none
Failed to open gpmc.msc

Question

• Hi,

I have Windows 2003 server R2 64 bit in my PC. Some weeks ago my PC effected with virus, now when i use to open group policy from Start --> Run--> and type gpmc.msc to open Group policy Management console, it fails to open and the error message displays: "Windows cannot find 'gpmc.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click search".

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 4:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• Kay5ive,

You can try to run mmc and add gpmc.msc as a snapin. Once GPMC is visible to you then you can save it somewhere on your desktop for further use.

MCSE Certified

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 4:35 AM
  • Reinstallation of gpmc should fix the issue. Also run sfc /scannow from cmd which might fix any broken dll files on the OS.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 5:22 AM
  • Hi,

Could you open the 'gpedit.msc'? If not , please try the following method,

Copy gpedit.msc from c:\windows\system32 to c:\windows\syswow64

And this thread may help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/b77ecf45-fd05-4bf3-8014-64654cbf796d

If the issue is not resolved, please reinstall gpmc to test.

Hope it helps!

Regards.

Vivian Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:43 AM
  • yes, gpedit.msc is opening in my server.
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:34 AM
  • STOP FINALLY TO  ADDRESS TO OLD ANSWER  (2003 !!! NOW THAT WE ARE IN 2018),GENERATE  A LOT OF MISANDESTANDING ,THE THREAD DOES NOT RESOLVE AT ALL  ANYTHING, AS THERE ARE TOO MANY UPDATES 

OCCURRED IN THE MEANTIME!!! XCUSE ELEMENTARY ENGLISH...

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 2:29 PM
  • Gpmc template file might corrupt. It can be deleted and it is located in user's appdata location: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\MMC.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2018 1:03 PM