none
Backup with WBADMIN or PowerShell RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I wish to use WBADMIN with Windows Server 2008 R2. I don't want to start from scratch from the WBADMIN command line reference.

Is there a place where I can find some script that I can customize to suit my needs.

Help greatly appreciated.

Same question with PowerShell.

Nicolas

Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to description, it seems that you’d like to do the backup to a networking location.

Actually, if you do a backup to a networking location, it is a full backup every time, check the section in this article. http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2009/04/13/customizing-windows-server-backup-schedule.aspx

You can use a network location (i.e. \\servername\foldername) as a backup target in above commands. However, network backups will save only the latest version of the backup, deleting the previous version, as multiple versions on the network share are not supported.

Such being the case, in fact, you are intending to do a full backup on a networking location at 11:00 pm every day, I think the scripts in above article can meet your needs properly.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

Friday, August 31, 2012 7:10 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

It doesn't work very well. I am a bit tired with the VSSWriter issues and decifering the Event ID 517 messages... And the "only" full backup is a serious limitation.

I'll for COBIAN Backup which seems to perfectly suit my needs.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Nicolas

Monday, September 3, 2012 4:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

At first, I’d like to know what are your requirements?

If you are intending to back up your server by using Windows Server Backup WBADMIN, here are some scripts for you.

Customizing Windows Server Backup Schedule

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2009/04/13/customizing-windows-server-backup-schedule.aspx

If you have any additional needs, please let me know, I will be happy to help you.

Best regards,

Friday, August 31, 2012 3:29 AM
  • Thanks Jeff,

I had already seen this link.

My requirements are:

Daily:

Incremental with a different destination backup every day. For example :

\\nas\save\monday on Monday at 11:00 pm

\\nas\save\tuesday on Tusday at 11:00 pm

etc.

Monthly:

Full to \\nas\save\monthly on the First Sunday of every month at 10:00 am, with the System backup as well

WBADMIN seems simpler than PowerShell. But PowerShell is maybe more powerfull and is clearly the right direction for all the admin tasks.

Thanks for your help.

Nicolas

Friday, August 31, 2012 4:45 AM
  • Hi,

According to description, it seems that you’d like to do the backup to a networking location.

Actually, if you do a backup to a networking location, it is a full backup every time, check the section in this article. http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2009/04/13/customizing-windows-server-backup-schedule.aspx

You can use a network location (i.e. \\servername\foldername) as a backup target in above commands. However, network backups will save only the latest version of the backup, deleting the previous version, as multiple versions on the network share are not supported.

Such being the case, in fact, you are intending to do a full backup on a networking location at 11:00 pm every day, I think the scripts in above article can meet your needs properly.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

Friday, August 31, 2012 7:10 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going?

If you have any additional questions, please let me know, I will be happy to help you.

Best regards,

Monday, September 3, 2012 9:06 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

It doesn't work very well. I am a bit tired with the VSSWriter issues and decifering the Event ID 517 messages... And the "only" full backup is a serious limitation.

I'll for COBIAN Backup which seems to perfectly suit my needs.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Nicolas

Monday, September 3, 2012 4:10 PM