none
Event 1207, Source: Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering-Cluster network name resource 'Network Name' cannot be brought online

Question

• Hi,

The following event is logged daily on my SCC mailbox server.

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering
    Date:          8/26/2012 11:17:14 AM
    Event ID:      1207
    Task Category: Network Name Resource
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      MAILBOX01.DOMAIN.LOCAL
    Description:
    Cluster network name resource 'Network Name (MAIL01)' cannot be brought online. The computer object associated with the resource could not be updated in domain 'DOMAIN.LOCAL' for the following reason:
    Unable to update password for computer account.

The text for the associated error code is: Access is denied.

The cluster identity 'CLUSTER01$' may lack permissions required to update the object. Please work with your domain administrator to ensure that the cluster identity can update computer objects in the domain.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering" Guid="{baf908ea-3421-4ca9-9b84-6689b8c6f85f}" />
        <EventID>1207</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>19</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-08-26T08:17:14.773Z" />
        <EventRecordID>541802</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="6364" ThreadID="8036" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>MAILBOX01.DOMAIN.LOCAL</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="ResourceName">Network Name (MAIL01)</Data>
        <Data Name="DomainName">DOMAIN.LOCAL</Data>
        <Data Name="FailureString">Unable to update password for computer account</Data>
        <Data Name="Status">Access is denied.
    </Data>
        <Data Name="ClusterIdentity">CLUSTER01$</Data>
        <Data Name="BinaryParameterLength">4</Data>
        <Data Name="BinaryData">05000000</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

The thing is my Cluster name resource is in fact ONLINE. The Cluster identity does have the necessary permission to update the object. Basically everything is working as it's supposed to. Still I am getting this event once daily at a particular time.

I would like to know why I am getting this event and any way to get rid of it? 

Thanks in advance

Monday, August 27, 2012 5:49 AM

All replies

• Do you have any Read-Only Domain Controllers on your network?
    Monday, August 27, 2012 7:44 AM
  • Hi,

Please see if any of the following discussions helps

The Cluster Network Name is Not Online

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverClustering/thread/743d6698-fc4a-4e55-95f0-648808e4ab32

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/virtualmachinemgrclustering/thread/80b4fcb5-8781-4ce7-9202-2d1e875d04bb

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

- .... .- -. -.- ... --..-- ... .- -. - --- ... ....

Monday, August 27, 2012 8:07 AM
  • Do you have any Read-Only Domain Controllers on your network?

yes i do

thanks for the reply

Monday, August 27, 2012 8:15 AM
  • Hi,

Please see if any of the following discussions helps

The Cluster Network Name is Not Online

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverClustering/thread/743d6698-fc4a-4e55-95f0-648808e4ab32

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/virtualmachinemgrclustering/thread/80b4fcb5-8781-4ce7-9202-2d1e875d04bb

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Those dont apply to me as I mentioned that Cluster name is in fact ONLINE but i am still getting the event
    Monday, August 27, 2012 8:18 AM
  • If it is feasible, schedule a downtime and reboot the server in question.

Also, see if following KB article helps

Event ID 1207 — Active Directory Permissions for Cluster Accounts

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd353998(v=ws.10)

Monday, August 27, 2012 8:28 AM
  • If it is feasible, schedule a downtime and reboot the server in question.

Also, see if following KB article helps

Event ID 1207 — Active Directory Permissions for Cluster Accounts

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd353998(v=ws.10)

Thanks for the reply. Again as I mentioned in my original post, all the necessary permissions have already been set. I have already tried rebooting the server but it has no effect whatsoever.
    Monday, August 27, 2012 8:38 AM
  • That is strange ! Sorry, I don't have any clue further. Other members might have some insight on this.

Monday, August 27, 2012 8:49 AM
  • any ideas?
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:17 AM
  • I'm wondering if the cluster is attempting to renew the cluster computer account pwd on a read-only domain controller (which would fail).
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:45 AM
  • Hi there,

I'm having exactly the same problem for over a year now.

It reoccurs nearly every two to three months, sadly it is not every 90days when the password get updated.
    Affected are every Name Objects in the cluster. (Oracle Server computername, File Server computername, MSDTC computername)

The first thing I did was giving the CNO Full control to every VCO in AD but this doesn't help.

It looks like, that once, when the Cluster Name failed I could use "Repair AD Object" on the cluster name and that does the trick, but only for the cluster name.
    I've digged through the internet but can't find any clue...

The names are online, the properties of the the Kerberos Status shows "access is denied".

And I don't have an RODC just one physical (all FSMOs) and one virtual DC.

Everything is working fine; the real problem is that every 15 Minutes an event is raised!!

Olaf

Monday, September 17, 2012 12:01 PM
  • so i guess the only option is to ignore this, for the time being at least :(
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:53 AM
  • I am having the same issue as well.  The CNO has full control of the OU where it resides, and for me the error only occurs when the cluster role is moved between nodes.  No RODC's in my environment.  

I wonder if this is an issue of needing to take the CNO offline and online as it is the account being used to update the cluster.  I will attempt this this weekend and report back on Monday.

-Drew

Friday, July 31, 2015 4:21 PM
  • Was this ever resolved and if so what was done to resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, August 24, 2015 3:34 PM
  • i have the same problem

Saturday, October 8, 2016 8:19 AM
  • The issue is that the CNO (the computer object associated with the Cluster Name) does not have 'Reset Password' permissions.  See this doc which discusses:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731002(v=ws.10).aspx

Check the permission on the OU

Thanks!
    Elden

Sunday, October 9, 2016 9:38 PM
    Owner