none
Low stress IPv6 RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to IP6. I take care of several simple small business networks with 6 to 15 end users. They do typical straight forward things like Internet, local network applications (SQL), internal IP printing / scanning, NO email hosting and so forth.

From the seminars and online training I have been taking, I totally understand the need for additional IP addresses.

As far as I can tell, for me, a typical small office, I am really not directly impacted if I keep my OS's, applications and hardware up to date or new. Is this basically a correct observation?

Thanks for starting this conversation.

Sunday, September 14, 2014 4:20 AM

All replies

• Yes, you are correct. Keeping your OS's, apps, and hardware up to date or new will almost definitely ensure your equipment is compatible with IPv6 and IPv4.

Even using OS's that date back to Windows Server 2003 have some compatibility with IPv6; though they won't fully support IPv6 functionality. Some older hardware is also not compatible with IPv6 (i.e. some of the printers I have in my network won't accept an IPv6 address, only IPv4).

But, keeping everything up to date or new as you have said will minimize any major impacts on your network's functionality. I would just keep in mind that there may be some applications with some annoying side effects of using IPv6 if the developers haven't fully updated it to support the new protocol. Those kinds of issues will generally be unique to each application.

Best of luck!

Sunday, November 16, 2014 8:50 PM