in notepadd++ and found at line 237 was the last line of the XML file and the line showed

</configuration>>

It should have just been

</configuration>

So removed the extra > and restarted the hyperV service and boom it was there again.

Good times 

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 3:58 PM
  • Hey Guys

Yeah it was a corrupt XML file in our situation too. I opened a good XML with firefox and it opened fine. I then opened the suspect corrupt one in firefox and it gave a syntax error at line 237. I then opened the XML in notepadd++ and found at line 237 was the last line of the XML file and the line showed

</configuration>>

It should have just been

</configuration>

So removed the extra > and restarted the hyperV service and boom it was there again.

Good times 

Hello,

Thank you very much for your help. I'm french and i read your post, and before traduction as i can, i have solved my problem in xml file, at the end, i've look a lign in dedondancy behind <configuration> :

"bool">False</stopped_at_host_shutdown>
      </settings>
    </configuration>"

I suppress, i rebbot the service and the vm reappar, maggie !!!

Thanks a lot

Benjamin

Monday, July 07, 2014 9:08 AM
  • This did the job for me. But my file did not have the second >

I added the second >, then restarted the service. Then removed the > and restarted the service. The VM is coming up now.

Me

Monday, July 21, 2014 2:15 PM
  • Thank you.
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 4:30 PM