none
Prevent RDP for killing existing login session to windows server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• We are two users using the same account on a Windows Server 2016. We use RDP to log in to the server. This works normaly fine. But if one user is logged in and the second user also loggs in the first users session is imediately killed. This is unfortunate as all data is lossed for the first user.

Is there any way to configure RDP/Windows server 2016 so that if a second user tries to log in to an account where the first users already is logged in, instead of killing his session RDP tells the second user that the account is already used and does not allow the connection to be established.

I am not interested in having multiple users able to log in to the same account simultaneously but just to prevent the second login to the account to kill the first login session.

Regards,

Bernhard Stockman

Sunday, October 13, 2019 7:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

well, the short answer to your exact question would be a 'no, not that I know of'. But, on the other hand, the behaviour you describe is not what I would have expected either. Normally, if a user logs on via RDP the session gets disconnected from the initial client and transferred to the new client. No data entry or open applications is lost.

If you expereince session loss on second logon, you probably have configured "Log off on disconnect" in your group policy which would indeed have this effect.

Evgenij Smirnov

http://evgenij.smirnov.de

Sunday, October 13, 2019 4:50 PM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 1:53 AM
  • The problems remains. As Evgenij Smirnov pointed out above what actually happens is that when a new user loggs in to the same account the session is transferred to the new user and no data is lossed. However, this is not the function I want. What I want is that RDP should warn that there is already a user logged in to the account in question and prohibit a second user from log in to the same account. The question is then is it possible to configure such a behaviour?

Regards,

Bernhard Stockman

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 8:41 AM
  • Bernhard,

if the persons sharing that user account connect from different clients (i.e. not from some jump server) you could try setting "Reconnect only from original client" in the "Sessions" tab of your RDP user in AD. 

Evgenij Smirnov

http://evgenij.smirnov.de

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 10:49 AM
  • I may have found an answer in superuser.com

https://superuser.com/questions/1131739/windows-server-2012-rdp-session-taken-over-by-another

Is there a way to keep the 2nd session from kicking off the first, or send them a message that a session is in progress?

Yes this is possible. There are two methods:

1. Group Policy - Open gpedit.msc and navigate to Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Connections\. Set Restrict Remote Desktop Services users to a single Remote Desktop Services session to Disabled.
    2. Registry - Using regedit.exe, navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server. Set fSingleSessionPerUser to REG_DWORD 0x00000000.

Not sure if this is correct. It seems odd that it shall be disabled when I would have thought it should be enabled.

Regards,

Bernhard.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 12:35 PM
  • Hi,

Both the GP and registry configuration you had mentioned have the same function, force user for only one session.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:35 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang  

Monday, October 21, 2019 2:34 AM