none
Hyper-V Fails to take Snapshots RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm having an issue on my Windows Server 2008 R2 Sp1 Hyper-V Server where it fails to take snapshots and only gives a pop-up dialog error box stating:

"Taking a snapshot of <my machine> failed. The operation was passed an invalid parameter."

Another poster had the same issue a while back here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/48b2bedc-1f9b-409c-a198-f6626e3a15d3

Unfortunately, his resolution of uninstalling/reinstalling hyper-v isn't an option for me as this is a production server. 

Oddly, the snapshot DOES get taken and the virtual runs from it, but Hyper-V is not aware of the snapshot and you can't manage it from Hyper-V Manager or from VMM.  I have to either manually merge the file or change out the hard drive to the parent to "revert".  I've tried this on multiple VMs on this server and they all behave the same way.

I've checked the status of the vss writers on the hyper-v servers and there are no errors. 

Thanks for your help!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:04 PM

Answers

• I was able to restart the server on Friday night and the snapshot feature is now working correctly again. 

I upgraded the DPM agent from 2010 to 2012 on this Hyper-V host prior to the issue and I'm wondering if that would have caused this behavior?  I have 4 more hosts to upgrade to DPM 2012 so I'll get to test this out.

Monday, July 2, 2012 2:16 PM

All replies

• Verify permissions on the folders that the VHDs, VMs, and snapshots get stored in to make sure that they line up. Reference another production box side-by-side if you can.

Is there enough storage available for the snapshot?

Philip Elder SBS MVP Blog: http://blog.mpecsinc.ca

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:23 PM
  • Plenty of storage available... good thought though!
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

Did you get the issue only with the existing virtual machines or new created virtual machines?

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:17 AM
  • Hi Vincent,

The issue is happening with existing and new machines.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Hi,

Did you find any other errors?

By the way, if possible, please make a schedule to reboot the Hyper-V host computer to see whether you get the same issue.

Monday, July 2, 2012 8:25 AM
  • I was able to restart the server on Friday night and the snapshot feature is now working correctly again. 

I upgraded the DPM agent from 2010 to 2012 on this Hyper-V host prior to the issue and I'm wondering if that would have caused this behavior?  I have 4 more hosts to upgrade to DPM 2012 so I'll get to test this out.

Monday, July 2, 2012 2:16 PM