none
SPOOLSV.exe modfying client printer driver registry; printer driver becomes non-functional on client RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm facing an issue with a print driver on client PC being broken.

Problem Description:

During normal operation of some client PCs, the HP Universal Printer driver becomes non functional due to the registry for that driver being modified. All users on an affected client are unable to print to a queue that uses that driver. The problem is per-machine rather than per-user. Printers either produce no output, or garbaled characters on many sheets of paper.

Where the workaround listed below is enacted, there are no known re-occurences of this issue have been observed in our environment (at the time of writing).

Environment: 
     Server - Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise, SP1 + Updates, Dedicated Print Server
     Affected PRinter Driver - HP Universal Printer Driver PCL6 (v5.4)
     Client PCs - Windows 7 x64 Enterprise Edition SP1 + Updates

Troubleshooting undertaken:

Viewing the properties of the printer driver shows that dependant files, printer monitor and help file information is missing. Auditing has been enabled on a specific registry key to locate the process that has modified the associated registry values. No readily identifiable commonalities between machines have been identified as yet.

Workarounds known:

Removal of the printer driver and package from an affected client, followed by a reinstall from the server resolves the problem. In some cases, the driver continues to be listed as in use.  In these instances delting the registry key "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers\Version-3\HP Universal Printing PCL 6 (v5.4)" and restarting the spooler allows for the driver to be downloaded from the print server again.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the source of this issue?  It does seem similar to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverprint/thread/e2acb625-027d-47a9-b4a7-1616e270bcbc - though that has been marked as answered ande there is no solution to the issues we see in that thread.

Supporting Information:

Auditing of the HP printer driver registry key has revealed:
    Windows Registry Audit Logs
    ========================= RECORD STARTS =========================
    Log Name:      Security
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing
    Date:          28/05/2012 15:28:39
    Event ID:      4657
    Task Category: Registry
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Audit Success

Description:
    A registry value was modified.

Subject:
                    Security ID:                         SYSTEM

Logon ID:                             0x3e7

Object:
                    Object Name:                    \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers\Version-3\HP Universal Printing PCL 6 (v5.4)
                    Object Value Name:       Monitor
                    Handle ID:                           0x634
                    Operation Type:                               Existing registry value modified

Process Information:
                    Process ID:                          0x56c
                    Process Name:                  C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe

Change Information:
                    Old Value Type:                                REG_SZ
                    Old Value:                           HPPMOPJL
                    New Value Type:                             REG_SZ
                    New Value:                       

========================== RECORD ENDS ==========================

Description:

Subject:

Object:
                    Object Name:                    \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers\Version-3\HP Universal Printing PCL 6 (v5.4)
                    Object Value Name:       Help File

Process Information:

Change Information:
                    Old Value:                           unidrv.hlp
                    New Value:                       

Description:

Subject:

Object:
                    Object Value Name:       Dependent Files

Process Information:

Change Information:
                    Old Value Type:                                REG_MULTI_SZ (New lines are replaced with *. A * is replaced with **)
                    Old Value:                           hpcui118.dll*hpcpe118.dll*hpcdmc64.dll*hpbcfgre.dll*hpcpu118.cfg*hpc6r118.dll*hpcsm118.gpd*hpc6m118.gpd*hpcst118.dll*hpcur118.dll*hpcpn118.dll*hpcu1186.hpx*hpcsc118.dtd*hpcev118.dll*hpchl118.cab*hpcu118.dem*hpmux118.dll*hpmur118.dll*hpmpm081.dll*hpmpw081.dll*hpmsn118.dll*hpmsl118.dll*hpcsat20.dll*hpcu118u.ini*hpcu1186.xml*hpcls118.dll*hpcss118.dll*pjl.gpd*pclxl.gpd*stdnames.gpd*FxCompChannel_x64.dll*cioum.dll*cioum64.msi*hpcpn118.dll*hpcpp118.dll*pclxl.DLL*unires.dll*unidrvui.dll*stddtype.gdl*stdschem.gdl*stdschmx.gdl*hpcc6118.dll*HPDRVJCT.dll*hppdcompio.dll*hpbuio64.dll*hpfxcomw.dll*hpfie118.dll*hpsysobj.dll*HPSecurePrint64.dll*hpspw118.dll
                    New Value Type:                             REG_MULTI_SZ (New lines are replaced with *. A * is replaced with **)
                    New Value:                       

Event ID:      4663

Description:
    An attempt was made to access an object.

Subject:

Object:
                    Object Server:   Security
                    Object Type:      Key
                    Object Name:    \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers\Version-3\HP Universal Printing PCL 6 (v5.4)
                    Handle ID:           0x634

Process Information:
                    Process ID:          0x56c
                    Process Name:  C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe

Access Request Information:
                    Accesses:            Set key value

Access Mask:     0x2

Print Spooler Admin Logs
    ======================= RECORD STARTS =========================
    Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Admin

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-PrintService

Date:          28/05/2012 15:28:50

Event ID:      372

Task Category: Printing a document

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic Spooler Event,Document Print Job

Description:

The document <FILENAME>, owned by <USERNAME>, failed to print on printer {01B96CA1-1C5A-497B-A667-28239E442049}. Try to print the document again, or restart the print spooler.

Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes: 434804. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 2. Number of pages printed: 0. Client computer: \\<MACHINENAME>. Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 5. Access is denied.

• Edited by ODickenson Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:24 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:21 PM

All replies

• Is the Audit record from the client machine or the server?

The Event log entry should be from the print server but the printer name looks like the CSR printer from the client.  Is Client Side  Rendering disabled on the print shares?   I'd expect the datatype to be RAW by default.

\ControlSet001 is the backup copy of the registry, I'll assume you see this for \CurrentControlSet as well.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:19 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Alan,

The audit record is from the client PC and yes, we do see this in CurrentControlSet too. The same registry keys on the server are unaffected, and the server has required no remedial work for other computers to use the same printer queue without issue whilst this client is in the problem state.

The fact that ControlSet001 is there is a copy and paste mix up on my part.

You are correct in suggesting that client side rendering is not disabled on the print shares at present.

Any thoughts on where our next step might be?

Thanks,

Owen.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:47 PM
  • If Client Side Rendering is enabled and the data is EMF, I do not expect the document to print.  This leads me down the path where the spooler on the client has been forced back to SSR (Server Side Rendering) due to some event or failure.   What is the date of c:\windows\system32\win32spl.dll?

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:59 PM
    Answerer
  • Your expectation matches what we see.

In the details tab on c:\windows\system32\win32spl.dll we see:

Version 7.1.7601.17514
    Date Modified: 21/11/2010 03:24

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:11 PM
  • Environment: 
     Server - Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise, SP1 + Updates, Dedicated Print Server
     Affected PRinter Driver - HP Universal Printer Driver PCL6 (v5.4)
     Client PCs - Windows 7 x64 Enterprise Edition SP1 + Updates

I'd start by getting the March 2012 update for the spooler on the client.  I do not recall that there was anything addressed regarding the details of your specific issue but I know there where some changes to win32spl.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2647753

I will assume that the monitor entry  HPPMOPJL is valid on the client.  Could you confirm this file exists in c:\windows\system32 on the client?  I'd expect this to change on the clent only if someone deleted this entry on the print server.   Also could you make sure that the HP Cue Discovery Service is not running on the clients.  I do not expect it to be installed with the HP Universal driver but since I try to stay clear of this software, I do not know what is included with the package.

Object:
                    Object Value Name:       Monitor

Process Information:

Change Information:
                    Old Value:                           HPPMOPJL
                    New Value:                       

Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:25 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Alan,

I'll see what we can do about the spooler update applied. That will have to go through our change control processes. As I don;t know the root cause as yet, and therefore cannot test if the patch fixes it or not, then that could be challenging.

HPPMOPJL should still be valid on the client, and the file is still in C:\windows\system32.Comparing checksums with a known good client does not reveal any issues and the ACL looks the same,

The HP Cue Discovery Service is not running on the client PC that is affected.

Thanks for your help so far :-)

Owen.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 5:00 PM
  • These print queues a fresh install of the HP UPD v5.4 or an upgrade?  If an upgrade from prior UPD versions, this is the likely cause of your issues. Details in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverprint/thread/6ff6d7e7-2451-447a-abdd-6c89e84a0b0c  

AutoUpgradeUPD is the new official HP tool for upgrading existing print queues which is found in the printer admin pack.

Friday, June 1, 2012 11:33 PM
  • We got exactly the same issue with Xerox GPD V2.2 (PCL5&PCL6).

Any news about the solution?

Monday, June 4, 2012 12:16 PM
  • A 4 day weekend in the UK has kept me quiet :-)

BSOD2600: Tahnks for that link, I'll take a look.

user12344321: No good resolution as yet.  I've opened a call with our support provider, who in turn has escelated to thier resource. 

I will keep the thread updated, and post the response back from the support provider. It's becoming more of a pain point for us with every passing day.

• Edited by ODickenson Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:20 PM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 9:59 AM
  • Hi,

After trying BSOD2600's suggestion, if this issue still occurs, please try to remove users' modify permission from the affected registry keys? 

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.”

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:50 PM
  • BSOD2600: These drivers have not been upgraded, they are a fresh install. Since the print server is brand new, it has never seen earlier versions of the HP UPD drivers. Thanks for your contribution though :-)

Kevin: If I remove the SYSTEM account from the ACL on that key, will the print spooler on my clients still be in a state supported by Microsoft? I'm very reluctant to do that without fully understanding the implications of it.

Alan: I've not been able to apply the print hotfix rollup as yet to the clients, I will struggle to get a speculative change of that nature through our change management process. I am running it on my PC, but the intermittent nature of the problem means that I can't be sure that its solved the issue.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 5:49 PM
  • While I know it doesn't help for solving the problem, I haven't run into this problem yet our environment which appears to be the same as you.  Windows 2008 R2 SP1 print server, mostly XP SP3 clients, and a handful of Win7 SP1 x64 clients.  HP UPD PCL6 5.4, Xerox GPD PS 5.216.12, etc.  

I do have a number of post-SP1 printer related hotfixes installed on the print server and Win7 clients though - List of print related hotfixes post SP1 for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.  Thought about installing them on a few test boxes?

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 6:11 PM
  • Hi all,

We have been working through what looks like the same issue and Surry44 mentioned this post to me.

We have not seen the issue reoccur since changing CSR and applying updates as per this thread:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverprint/thread/e2acb625-027d-47a9-b4a7-1616e270bcbc

Good luck!

Simon.

• Proposed as answer by user12344321 Monday, June 18, 2012 8:12 AM
    Sunday, June 10, 2012 12:19 PM
  • All,

We will be aiming to apply the Print Spooler CU to our clients some time this week.  We are working with out support providers (and indirectly HP/MS) to establish a root cause of the problem - and isolate any fixes that may be required. 

I'm not desperate to turn off CSR on our print queues, we have a large number of them and pull printing solutions that we use elsewhere will cause us a non-trivial problem when it comes to that being implemented in the forest in question in the forthcoming weeks.

Thanks for your suggestions though :-)

Owen

Monday, June 11, 2012 6:53 AM
  • Hi

We have the same problem. The problem began after migrering to win7 32 bit and  new servers, win2008 .

One user can print out in the morning, later on the same day the print are corrupt. I can reinstall the print drivers or put back the missing keys in registry (dependent files, monitor, help file). After that it can go weeks or months before the same users have the same issues again. I had the same problem and reinstall the drivers in januari.  So far my drivers are ok.

It´s only the default printer and only network printers who became corrupt. If the user have more network printers and they uses different drivers, only printers with the same drivers are corrupt.

We have Konica Minolta, HP and Xerox printers, new and old clients, laptops and workstation.   We are getting 4-5 phone calls every day from users who have this problem.

Depends on what drivers they are using, printing problems are little different. Hp driver looks like the print is going to the printer but nothing happens, Xerox and Minolta printers  are missing functions like printing in A3.

The users who tries to print after the drivers come corrupt have this in printlogg, Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Admin : Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes: 434804. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 2. Number of pages printed: 0. Client computer:\\<MACHINENAME>. Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 5. Access is denied.

I wonder if file version and langue on win32spl.dll and hppmopjl.dll can be a problem? We had to different version of win32spl.dll, : 6.1.7600.16385, Date: 2009-07-14 and 6.1.7600.20787, date 2010.08.21  (both Swedish language) on clients. hppmopjl.dll 0.3.261.5 Date: 2009-02-25 in English 

Can redirected printers on clients be a problem?

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:00 AM
  • Hi Simon,

we have done the steps 2&3.

No new issues until now for one week (normally we got 2-3 calls at the IT a day)

Thank You for the great feedback!

Monday, June 18, 2012 8:15 AM
  • user12344321 - can you comment if you only disabled CSR or did you also disable Asynchronous RPC on the Windows 7 clients?

Can anyone comment if you've been able to correlate that the affected printers only users' default printers?

Can you please set up some data collection on a cross set of users in hopes that we can catch what is changing the registry settings in the act?

We can run Procmon in a way that uses very little memory, saves the events to a backing file rather than the paging file, and can be run remotely by an admin.

Below are the steps for configuring Procmon to only grab events that access a reg key called Dependent Files:

1.       Set Procmon to drop filtered events under Filter.
    2.       Set the Filter to “Path Contains ‘Dependent Files’”
    3.       File - Export Configuration to save the configuration to a file (ProcmonConfiguration.pmc is the default.  Use “DepFiles.pmc”)
    4.       Save Procmon.exe and DepFiles.pmc to c:\procmon folder on the client.1.      

Command line for Procmon on the client:

Procmon /accepteula /backingfile c:\procmon\DepFiles.pml /LoadConfig DepFiles.pmc /Quiet

To use PSExec to run remotely:
    1.       Copy procmon and config file to \\computername\admin$ share.
    2.       Run the following command from the remote computer:

Psexec \\<computername  /accepteula -s  -u admin username  Procmon /accepteula /backingfile <path\filename.pml> /LoadConfig <config file>

This should get us the Procmon data for the stack information for anything touching the Dependent Files key of any printer.  Please reply to this post with the Procmon log attached or a link to it.

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:56 PM
  • We have been having the exact same issue and don't want to turn on SSR.  We will update results in our thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverprint/thread/08bc6b4b-0190-40b0-be16-8b82249148e4

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:57 PM
  • It looks like the real issue is when you redirect a print server Microsoft's spooler.exe service breaks whatever driver is installed. We recently redirected our print server again and went through the exact same issue again with multiple print drivers being corrupted a day. Myself and a colleague put together a .vbs script and rolled it into an .exe to fix printers for our help desk. They simply put in the computer name that is experiencing an issue and it will scan their registry for blank values in the "Dependent Files" key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers\Version-3.  If it finds it it will delete it and restart the print spooler service on that computer prompting it to re-download the driver.

This will work regardless of the domain, printer brand or driver you are using. We have seen corrupted drivers on and this has been tested with Xerox, Samsung and HP printers with multiple driver versions.  When run it will pop up a box letting you know the driver it deleted and when it is done restarting the print spooler. If no corrupt drivers are found it will also let you know. I would recommend telling your users to restart the application they are attempting to print from for best results.

Rem Created 6/3/2013
    Rem Created by Nathan Warren and Trevor McClanahan
    Rem We were tired of fixing printer drivers after redirecting to a new print server
    Rem Fix for the DEFAULT printer driver becoming corrupted
    Rem This script will search for empty data values in the Dependant Files Reg key signifying a corrupt driver
    Rem If it finds a blank value it will delete the key associated and restart the print spooler prompting the computer to redownload the driver from the print server

Const HKLM = &h80000002

Const StartKey    = "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers\Version-3"
    Const SearchValue = "Dependent Files"
    Const MatcharrValues   = ""
    dim result

strComputer = InputBox("Enter Name of the Remote Computer:","Corrupt Printer Driver")
    result = False

Set reg = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
        & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" _
        & strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
        & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" _
        & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

FindAndDeleteKey StartKey 
    RestartSpooler
    Sub FindAndDeleteKey(key)
      WScript.Echo "[HKLM\" & key & "]"
      rc = reg.GetMultiStringValue(HKLM, key, SearchValue, arrValues)
      If Not IsNull(arrValues) Then
      For Each strValue In ArrValues
        WScript.Echo """" & SearchValue & """=""" & strvalue & """"
    	next
    	For Each strValue In ArrValues
        If StrValue = MatcharrValues Then
          DelKey HKLM, key
    	  result = True
    	  Exit Sub
        End If 
    	Next
      End If

reg.EnumKey HKLM, key, subkeys
      If Not IsNull(subkeys) Then
        For Each sk In subkeys
          FindAndDeleteKey key & "\" & sk
        Next
      End If
    End Sub

Sub DelKey(root, key)
      reg.EnumKey root, key, subkeys
      If Not IsNull(subkeys) Then
        For Each sk In subkeys
          DelKey root, key & "\" & sk
        Next
      End If
      rc = reg.DeleteKey(root, key)
      msgbox "Deleting [HKLM\" & key & "]"
     End Sub

Sub Message()
    	If result = True Then
    	msgbox "Corrupt Driver Deleted and Spooler Restarted"
    		else
    	msgbox "No Problems Found"
    	End If
    End sub

Sub RestartSpooler()

Set colListOfServices = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    ("Select * from Win32_Service Where DisplayName ='Print Spooler'")
    For Each objService in colListOfServices
          objService.StopService()
        Wscript.Echo "Stopped Spooler service"
          Wscript.Sleep(5000)
        objService.StartService()
        Wscript.Echo "Started Spooler service"

Next

End Sub

• Proposed as answer by 5cript3d Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:06 PM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:06 PM
  • We are having the same issue described (corrupt or garbled output on multiple pages on HP UPD print). I appreciate the work around scripted solution posted as the "answer", and we are looking at using it. However, this isn't really a fix, it is a work-around. Does anyone know if Microsoft is aware of the problem and is working on a permanent solution?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverprint/thread/e2acb625-027d-47a9-b4a7-1616e270bcbc

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverprint/thread/19bb64cc-249e-4f36-a02d-2b43703d5a0d

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverprint/thread/08bc6b4b-0190-40b0-be16-8b82249148e4

New Windows Server 2008 R2 print servers, Windows 7 64bit clients using, machine-policy printer connections. KB2647753 installed on both servers and clients. Symptoms observed with "HP Universal Printing PCL 6" (v5.5.0, v5.6.0, and v5.6.1) driver, but not observed on Ricoh Aficio "PCL6 Driver for Universal Print" driver. Symptoms not observed on WinXP SP3 32bit clients.

Monday, June 17, 2013 7:01 PM
  • This is close to resolution. Please see thread at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/e2acb625-027d-47a9-b4a7-1616e270bcbc/print-drivers-on-windows-7-clients-missing-dependent-files#f33d49b3-237d-4714-a06d-edefbb7668f8
    • Proposed as answer by George Perkins Monday, December 2, 2013 4:35 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 3:29 PM
  • I got a phone call from Microsoft Development after asking our Microsoft Premier Agreement Technical Account Manager to escalate. They believe everything is in order and we should apply the hotfix in KB 2896881.

The symptom we have is documented in KB 2864755. It indicates Windows 7. That KB redirects to 2896881.

Although 2896881 isn’t our symptom, because 2864755 redirects us, we should accept 2896881 as our solution. The updated DLLs are shared by Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7; therefore as 2864755 indicates, 2896881 is applicable to the workstation OS symptoms we have observed.

We believe the hotfix is stable, and will apply it to the server OS as well. Some servers do printing and may benefit.

Friday, January 24, 2014 5:38 PM
  • Are you stating that you have applied this hotfix to the workstation OS even though the KB article which includes the hotfix states the prereq. is windows 2008?

Having the same issue constantly for a massive amount of users.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:46 PM
  • Please see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/e2acb625-027d-47a9-b4a7-1616e270bcbc/print-drivers-on-windows-7-clients-missing-dependent-files#f33d49b3-237d-4714-a06d-edefbb7668f8 for current status of this issue.

Yes, we did install 2896881. Microsoft explained (phone call) that although the description in 2896881 says applies to server OS, the referring 2864755 contains applies to client OS.

But in any case, 2896881 does NOT fix the problem described in 2864755 and as of this date Microsoft is trying to collect symptom data in order to develop a fix.

• Proposed as answer by George Perkins Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:26 PM
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:25 PM
  • Has there been any more developments with this issue? 

TH

Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:46 PM