none
how to disable favorites & library fom explorer in windows 2008r2

Question

• hi,
    we want to remove favorite & library from explorer. we tried searching GP but cant find any settings. can you pls tell me how todo it

rgds

sanjay
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 10:37 PM

Answers

• OK - I've managed to find my own answer to this.  If your interested, here is how I did it:

* Using GPMC (you could do this via gpedit.msc locally if you liked) I opened our default server GPO (test environment of course)
    * Browsed to COMPUTER CONFIGURATION | POLICIES | WINDOWS SETTINGS | SECURITY SETTINGS | REGISTRY
    * Created an entry for each of the above ShellFolder's, select "Administrator" on the owner tab and selecting apply.  Used the setting to "Configure this key then replace existing permissions on all subkeys with inheritable permissions"
    * Applied the registry changes via a Group Policy Preference
    * Did a "gpupdate /force" on the server, and the changes happened successfully
    Monday, February 15, 2010 1:41 AM

All replies

• I thing you can do it using a registry key like this guide :

http://www.liutilities.com/products/registrybooster/tweaklibrary/tweaks/10163/

Best Regards Mohammad Nasiri
    Network is my LOVE
    Monday, February 08, 2010 7:57 AM
  • Hi,

By default, Windows Server 2008 R2 does not provides Group Policy to disable or turn off Favorites and Libraries feature in Explorer. You can modify registry key to hide them.

Note: Please backup the key first.

1. For Favorites, the key is:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder]

"Attributes"=dword:a0900100

Changing a0900100 to a9400100 will hide Favorites from Navigation Pane.

2. For Libraries, the key is:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder]

"Attributes"=dword:b080010d

Changing b080010d to b090010d will hide Libraries from Navigation Pane.

Note: You need to take ownership the ShellFolder before changing the value of Attributes.

Regards,

Bruce

• Edited by Bruce-Liu Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:50 AM
    Monday, February 08, 2010 8:30 AM
  • Hi,

By default, Windows Server 2008 R2 does not provides Group Policy to disable or turn off Favorites and Libraries feature in Explorer. You can modify registry key to hide them.

Note: Please backup the key first.

1. For Favorites, the key is:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder]

"Attributes"=dword:a0900100

Changing a0900100 to a9400100 will hide Favorites from Navigation Pane.

2. For Libraries, the key is:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder]

"Attributes"=dword:b080010d

Changing b080010d to a9400100 will hide Libraries from Navigation Pane.

Note: You need to take ownership the ShellFolder before changing the value of Attributes.

Regards,

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info, but i cant seem to get it working.
    I`m doing this on a remote desktop session host server, i rebooted after the change (i only did it for libraries) and i still get libraries in the navigation pane.

beside that is there a way to redirect (based on user group) the public libraries to another folder lets say a shared data.
    I like the idea of libraries from a user point of view. But user get confused, they both have a shared data network share and public libraries..

regards,

Hans de Jongh
    • Edited by Hans de Jongh Monday, February 08, 2010 9:26 PM gram error
    Monday, February 08, 2010 9:26 PM
  • Hi Hans,

Sorry for the inconvenience. The value of Attributes for Libraries should be changed to b090010d, not a9400100.

I have tested on my side and it works fine.

Regards,

Bruce

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:54 AM
  • Hi Bruce,

Just to clarify, this is purely to hide the Libraries function, isn't it? It doesn't actually stop it from running? Using our Windows 7 machines as an example, the value you specified above for the Libraries Attributes already exists with the value you specified to change it to.

What we're struggling with in our environment is that when a user double-clicks on My Computer, followed by selection Libraries/Documents from the left panel, beneath the subheading of Documents Library is a status line displaying "Includes: 2 locations". Given we've gone out of our way to implement a folder redirection structure, we really don't want this functionality at all, but when I explored the group policy approach for removing this, I also ended up disabling the search functionality which meant the search bar in the Start menu was useless.

Is there no other way at all of getting Libraries out of our corporate environments? The reason I ask is because once folders have been redirected, we neither want another location to be possibly chosen, and could really do without the gold bar that is placed above the heading (similar to IE's ActiveX installation notification bar) stating that "Some library features are unavailable due to unsupported library locations".

The only way to remedy this from what little I've read via the help system is either to index the location or make it available offline. I can tell you right now, neither is going to happen across the corporate floor. Only laptop users will have the offline options, and we're most assuredly not letting all and sundry hit the file server with an indexing service.

Cheers,
    Lain

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 8:31 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I'd like to look at applying this via Group Policy Preferences, and using the ability to modify registry settings.  Does anyone know if there is a way to script the taking ownership section of the ShellFolder?  I've successfully applied the changes via preferences, but only if I take ownership of the folder before the policy is applied.  Of course, manually doing the ownership side of things, you may as well do the rest - but of course a pest to do on every server built in the organisation.  If there is a way to script the ownership of a folder, then it would be very helpful.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 1:11 AM
  • OK - I've managed to find my own answer to this.  If your interested, here is how I did it:

* Using GPMC (you could do this via gpedit.msc locally if you liked) I opened our default server GPO (test environment of course)
    * Browsed to COMPUTER CONFIGURATION | POLICIES | WINDOWS SETTINGS | SECURITY SETTINGS | REGISTRY
    * Created an entry for each of the above ShellFolder's, select "Administrator" on the owner tab and selecting apply.  Used the setting to "Configure this key then replace existing permissions on all subkeys with inheritable permissions"
    * Applied the registry changes via a Group Policy Preference
    * Did a "gpupdate /force" on the server, and the changes happened successfully
    Monday, February 15, 2010 1:41 AM
  • well, this works somewhat.  It hides Libraries on the main explorer windows, but if you open notepad.exe and save a file, libraries is the default place still to save files to. and its accessible.  just FYI.
    Hope this helps,

Kristin L. Griffin

Co-Author of the Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services Resource Kit (and a SUPER BIG fan of the Microsoft RDV Team!!!) 

My RDS blog: blog.kristinlgriffin.com
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:08 PM
  • If someone is interested in, I got a working solution. Also works in openFileDialogs.

Download the free tool at the end of the article: http://www.s-inn.de/blog/post/remove-Libraries-Favorites-in-windows-explorer-navigation-pane.aspx

Saturday, July 24, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Thank you very much.....This appears to have taken care of my issue.

http://www.s-inn.de/blog/post/remove-Libraries-Favorites-in-windows-explorer-navigation-pane.aspx

Monday, November 01, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Guys,

Great solution... the tool has also worked for me!

Microsoft Partner
    Friday, December 10, 2010 11:21 AM
  • First, I want to applaud you & thank you for this solution. Although I am a newbie at server installation, I have spent a week looking for such a solution and trying out other suggestions.

Of course, I would now like to ask for a follow-up solution to a related problem.

Is it possible, to have these HIDE effects only apply to users who are NOT members of the Administrators group  ?

thanks again, rick

using Win 2008 Server R2 for RDS only (no Active Directory; hence no GPMC only Local Group Policy editor)

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 9:53 PM
  • Hi Rick,

I can't think of a way in which you would be able to do this on a per-group basis without a GPO (even with a GPO, I doubt it).  I have no idea what the tool listed here is capable of doing (I didn't go to the effort of translation).  As it is a registry change that requires a reboot, not even some form of login script would do the change as per the users rights.  Someone else may have other ideas, but where this solution lies in the registry, I can't see it being done, but someone out there might have something.  If you find something, post it here though.

I would actually like to see Microsoft further extend Group Policy Preferences though to include views such as this.  Preferences are AWESOME, but it's like they haven't gone all the way just yet.  Still not going to be a solution to your question, but thought I would throw it out there as a way of saying "Please Microsoft, more Preferences PLEASE".

Matt

Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:25 AM
  • Hi Rick,

I can't think of a way in which you would be able to do this on a per-group basis without a GPO (even with a GPO, I doubt it).  I have no idea what the tool listed here is capable of doing (I didn't go to the effort of translation).  As it is a registry change that requires a reboot, not even some form of login script would do the change as per the users rights.  Someone else may have other ideas, but where this solution lies in the registry, I can't see it being done, but someone out there might have something.  If you find something, post it here though.

I would actually like to see Microsoft further extend Group Policy Preferences though to include views such as this.  Preferences are AWESOME, but it's like they haven't gone all the way just yet.  Still not going to be a solution to your question, but thought I would throw it out there as a way of saying "Please Microsoft, more Preferences PLEASE".

Matt

Hello Matt

I finally bit-the-bullet and used the 'tool' from above (thanks again to 'andif') to hide Network&Favorites icons in the Explorer navigation pane for all users; works like a charm.

Now, I would like to take up a related task. I want to redirect the 'Public folders' (e.g. C:\Users\Public & all its related subfolders e.g. C:\Users\Public\Documents, C:\Users\Public\Music etc etc) to a different local drive (e.g. E:\Users\Public).

It appears that I could do this using Group Policy Management Console (gpmc) but gpmc requires an Active Directory environment that I do not have. I do have Local Group Policy Object editor, but another user informed me that folder-redirection cannot be done with Local Group Policy. 

Still another user suggested I look into manipulating shell libraries for folder redirection and MS shows examples ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976027 ) of how-to programmatically manipulate Windows 7 shell libraries. However, this approach seems to be a bit much for a newbie like myself, so I am asking whether any of the users here might be able to offer a more straightforward solution.

rick

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 8:45 PM
  • You wrote:

... "Some library features are unavailable due to unsupported library locations".

Lain

Hi,

I'm guessing you've redirected to a DFS structure. There's a long-standing BUG when attempting to add a DFS-hosted folder to a Library that produces the "location must be indexed" error. If you (for test purposes) add a network location that is just a simple share (not via DFS) you will see that this error is not produced. You can use the same share that the DFS mount pount is linked to!

Any location you add to a library must have been indexed by the WDS service or its equivalent on the server. However, even if indexing is running perfectly on the remote server, attempts to access via DFS will fail.

The most verbose post on this is here, however since there's no progress in that thread for more than 3 years, don't hold your collective breaths!

How MS can allow this serious bug to remain uncorrected for 3+ years in an area used by so many corporates is beyond me. In my latest customer, migrating from XP, I've had to recommend simply turning off Libraries completely, which is how I came to this particular thread.

Richard Sargeant, MCT, MCSE, MCITP, long-standing sufferer.

RS
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:08 PM
  • Brilliant utility, solved my issues. Thanks.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:38 PM
  • I use with succes GPP Registry at Computer level to push those two registry keys.

" Never panic before reboot ! "

Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:19 PM
  • Hi,

Can you undo the tool (uninstall) after you have applied it ?

I need it to only hide and not disable or remove write access as another program must be able to write to it still?

JUD

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:07 PM
  • HI Bruce-Liu

Thank you very much , I have changed same and it's worked fine ...........

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:16 PM
  • Please let me know how to Disable Network and computer from Navigation Pane ......
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:03 PM