none
February 2016 SharePoint 2013 Updates Wrecked SharePoint RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have 3 SharePoint 2013 3-tier environments (dev, prod, & test) running on Windows 2012 Servers. They've been up and running for about 2 years and get patched every month.

    Last week we patched the dev and test environments with the February patches and both environments are now unusable.

    KB3114733

    KB3039768

    KB3114335

    KB3114481

    All of the webapp pages come up with "Sorry, Something went wrong."

    Critical Load control template file /_controltemplates/15/EditPreview.ascx failed: Thread was being aborted.
    Application error when access /Pages/Default.aspx, Error=Request timed out.
    Unexpected System.Web.HttpException: Request timed out.
    High     Getting Error Message for Exception System.Web.HttpException (0x80004005): Request timed out.

    The Central Admin loads, but it's excruciatingly slow (which is not normal) and the health analyzer pages come up with "Sorry, Something went wrong."

    Critical Load control template file /_controltemplates/15/AclEditor.ascx failed: Thread was being aborted.
    Medium Application error when access /Lists/HealthReports/AllItems.aspx, Error=Request timed out.
    Unexpected System.Web.HttpException: Request timed out.
    High Getting Error Message for Exception System.Web.HttpException (0x80004005): Request timed out.

    All 3 of the SharePoint reporting databases are reporting "Database is in compatibility range and upgrade is recommended", but they do not upgrade no matter how many times psconfig.exe is executed.

    We've spent 2 days on the phone with Microsoft tech support with 2 different techs that both ended up taking logs and saying they'd get back to us after they install the patches in their labs. The config wizard has been run numerous times, both from command line and from the GUI, with no change in behavior.

    Permissions to registry settings, temporary .NET files, and LOGS folders have been checked. The configuration cache has been cleared multiple times. Creating an entirely new web application produces the same results.

    We could restore to pre-patch, but then we're stuck - since we don't know what caused the issue we can't move forward with patching any of the environments.

    Has anyone else experienced this? Or fixed it?

    Monday, February 15, 2016 3:51 PM

Answers

  • Eleven days before patching the TST & DEV SharePoint farms we applied an agent-less anti-virus to the farms. Because of the 11 day time frame that they were up and working we hadn't considered it to be a possible suspect. 

    This week, around 14 hours after applying the the agent-less anti-virus to the production farm it started experiencing the same issues as TST and DEV, though we hadn't applied any of the February patches. 

    After deactivating the agent-less anti-virus on the production farm the sites came back up like normal, so we did the same for the TST and DEV environments, and everything is now in working order. 

    Monday, February 22, 2016 7:27 PM

All replies

  • Not expiring it here, although I applied the CU instead of the individual patches. Can you run the Config Wizard instead of psconfig?

    Trevor Seward

            

    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

    Monday, February 15, 2016 4:19 PM
    Moderator
  • Yep, the Config Wizard GUI has been run a few times. It was one of the first things the Microsoft techs tried.
    Monday, February 15, 2016 4:26 PM
  • If you start to run one of these requests that will time out, what do you see on IIS where the request is being made under ServerName -> Worker Processes? Is there a single WP with a high CPU usage? If so, double click on it and see what the request(s) with the highest Time Elapsed are.

    Trevor Seward

            

    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

    Monday, February 15, 2016 4:29 PM
    Moderator
  • Under Worker Processes CPU usage is 0.00 for all Application Pools. I didn't see any of the CPU numbers change before the site went to "Sorry, something went wrong."

    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 4:22 PM
  • Eleven days before patching the TST & DEV SharePoint farms we applied an agent-less anti-virus to the farms. Because of the 11 day time frame that they were up and working we hadn't considered it to be a possible suspect. 

    This week, around 14 hours after applying the the agent-less anti-virus to the production farm it started experiencing the same issues as TST and DEV, though we hadn't applied any of the February patches. 

    After deactivating the agent-less anti-virus on the production farm the sites came back up like normal, so we did the same for the TST and DEV environments, and everything is now in working order. 

    Monday, February 22, 2016 7:27 PM
  • If you use host-based AV, you would need to exclude the following directories:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/952167

    That said, if it is "agent-less", not sure what type of A/V you're using.


    Trevor Seward

            

    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

    Monday, February 22, 2016 7:29 PM
    Moderator