none
Add DaRT to SCCM 2012 R2 boot image without MDT Integration RRS feed

• Question

• We have 2012 R2 CU4 and we have MDOP licensing.  

Ok so I found a number of articles relating to how to add MDOP DaRT Remote Viewer to the boot image when you create a new MDT boot image, but I'd like to just try and add it to SCCM boot image directly and not using MDT.  Just kind of an exercise because I do have MDT integrated, but I am just starting to convert TS over to include MDT stuff.  

Questions:

1. Not using MDT, is there a folder(s) I can put the ToolsX64.cab and ToolsX86.cab in SCCM that will make the option show up in my Optional Components in SCCM 2012 R2 boot image screens?  
    2. Using SCCM with MDT integrated, is there a way to add the DaRT after the boot image is already created?  I could only do it with new ones, not edits.
    3. I don't really want to mount WIM and manually add packages, but I think it could be done this way right?

Thanks in advance!

Find this post helpful? Does this post answer your question? Be sure to mark it appropriately to help others find answers to their searches.

Friday, June 19, 2015 11:00 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I didn't find a article integrate DATR without using MDT. I concur with you, mount the WIM file should work

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 7:15 AM
  • So I tried doing the mount the WIM after creating it from MDT.  It would not add the package ToolsX64.cab.  I was able to add other components from the MDT folder so it seems that the CAB is not the same type to be added directly?

Find this post helpful? Does this post answer your question? Be sure to mark it appropriately to help others find answers to their searches.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 9:30 AM
  • Just found such a blog which may be helpful

ConfigMgr : Adding DaRT 8.1 Remote Viewer to Existing Windows PE4/5 Images

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 7:45 AM
  • Thanks, I was about to post the very same one!  It looks to me though that they are not actually "integrating it" but rather calling it from a file share if I am understanding that right.  Have to dig deeper into that article to really understand it.

• Edited by Chase Roth Wednesday, June 24, 2015 12:40 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2015 12:39 PM
  • I was trying to do the same task on found your question on a google search.   I found the real solution here: http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/335/PowerShell-script-Creating-a-WinPE-5-0-boot-image-for-ConfigMgr-2012-SP1-CU3 in the sample script.

General idea is mount the wim, but use the expand.exe cmd to extract the MDT cab content to image. copy / rename the DartConfig8.dat add to image

Example 

REM Mount image

Dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:c:\winpe.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\temp\MountPointWim

REM Use expand cmd to extract DARTtools to mounted wim

Expand.exe "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Templates\Distribution\Tools\x64\Toolsx64.cab" -F:*.* "C:\temp\MountPointWim"

REM Copy default SCCM OSD Dart config file to wim and rename from DartConfig8.dat to DartConfig.dat

Xcopy "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Templates\DartConfig8.dat" "C:\temp\MountPointWim\Windows\System32\DartConfig.dat"

REM Dismount save changes.

Dism /Unmount-image /MountDir:C:\temp\MountPointWim /commit

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 3:32 PM
  • Hope this helps. Fully automated script to inject DaRT into a current boot image. PowerShell add DaRT Remote Control to SCCM Boot Image Early V2

Cheers,
    Richie
    Consultant
    Blog: http://www.sccmog.com  LinkedIn:

Note: Posts are just here to either get an answer or help with someone with an answer. ConfigMgr FTW!

• Proposed as answer by RichieJSY Sunday, July 29, 2018 11:14 PM
    • Edited by RichieJSY Sunday, July 29, 2018 11:19 PM Link
    Sunday, July 29, 2018 11:14 PM
  • Is there any reason that you don't just use the "prestart" part of the boot image to automatically add the necessary files?

I create:

- a folder structure ...\Dart\Windows\System32 that contains the Dart files as outlined above.

- a command file called Prestart_x64.cmd that does the various copying and starting

@echo off
    xcopy %~dp0* x:\ /s /y
    cmd /c start /min RemoteRecovery.exe -nomessage

Then the following settings in the boot image properties Customization Tab:

Rebuild your boot image and it should just run.

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 11:55 AM