none
Selected writer "Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer" is in a failed state RRS feed

• Question

• Dears,

when ever i tried to test the VSS it fails and got the below results.

DISKSHADOW> Add volume d:

DISKSHADOW> Create

ERROR: Selected writer "Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer" is in a failed state
         - Writer failure code: 0x (VSS_E_WRITERERROR_INCONSISTENTSNAPSHOT)
         - Writer ID: {66841cd4-6ded-4f4b-8f17-fd23f8ddc3de}
         - Instance ID: {f2cb2402-f47c-43d4-8850-4d112483b9fa}

The last operation failed.
            - Returned HRESULT: 80042301
            - Error text: VSS_E_BAD_STATE

if I ran vssadmin list writers i got the below error:

Writer name: 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer'
       Writer Id: {66841cd4-6ded-4f4b-8f17-fd23f8ddc3de}
       Writer Instance Id: {f2cb2402-f47c-43d4-8850-4d112483b9fa}
       State: [8] Failed
       Last error: Inconsistent shadow copy

please advise

Samer F. Mustafa Microsoft Technical Team Leader. sf_mustafa@hotmail.com

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 8:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Since the reserved partition does not exist in your environment, so the possible cause I mentioned in my last reply does not apply to your situation.

Back to the error you received, it seems that Hyper V writer is broken. Please follow KB958662 for fixing the issue. The fix it tool provided with this KB can fix the broken hyper v writer.

How to back up Hyper-V virtual machines from the parent partition on a Windows Server 2008-based computer by using Windows Server Backup

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/958662

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 25, 2016 8:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Regarding the issue, please try to restart all of the Hyper-V services and check if the issue persists. Restart Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer related service will reset the Hyper-V VSS Writer on a host if it gets in an error state.

In addition, you should check the Event Viewer for any additional error information logged by that VSS writer.

Article for your reference:

VSS writers and inconsistent shadow copies

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adioltean/archive/2005/08/31/458907.aspx

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 5:16 AM
  • Many thanks for you Alvwan for your kind response, actually I did restart the hyper-v services and the writer become online with no errors, but if I tried to retest creating the VSS with the same commands i got the same error, 

Thursday, January 21, 2016 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

About the writer error: inconsistent snapshot, it usually indicates an issue with the VSS snapshot that was created. This could mean the snapshot was corrupt or there is an issue with the VSS service on your system. I did some research and found one similar case, when running Server 2008, the 100MB system partition that's created on install can cause this error.

Please check if there is 100MB system partition that's created on install in your environment.

If yes, you should assign a drive letter to this partition so that it becomes  “Active”. You can check this partition in Disk Management by following these steps:
    1. Open Disk Management by Clicking Start > Run and type diskmgmt.msc in the Open: line and click OK.
    2. Under the partitions, you'll notice a 100MB 'System Reserved' partition.

3. Right click the partition listing and select 'Change Drive Letter and Paths'.
    4. Click 'Add' and select the drive letter you wish to use and click 'OK'.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Friday, January 22, 2016 8:32 AM
  • Hi,

I have reviewed the partitions, and i found that the reserved partition is missing, how can I recreate this partition.

Sunday, January 24, 2016 10:04 AM
  • Hi,

Since the reserved partition does not exist in your environment, so the possible cause I mentioned in my last reply does not apply to your situation.

Back to the error you received, it seems that Hyper V writer is broken. Please follow KB958662 for fixing the issue. The fix it tool provided with this KB can fix the broken hyper v writer.

How to back up Hyper-V virtual machines from the parent partition on a Windows Server 2008-based computer by using Windows Server Backup

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/958662

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Monday, January 25, 2016 8:51 AM