none
BITS job suspended when started under elevated PS instance

Question

• Hi All, 

This is puzzling to me but perhaps someone can explain what's going on. 

I couldn't help but notice that when I attempt to start a BITS transfer in an elevated Powershell instance, they all go into a suspended state and refuse to do anything, including removal. I also noticed that I can't drag and drop files into the elevated PS shell to "fill in" their path.

"Get-BitsTransfer | <verb>-BitsTransfer" commands fail with similar error messages:

Start-BitsTransfer : The operation being requested was not performed because the user has not logged on to the network.

The specified service does not exist. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800704DD)

At line:1 char:19

+ Start-BitsTransfer <<<<  -source "C:\source\file.txt" -Destination "C:\destination"

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Start-BitsTransfer], COMException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException,Microsoft.BackgroundIntelligentTransfer.Management.NewBitsTransferCommand

Note that running "Get-BitsTransfer" afterwards in a regular user's PS instance returns no results. However I am able to list, resume, or remove the suspended BITS jobs when I actually log into Windows as an administrator and use PS. 

What gives? (and thanks!)

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 5:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According the error code 0x800704dd, it is the error message ERROR_NOT_LOGGED_ON. It occurs because the System Event Notification Service (SENS) is not receiving user logon notifications. BITS (version 2.0 and up) depends on logon notifications from Service Control Manager, which in turn depends on the SENS service. Ensure that the SENS service is started and running correctly.

By default, BITS runs under the LocalSystem account. To modify, stop or restart BITS, you must be logged on as an administrator. In your situation, when you log on a regular account and start the PS in elevated privilege, the BITS doesn’t run under regular user account. To resolve it, you may need to configure the log on user for BITS. Please visit the following link to configure how a service is started.

Configure How a Service is Started

Reference:

Issues with BITS

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 3:44 AM