none
"Object Picker cannot open because no locations from which to choose objects can be found"

Question

• Hi,

When I try in AD management console in the domain controller to add a new group for a user I get the following error:

"Object Picker cannot open because no locations from which to choose objects can be found" error message when you try to select objects from an Active Directory domain in Windows 2000

Our domain controller is a W2000 cluster (two W2000 advanced server machines) and this happens in one of the nodes of the controller while in the other node it Works well (the difference between them is where it fails, has the resources: print, file sharing and quorum services). Both nodes of the controller have the remote registry service disabled and in the node where it fails when you start this service it works well but I don`t think this is the reason because in the other node with remote registry service disabled it works. Solutions from the following support articles don`t work:

kb 263231

kb 284914

I have checked that the situation is independent of the domain administrator who tries to add the group to the user.

Can anybody help me? Which is the reason of this different behaviour from one cluster node to another ?

Thanks.

Saturday, November 8, 2014 5:31 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately Windows 2000 is NOT supported any more. Try to upgrade to operating system that is currently supported.

Take attention to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816818

Rgds

Milos

Saturday, November 8, 2014 8:59 PM
  • Hi Milos,

Thanks for your answer but I think this is not the case because the problem is not with NTFS and we don' have these problems:

• Users or groups that have Full Control access cannot delegate permissions.
    • Users who have Full Control access cannot make permission changes on a DFS share.
    • If you give the non-privileged user the right to log on locally and you log on locally to the file server where the error message occurs, you can successfully edit the ACL.

It only happens with the AD management console. Now, for us it is not posible to upgrade the system.

Sunday, November 9, 2014 2:50 PM