none
Windows 10 Explorer.exe crash loop RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Were are deploying a new VDI environment with Vmware Horizon 7.4 and Windows 10 1803. This environment has worked with Windows 7 for many years. We are experiencing an issue when people try to connect on their VDI : screen is flashing, and explorer.exe is stuck in a crash loop. 
    We have the following error in the event viewer every second : 

The shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer . exe was restarted.

All we can do is reboot the VM, and the problem is "fixed". But it can appear again after the next reboot.

If it's not enough details, ask me 

Thanks in advance.
    Friday, August 9, 2019 9:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, VM reboot is temporarily helpful for resolving such problem, in general, system reboot will release release the resources already occupied, and stop background process.

Once problem happens, please log on the remote system directly, check Task Manger – Performance tab to confirm resources usage, make sure available free resources are available. Besides, if possible, open Details tab and try to disable 3rd party process manually and confirm that if it is helpful.

Besides, if possible, please choose one of the problematic system, patch it fully with windows update/hotfix, it would be helpful for resolving some known issues and improving the performance. Then, check the result.

You can open Run, type Winver and end with enter to check current OS build, compare the build number with below link to determine current OS patch level – Windows 10 update history:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 12, 2019 1:42 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried to update to the last version of the 1803 windows. It didn't resolve my problem.

I tried to check if some process could be a problem, and I discovered that these 3 was using all the CPU and restarting in loop :

DWM.EXE

TMBMSRV.EXE

and of course explorer.exe 

So I'm looking in this way to find a solution.  

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:31 AM
  • Hi,

Re-start VM in Clean Boot, and do not manually start any 3rd party process, we can open and run some system built-in application, wait for a period of time and confirm that if problem happens again. It will be helpful to determine whether background programs are interfering with it. 

How to perform a clean boot in Windows:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Remi_CDM Monday, August 19, 2019 2:38 PM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

I tried to perform a clean boot, and it looks like our antivirus is the problem. I delayed the start of these process, and it seems working.

Thank you for your help.

We use trend micro as antivirus, I hope it will help someone else.

Monday, August 19, 2019 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to share details. Your share might be helpful for other people who has similar problem. 

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 2:12 AM