none
RDS 2016 deployment over Citrix Netscaler as load balancer. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to create RDS deployment based on Windows Server 2016. Idea is to load-balance RDSH servers via Citrix Netscaler. I have some questions in regards to that deployment. 

Environment: 10 RDSH servers + 2 RDS Connection Brokers + 1 License server. All RDSH servers will be available over NS VIP. 

1. Is RDS Broker server needed if Netscaler is in front of deployment?
    2. Will Citrix Netscaler use RDS broker as point to verify whether user has active session or disconnected session?
    3. If there is no need to use Gateway/web interface, is it necessary to create collection?

Thank you in advance,

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

it depends what you are planning to do.

if you just load-balance connections to the Session Hosts - then you do not have a RDS Deployment.

In this case you should prepare some VM´s, harden them and loadbalance rdp-connections via Netscaler - so you have published some RDP-Servers.

A RDS-Broker is the heart component of RDS-Deployment. First this component loadbalances the traffic to the RDSH itself. Further via RDS Broker you have the possibility to manage those RD Session Hosts, e.g. like do not allow RDS-Connection in case of maintenance or publish some RemoteApps.

To manage Session Connection (Allow / Not Allow) connections to the sessions it is even possibile through netscaler -> Remove the affected Servers from the load balancing Service Group in Netscaler.  But i recommend managing the rds environment through RDS Broker (pretty straight forward).

A Collection is kind of Server Group you want to provide - if you just simply want to publish some blank VM´s you will not need a collection.

But when your users have some special requirements, e.g. Graphical Designers need special VM´s with special Apps, Management and Marketing will need different requirements. In this case you need to create session collections.

It depends on what you are planning to do.

regards, pat

• Proposed as answer by p5ch4dd4ch Thursday, September 19, 2019 6:15 AM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:23 PM
  • Thank you for response. 

Thing is, I would like to use Netscaler as Load Balancer for RDSH servers and combine it together with RDS Broker, because goal is to use possibilty to reconnect to existing/disconnected sessions.
    Users will connect directly via mstsc to VIP. 

I found some sources, where Citrix says it is possible, but I cannot see any reference architecture or described scenario with this deployment.

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/netscaler/12/load-balancing/load-balancing-common-protocols/lb-rdp-servers.html

Is mstshash cookie still in use for Windows Server 2016 deployments?
    If RDS 2016 broker can be combined with Netscaler I would appreciate any hints how it should be configured.

Br

• Edited by Mintor[] Wednesday, September 18, 2019 2:33 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 2:26 PM
  • Hi,

Mstshash cookie is still used:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/windows_protocols/ms-rdpbcgr/18a27ef9-6f9a-4501-b000-94b1fe3c2c10

Question about Citrix, I would recommend you to contact the Citrix supporter and confirm with them about the details:
    https://discussions.citrix.com/forum/1370-support-forums/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 3:08 AM
  • Hi,

as an additional for you, please take a look into the following articles:

https://bretty.me.uk/load-balancing-and-presenting-microsoft-rds-2016-tp5-using-citrix-netscaler-unified-gateway/

Here´s a link to a similar thread which has been solved:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/e7af1df8-0871-49a3-b865-41f574e05c5e/rds-2016-load-balancing?forum=winserverTS

Please take this as an additional information, i have not configured load balancings rds with netscaler so far. I only have configured Netscaler Load Balancing for XenDesktop..

regards,

pat

• Proposed as answer by p5ch4dd4ch Thursday, September 19, 2019 6:15 AM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 6:14 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang    

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 8:17 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, September 26, 2019 9:33 AM